It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Acne Message Board

  • SweetJade Cleared My Face! Here's how!

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 05-01-2005, 10:20 AM   #31
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran
     
    SweetJade1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Posts: 843
    SweetJade1 HB User
    Re: SweetJade Cleared My Face! Here's how!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Influence
    I've tried proactive. Zit Zap. (Currently Using)
    & Dove. I stopped using Dove since that makes you break out or whatever.(What I heard)
    Zit zap..I've only been using for about 4-5 days now.
    But I don't know if it WORKS...
    The way I got this marks is from scratching the acne/ or zits off..like picking it..
    But around my eye brow's is where I'm getting acne the most now.
    & On my side's of my face.
    I'm 14 years old, I hate having acne.
    I'm so embarrsed of going out to see girls now..
    or even to see my guy friends..
    if you have ANY thing that you KNOW will work..like that worked for you please tell me..I really need help.

    Like what i should eat..what I shouldn't..what cream i should use to heal acne & fade the scars...sorry for so much ..but i just am desperate to get rid of this thing..
    OK, well it really surprises me that Proactive is so popular considering that it does use BP to treat acne. As such, this contributes to marks on the skin as well as bleaching your clothes and towels =/ However the only thing I personally think is safe regarding the ingredients is the Toner, but some people have said it's too harsh. If you have found that this toner is too harsh, stripping your skin, or causing itchiness or a prolonged burning/warming sensation (could be burning your skin) then it may indeed be too strong for your skin and may be contributing to your scarring.

    I know that there are some members that aren't sympathic to former acne sufferers that "complain" because all they have left are red marks, hyperpigmentation, or scarring, but these people fail to remember that getting rid of acne IS only half the battle. Those marks can take up to 2 years to fade if you don't have the right products or nutrients to handle it and sometimes the scars can take even longer! Therefore, it's good that you are concerned about this, but it would be to your advantage to NOT use products that eliminate your acne too quickly at the expense of you getting a burn, mark, or scar as a result.

    Naturally, the more you pick or scratch, the more you irritate your skin and thus the more likely you will get even redder or darker marks on your skin and/or scarring. Therefore don't do this ;-) I've found that Paulas Choice 2% (1% may work) BHA solution is excellant at exfoiliting (it'll dry it out so spot treat) and thus helping acne to heal. You can even apply it on open/sores acne and it won't burn, but it will help decrease the inflammation and close up the acne so it can heal. This is something you can't do with Zit Zap or Bye Bye Blemish if what you are using is that pink stuff that you spot treat with, as it will BURN open acne and it will also burn your eyes (if it gets in it) so be careful when washing around the eye area. If you have a Sally's near by, there's a Skin Lightener they sell in the Nail Products section called All Season Naturals Skin Lightner (little bottle) and I've found that not only does it help lighten marks, but it also helps with certain types of acne.

    Ultimately though, when you are dealing with marks and scars the goal is to exfoilate as this is what removes layers of skin cells that have been damaged. However if you exfoilate too much and/or with a product that is too strong, then it can be too irritating and will do the opposite... give you scars. Certain acne products & skin lightners work this way, but you can also use Apple Cider Vinegar & Water with a few Aspirin (for salycilic acid/BHA) and make your own exfoilant. I've found that 50% Vinegar & 50% Water and 6 aspirin were enough for me. This also helped with some cystic acne I had, but if you find that is too strong for you, you can use less aspirin or vinegar. Once I tried using 75% vinegar and that was too drying for my skin, so you may have to play around with it.

    Of course, you can alter your dietary or nutrient intake which will help you prevent acne on some level, decrease inflammation, decrease pigmenationation & scarring, and encourage your skin to heal faster. Exercising is also good because it promotes circulation throughout your body so that the nutrients go where they need to. Getting enough sleep and drinking enough water is also good. When it comes to nutrients, you want those that will help heal and build new skin. You want good antioxidants (found in colorful vegetables, berries or teas), you want Vitamin C (oranges, kiwi), B Vitamins such as Biotin & Folic Acid & Calcium, which you can get by taking a basic multivitamin. You want 800mcg or 1000mcg of folic acid though as this will help reduce any hyperpigmentation issues. I'm tempted to throw alfafa supplements or the sprouts in here as well as this is what I'm currently taking and it may also be responsible for my skin healing faster and leaving less - no marks or marks that go away much quicker.

    As for the food, because of your age, I would like to think that you don't need a very strict diet. If you consume foods like I mentioned above this should help you. Eat bluberries , eat brocolli, and all sorts of colorful fruits and veggies and you will give your body the nutrients it needs to heal properly. A really powerful supplement though for Vitamin C is Pycnogenol/Pine Bark or less expense one would be Grapeseed Extract, or you can take at least 1000mg/day of Vitamin C. To help prevent acne, you can look for a multivitamin that gives you 10,000IU - 20,000IUs of Vitamin A and if you want more, then you can also take Beta Carotene for any extra Vitamin A your body would like to produce (if skin turns orange, cut back on the beta carotene). However, please don't take high mega doses of Vitamin A (30,000 IU - several 100,000 IUs) without being under doctor supervision.

    If you want to try and prevent your acne through diet, perhaps you would be interested in eating 100% whole grain products or sprouted grains (with no added sugar). If you like oatmeal, just use 100% whole rolled oats and then add your own fruit & flavorings to it instead of buying the packaged stuff. Don't consume sodas, non-100% fruit juices or any fruit juice really. You can do this if you are getting a fruit smoothie though as this contains the most of the whole fruits, such as the fiber to help the metabolize sugars more slowly. So that leaves you with possibly dairy, green/red/white tea, and water. If you get board with that you can use those drink mixes (kool aid type) and make your own drinks using the least amount of sugar possible or you could use xylitol (have a natural food store near by?). I know that derms say there's not connection but if you have a problem with oily skin or enlarged pores eating less fried foods and no trans fats (to your knowledge) would help you out in this respect.

    I could go on about diet, but I don't know how strict you would need to go, but those are some ideas for you. If you have very supportive parents they should be able to help you find those grain products to replace what you are currently eating. They should also be more than happy to have you eat more vegetables ;-) . Say have you ever been on antibiotics for this or any sort of prescrpition topical? How long have you had acne? When did you start getting acne in your eyebrows?

    Thanks so much and I hope this has you helped you a bit!

    Last edited by SweetJade1; 05-01-2005 at 10:59 AM.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 05-02-2005, 09:22 AM   #32
    Influence
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    Influence's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Posts: 46
    Influence HB User
    Re: SweetJade Cleared My Face! Here's how!

    Thanks!
    I've stopped using Zit Zap because it made them go
    away but it BURNED my skin..where it was at.
    I've just been using a bar of soap (Shea butter)
    It's for red marks & helps acne. I love it so far.
    What exact cream did you use?

     
    Old 05-02-2005, 10:00 AM   #33
    PBABY
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    PBABY's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Posts: 425
    PBABY HB User
    Re: SweetJade Cleared My Face! Here's how!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Influence
    Thanks!
    I've stopped using Zit Zap because it made them go
    away but it BURNED my skin..where it was at.
    I've just been using a bar of soap (Shea butter)
    It's for red marks & helps acne. I love it so far.
    What exact cream did you use?
    What is the name of the shea butter soap that you use and where do you get it?

    Thanks!
    Pbaby

     
    Old 05-03-2005, 12:07 PM   #34
    Healthy.J
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Healthy.J's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2004
    Posts: 174
    Healthy.J HB User
    Re: SweetJade Cleared My Face! Here's how!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SweetJade1
    Hmm, I noticed that you aren't thrilled with what others say regarding diet and I'm sorry but for us it's the truth. There's plenty of things that didn't work for me or work well enough but I don't spend my time bashing them or criticizing them in a thread that's talking about them postively. What's the point?

    Now, if you are saying this because you don't believe that diet can cure or control hormonal acne, again, sorry but there's plenty of us that can attest that it does do so AND there's clinically controlled scientific studies to back this up! However, I will admit that there are certain types of hormonal disorders that a diet MAY not work for, such as those that have excess hormones caused by a tumor, but there are hormonal disorders where a change in diet works wonderfully.

    The whole theory behind the way these diets usually work is quite simple and has everything to do with controlling or balancing the body's output of hormones AND inflammatory products. While you stated that you "didn't do anything wrong" most people still neglect to take "something" into account and that's what was causing their problems. Some people need to change everything in their diet, others it's only 1 or 2 food items. While we can make generalizations & suggestions, I honestly can't tell you what those are specifically for YOU, but a good indicator may be based on what type of Hormonal Disorder you have, along with what your's & your family's health history contains. You can share it with us if you honestly want to give this another try... or not. It's entirely up to you, but if not, perhaps you may want to visit an Endocrinologist, if you haven't done so, to get tests run so you can know what type of hormonal disorder you have and what you can do treat it.

    Best of luck!
    In my posts I said that it may work for some people, but not for everybody. All I am saying is sometimes its diet and sometimes it's just plain and simply your hormones/puberty. I was just being blunt and I didn't mean to make you or anyone feel criticized. There have been many posts about diet, most of which I have ignored, but what struck me was that Needzhelp said ďTO CURE YOUR ACNE YOU ABSOLUTLY MUST DIETĒ, as if thatís true for everyone. So my point was speak for yourself, its really not that deep, for you to get all sensitive about it. I am happy for all of those who find ANYTHING that works for them, so keep on teaching to those who will listen. I have been there and done that so I just donít want everyone who reads these posts to think that if they drive themselves crazy trying to take everything out of their diet their acne will disappear. As for the clinically controlled scientific studies, we know how that goes. One study showed that none of the patients had any acne induced diet and from what you say another says most of their patients do. This only proves that different people react differently. No big deal, I respect you and your positive output and I respect Needzhelp. I just had to add my results and opinion, because Needzhelp said this theory was absolute for everyone. As I said congrats to those who have acne that is connected with diet, and have found that dieting works for them, but most of us donít have it that easy, so speak for yourselves.

     
    Old 05-04-2005, 02:43 PM   #35
    realsad
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    realsad's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 266
    realsad HB User
    Re: SweetJade Cleared My Face! Here's how!

    hi i asked this in another thread but suggested to come here, ok, can a food you have eaten your whole life (i am 24) suddenly start making you break out serverly?? when i say suddenly i mean like within a few days to a week?? thanks

    Last edited by realsad; 05-04-2005 at 02:44 PM.

     
    Old 05-04-2005, 03:12 PM   #36
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran
     
    SweetJade1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Posts: 843
    SweetJade1 HB User
    Re: SweetJade Cleared My Face! Here's how!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Healthy.J
    In my posts I said that it may work for some people, but not for everybody. All I am saying is sometimes its diet and sometimes it's just plain and simply your hormones/puberty. I was just being blunt and I didn't mean to make you or anyone feel criticized. There have been many posts about diet, most of which I have ignored, but what struck me was that Needzhelp said ďTO CURE YOUR ACNE YOU ABSOLUTLY MUST DIETĒ, as if thatís true for everyone. So my point was speak for yourself, its really not that deep, for you to get all sensitive about it. I am happy for all of those who find ANYTHING that works for them, so keep on teaching to those who will listen. I have been there and done that so I just donít want everyone who reads these posts to think that if they drive themselves crazy trying to take everything out of their diet their acne will disappear. As for the clinically controlled scientific studies, we know how that goes. One study showed that none of the patients had any acne induced diet and from what you say another says most of their patients do. This only proves that different people react differently. No big deal, I respect you and your positive output and I respect Needzhelp. I just had to add my results and opinion, because Needzhelp said this theory was absolute for everyone. As I said congrats to those who have acne that is connected with diet, and have found that dieting works for them, but most of us donít have it that easy, so speak for yourselves.
    Thanks. I understand what you are saying. It's like every other "cure", nothing works 100% for 100% of everyone. If diet does work for 100% of everyone, except for those that have tumors (that is a bit different), then they'll have to come up with a better method of figuring things out as current methods lead people to feel diet doesn't work for them or that it's "not worth it" to continue trial & error experimentation, etc etc etc.

    Best wishes

     
    Old 05-04-2005, 03:17 PM   #37
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran
     
    SweetJade1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Posts: 843
    SweetJade1 HB User
    Re: SweetJade Cleared My Face! Here's how!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realsad
    hi i asked this in another thread but suggested to come here, ok, can a food you have eaten your whole life (i am 24) suddenly start making you break out serverly?? when i say suddenly i mean like within a few days to a week?? thanks
    Um, what food are you talking about? How did you figure out it may be a problem? However in the general sense, an Intolerant Reaction can develop over prolonged exposure to a particular food/ingredient/toxin, etc. Therefore up until the age of 24 one can have no problems, and then one day they start (slowly) developing a host of problems that's indicative of a particular autoimmune disorder or some other form of an intolerance. The body changes, the body gets tired, and yes absolutely things can change suddenly and something that wasn't a problem before can now be. Once you develop an intolerance the reaction can occur within a few days or weeks from exposure. That's life...unfortunately, but sometimes there are a variety of ways to overcome it. = )

     
    Old 05-04-2005, 03:26 PM   #38
    realsad
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    realsad's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 266
    realsad HB User
    Re: SweetJade Cleared My Face! Here's how!

    hello, yes i meant generally because i have always ate whatever i wanted to, well no, i guess about 4-5 years ago i started being mildly allergic to some fruits, but i think i actually figured out it wasn't the fruit it was the pesticide or fertilizer or whatever they put on it in the feild. so this mean it could be from a food, and since i have always ate whatever, i have ALOT of stuff to rule out, a LONG road ahead of me....oh well i thank you for replying, you must really have ALOT of patience and time and disapline. most of the time i eat the crap i eat cuz i don't have time to eat right and here i had a half day today and the kids are napping and i am sitting here at the computer not worrying about food too much, however i have been trying to make better choices, but it sure is difficult!! man and they put so much darn chemicals and such in everything today!!! thanks again tho !

     
    Old 09-13-2005, 07:29 PM   #39
    stojack
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Posts: 45
    stojack HB User
    Re: SweetJade Cleared My Face! Here's how!

    I've started to modify my diet to include many of the recommendations from this site and the Perricone book. I'm wondering how long it takes most people to see a difference in their skin once they've adjusted their diet? Also, I'm wondering if anyone out there has noticed if coffee (reg or decaf) has a negative effect on your skin? Perricone claims it affects cortisol levels which in turn effect hormones etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Skin has cleared up, does tea help? jbcgal Acne 6 01-06-2004 10:15 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:44 PM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!