It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• I have Schizophrenia...and I can't focus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
    anglrses
    (female)

anglrses HB User
    I have Schizophrenia...and I can't focus

Ok I am really getting to a tough spot right now. I have schizophrenia and I'm treating it with abilify, but I also have problems staying alert. Lately I've been kind of self medicating my concentration problems with energy drinks that have god knows what in them. The doctor doesn't think I have ADD, but wonders if I want to try some kind of medication that was made for sleep disorders called provigil. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2005, 09:27 PM   #2
    nicolas

nicolas HB User
    Re: I have Schizophrenia...and I can't focus

Hello.

I think it is fairly common for people diagnosed sz. to have difficulty concentrating. The only advice I can give you is to stay on your meds and to talk to tell your pdoc all about whatever energy drinks you use to help. I don't know about abilify but with the med I am on, Clozaril, the use of caffiene can actually exacerbate the sleepiness!

I hope things improve for you. Off hand I don't know about provigil, but there are a few sites on the web that have useful information about meds.

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help. I had a lot of trouble concentrating a few months ago but once I got stabalized on the meds I am able to focus again.
    take care.

Old 04-30-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
    mjbbtt
    (female)

mjbbtt HB User

provigil is a stimulant it gives people energy and makes them more alert why your doc says it is for sleeping disorders is beyond me it will keep you awake not put you to sleep, good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 05-01-2005, 02:13 PM   #4
    lukorman
    (male)

lukorman HB User

so your saying provigil or modaniful would help me stay more awake other than the 15 to 18 hours i sleep caused by clozaril and risperdal?
    thanks

Last edited by lukorman; 05-01-2005 at 02:14 PM.

Old 05-02-2005, 02:08 PM   #5
    Suecat3

Suecat3 HB User

Hi...I have schizoaffective disorder and ADHD. I'm on Abilify, as well as Dexedrine for the concentration problems. I tried Provigil first for the ADHD; it is a stimulant that is less potent than Dexedrine or Ritalin. It's also used for narcolepsy (falling asleep suddenly in the middle of the day). Provigil really didn't help my ADHD, so I switched meds. I think it might be worth you giving it a try. The combination of Abilify and a stimulant has been very helpful for me.

Old 05-11-2005, 05:08 PM   #6
    anglrses
    (female)

anglrses HB User

The provigil website says that it is specifically for narcolepsy.

Closed Thread