It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Adderall and mood swings?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2005, 05:14 PM   #1
    cvn123

cvn123 HB User
    Adderall and mood swings?

I've started to take adderall last week but I stopped taking them about two days ago because of the insomnia I was getting - I could barely get up for classes at all and I've been showing up late for a long time.
    But today I've noticed I felt really, really irritated for no reason, and I tended to lash out on my friends, for some reason I could not stand being near them.
    I was okay yesterday, I was a bit moody but not as bad as today.
    So what should I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2005, 06:31 PM   #2
    JasonGixxer
    (male)

JasonGixxer HB User
    Re: Adderall and mood swings?

I just switched from Ritalin to Adderall a month ago and have some mood swings as well. I had them on Ritalin too but more frequently. Were you just starting out on the drug or did you switch from another? I know it may take a bit of time for you to get used to the side-effects. If you only took it a few days and if it was a low dose (5mg, 10mg) per dose it just may require a bit of time to get used to. First off, call your doctor and tell him your issues and see what he says. The insomnia does go away after a bit of time, at least it did for me. What time do you take the Adderall and how many times a day? You may even want to try a different drug like Ritalin or Concerta and see if it agree's with you more.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
    Spazmosses
    (female)

Spazmosses HB User

if your not taking Adderall in the morning, you should since you'll be able to crash by night time and won;t have to worry about insomnia, ( it worked best for me that way when the drug wore off so i could easily fall asleep), and the irritabilty is normal with adderall/concerta and you mayu want to question continuing to take it, or at least lower the dosage in order to counteract that irritabilty effect, its no fun I had it and im normally don;t have a temper/ irritabilty problem bu those drugs gave me a new temper I NEVER had which is why I disliked them, I went from never rasing my voice to my friends to getting in arguements with them and throwing things. Amphetamines equl irritabilty in some cases, they just go together. Good Luck!

Old 06-15-2005, 03:35 PM   #4
    3boyz4me
    (female)

3boyz4me HB User

my 11 yr old was on adderall last year and we took him off. We felt that it caused severe depression in him. We gave him the summer off last year and it was wonderful to see him laugh, and his eyes light up, so different from when he was on his medication.
    D

Old 06-18-2005, 10:16 PM   #5
    tonymc
    (male)

tonymc HB User

I notice my mood swings are during when Adderall is wearing off. Mood swings are my biggest issue with Adderall unfortunantly. It goes anywere from irratability to an empty detached depression like feeling.

Old 06-19-2005, 10:15 AM   #6
    udon'tknow
    (female)

udon'tknow HB User

does anybody take adderall xr with effexor?

Old 06-19-2005, 10:58 AM   #7
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Mood swings is the reason my nephew was taken off Adderall by his parents as the doctor would have just kept him on it.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:32 AM   #8
    malibubarbie999
    (female)

malibubarbie999 HB User
    Arrow Re: Adderall and mood swings?

I've been taking Adderall XR for about a year. The first couple months I was tempted to stop taking it due to extreme irritability. It seemed like the littlest things would set me off, which is unlike me. Also, around the time the meds wore off I'd get depressed & wouldn't feel like going out with friends. Basically, I became sort of detached.

My dr. urged me to stick it out (since the Adderall was benefiting me in so many other areas) & I'm glad I did. Those negative effects seem to go away with time, as your body gets used to the drug. Adderall has worked wonders for me. I finally feel like I can get things accomplished.

udon'tknow - Adderall (or any amphetamine for that matter) + Effexor = potentially deadly combination. Beware: Taking these drugs together increases your risk of serotonin syndrome, a rare but potentially fatal condition resulting from hyperstimulation of brainstem 5-HT1A receptors. There have actually been reports of toxicity in patients being treated with this specific combination (Effexor + dextroamphetamine -- a component of Adderall).

Old 06-28-2005, 11:55 AM   #9
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Most likely the mood swings are because the drug is an amphetamine, which produces symptoms resembling mania in people without ADD/ADHD. With this in mind, I would think it nearly impossible to take the medication without having some irritability and/or rapidly changing moods.
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread