It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Is depersonalization and derealization really anxiety? HELP PLEASE :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2005, 09:09 AM   #1
    Allure
    (female)

Allure HB User
    Question Is depersonalization and derealization really anxiety? HELP PLEASE :(

Hi,

I suffer from depersonalization (feeling not myself), derealization (feeling not there, not grounded, feeling stoned, seing like in 2-d) and dissociation (feeling of missing some hours, minutes, always ad short term memory)

I saw a tons of doctors, they all told me it was depression, anxiety that leads to dp/dr. But I take klonopin since 2 years, and the more I take the more I get confseud, spacey, and depressed. So why it is supposed to be anxiety? And why doesn't it help with constant feeling of dissociation?

I also try SSRI's with little or no success. Have trouble with s/e.

Just wonder what is wrong with this, I really feel like alone with this problem, I feel like I will stay like that all my life and I don't want to! A doc told me it could be temporal lobe epilepsy. Should I trust that? (or post in this section)?

Any advice would be appreciated. I really need help and to find people who got rid of this I suffer from depression too, and am very anxious.

A
    undefined

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2005, 09:21 AM   #2
    Gaz15
    (male)

Gaz15 HB User
    Re: Is depersonalization and derealization really anxiety? HELP PLEASE :(

Hi, Ive been exactly the same as you for 2 years or more now and i've been told exactly the same im on meds but although they stop me being anxious im still really spaced out and this hardly ever lifts if not at all. im in your position and i really need to get it sorted, i cant really help you but i can tell you your not alone. i've just turned 16 and mum and dad want me to start looking for a job but the way im feeling, im allways tired and spaced out i just dont think i can . If you or i get any info or help on what too do let me know and i'll do the same

Old 05-03-2005, 02:33 PM   #3
    Allure
    (female)

Allure HB User

Thanks!

I will tell you for sure if something helps!!!

Which med are you on?

I will see a neurologist to rule out any TLE (epilepsy).

Maybe others will come here and help us too!

Allure

Old 05-03-2005, 05:14 PM   #4
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to allure
    what is your klonapin dose? this med is better if only taken as needed and not every day
    I think you should get checked for epilepsy, etc

try to exercise more this usually calms you and relaxes

Old 05-04-2005, 03:01 AM   #5
    Gaz15
    (male)

Gaz15 HB User

I'm on clomipramine, does this 'derealization' ever lift and go away for you? does it ever give you a break? i've got to go to the doctors today to get another perscription so im going to tell him how im feeling and that it never lifts Hopefully he'll have something interesting too tell me I've never mentioned this too him b4 so it will be a first..

Old 05-04-2005, 06:57 AM   #6
    Allure
    (female)

Allure HB User

Hi,

No, it doesn't seem to go away but maybe I am wrong. Sometimes it's unbearable.

Anafranil is supposed to help with dp/dr!! It's proven in many tests and researches. For how long you take it?

I had to stop because of heart problems in my family but if you don't have heart problems, take it at low doses, it may help you a lot!!!!

If not, Lamictal is supposed to help many patients, with a SSRI.

Just an info!

Take care,

Allure

Old 05-05-2005, 07:35 PM   #7
    pregnoid
    (female)

pregnoid HB User

hmm this caught my attention. Im at the end of a pregnany from hell. I used 2 have panic attacks and was agoraphobic, got on 20mg paxil and .5 klonopin as needed and fully recovered. i was a teenager then.. always felt good and normal but sumtimes sluggish and smoked pot 2 get back up, it gave me energy. i decided 2 get my life 2gether when i met my fiance i was really happy and get off my meds. getting off klonopin was a NIGHTMARE, i did it really fast without dr supervision, insane withdrawls. weened paxil and got pregnant right away. hormones drove me off this cliff. i started 2 think i lost it. not even panic attacks... CONSTANT restless jittery anxiety. major depression. i lost intrest in everything and every morning thought the only way out would b 2 end my life, but i didn't wanna die, just get better. i always feel confused and detatched like im in some other body and lost my mind, stuck in some horrid dream or movie, not reality. no ones talked 2 me about depersonalization and derealization. i feel like i lost control. its getting a lil better in the 8th month but im on 60mg paxil and 50 seroquel, i cant consentrate or function i just wanna sleep. ill get better after baby and get off those meds pretty easy but im so scared of being off benzodiazapins. for years klonopin became daily and now i hafta go every day suffering thru panic attacks without just poppin a pill. its hard but after getting off klonopin and a period with attivan it made me realize how much benzos affect me and i start 2 feel guilty cuz there so addictive im like a freakin heroin addict withdrawling.

Old 05-05-2005, 07:40 PM   #8
    pregnoid
    (female)

pregnoid HB User

one thing that made me feel better is the doc remindin me that being scared it will never go away and being stuck like this 4ever is just a normal symptom of depression.. its tied in with the hopeless feeling, but these things are usually fixable in time

Old 11-26-2005, 01:35 AM   #9
    mr fixit
    (male)

mr fixit HB User

Hi,

IT DOES go away. You must live with supreme confidence. Are you sure you are not still suffering from anxiety? It is caused by it. You cannot get rid of it until your panic and anxiety is gone for a while.

I experienced derealization for over a year. It was like living while high on pot or in a dream. Sometimes my touch perception would get all screwy. Like in a way on occasion I'd feel detached from my own body. It started first for a month when it started off as a sort of tunnel vision, it came acutely out of NOWHERE instantly where I felt not in the room, then vanished after a month. Then I got it again a few months later and it ended up lasting for so long and made me nuts. Eventually I tried my best to just ignore it, and ignore the anxiety because part of the problem is that if you focus on it, it certainly wont go away. Try not to think about it. Certainly this condition is related to anxiety because I was able to overcome my anxiety condition which was pretty debilitating at the time. And when my anxiety went away, every day I would wake up my derealization gradually over time improved and I dont have it any more. Most certainly its a symptom of anxiety , so I suspect that all of you who are still suffering from it, are also in turn still suffering from an anxiety condition. Remember that stress and anxiety builds up internally over time and you might have to retrain your body to learn to relax on a regular basis. Even after your stress and anxiety goes away your body needs to heal and it takes months maybe even a year for your body to normalize once you have been able to rid yourself of the ongoing anxiety condition. Actually I would attribute the derealization more to Panic disorder rather than Anxiety disorder. I found it tended to accompany ongoing panic symptoms more so than my generalized anxiety. So check yourself and try to see if you are experiencing ongoing panic. I noticed sometimes in the morning I would wake up and look at my room and see if I still felt detached. Some days in the morning after I wake up, I would actually feel better. Eventually as it went away it would subside daily until it was just gone. I was no longer preoccupied with paying attention to my environment either.

Some people have also told me that sometimes derealization goes away as fast as it comes, sometimes overnight or in a few days out of nowhere it just vanishes. Other people have suggested to me that when you have Panic Disorder you are stuck in the Panic mode on an ongoing basis, even though you might not realize it, that you must break the chains of your low lying panic disorder , that its subtle and once you no longer feel panic, the derealization just lifts. Mind you Panic and the symptoms of Panic Disorder can be ongoing and is distinctly different from generalized anxiety disorder. This panic disorder must be eliminated.

One of the medications that was very successful in knocking out the anxiety and also the derealization for me was Remeron (Soltab) Its a newer class of drugs that act differently than the older drugs. I dont see it prescribed to other people with anxiety very often but I can say it was highly effective for me. Effexor XR had some good results on the derealization but I would say the Remeron really helped to knock it out.

Some people have suggested that derealization is a brain's defense to shut out your environment from the stresses it cannot handle. The brain can get sick like any other organ.

I dont have anxiety or derealization problems any more, only once in a rare while will my brain go haywire and ill have a panic attack.

In summary, to combat my symptoms I did the following:

-Ate healthy whole foods, alot of vegetables, including Fatty fish (4x a week)
    -Decreased carbohydrates and increased fat from vegetable oil
    -Exercised aerobic regularly 1 hour every day MINIMUM
    -Took Remeron Soltab daily
    -Worked on disrupting my brains habit of obsessing and thinking about the disorder and just ignored it and lived my daily life as if I was fine esp. when my brain made me think I should worry
    -Increased self confidence, self esteem and increase confidence I can beat my condition
    -Cut out any additional stressors in my life I was able to realize caused me stress, including my own bad habits which caused stress upon myself. Believe you and me this added up to alot of tension relief every day.
    -Took advice from Saitotherapy {REMOVED}

{REMOVED}

I suppose this site is true, alot of Dr/Dp is a obsessive problem where you are preoccupied with your environment and perception too much. You must BREAK this cycle and stop thinking about it and just live day to day as if everything is FINE. DO NOT think about it. That should help as well.

Pete

Last edited by msmod; 11-26-2005 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Don't post links to websites that have good or services for sale or have links to chatrooms or other message forums. Ms_Mod

Old 09-04-2006, 04:45 PM   #10
    MissAngela
    Veteran
    (female)

MissAngela HB User

Hi. I know this is an old thread, but I can relate to this!

My main concern is that these feelings will somehow damage my mind/brain or cause permenant damage? Is this possible? I would appreciate any insight!!

Thanks
    -Angela

Closed Thread