It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

• Im very scared!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2005, 09:36 AM   #1
    MissChloe
    (female)

MissChloe HB User
    Im very scared!

I just have a few questions about Leukemia. I am a 29 year old female who was diagnosed a few years ago with OCD and GAD. I am currently taking 40mg of Prozac to deal with this. I have horrible obsessive thoughts about my health and have most resently got over Brian Tumor fears. I convince myself that I have these awfull diseases. I can't stand it anymore, Im tiered of running to the doctor. Anyway for my questions...

Three years ago I started taking Prozac during that time I started develping easy bruising on my legs, I would get them and whould have no idea how they came about, I also developed tiny little red dots on my skin all over my body not clumped together but spaced apart, they do not blanch and they have never gone away. I worried a little bit about them then but the medication helped so I didn't freak out about them. Some stuff happend in my life where I had to forgo the medication and I noticed the bruising had calmed down to nothing. A few months ago after fainting in a restaraunt I convinced myself that I had a brain tumor, started having horrible anxiety attacks a few times a day and couldn't sleep, had chronic headaches, the list goes on and on. I went back on the Prozac and what do you know, the bruises started again. I became concerned and went to see my doctor about them. She told me it was because of all the Ibuprofen I was taking for my headaches, that it was lowering my blood platelets. She came to this conclusion without any Blood tests. I guess she want not concerned. Okay fine I cut the Ibuprofen down to nearly nothing and switched to Tylenol. The bruising seemed to deminish.

A few weeks ago I started getting this muscle twitch in my stomach area and like the great Hypochondriact I am I started to think that maybe it was my spleen, befor I new it I had disscomfort in that area, still do. Im also noticing the bruises again, they are not big, smaller then a dime and go away within a week or so but some of them I don't know how I got them. I bruise on my legs and forarm areas. It's so weird, I am clumsy and have whacked my knee on the coffee table a few times but Im still freaking out. I have had joint pain in my left shoulder for nearly a year, Doctor said it was rottery cuff wear or something. I get tiered at 4 in the after noon after going to bed at 11 and sleeping untill 7-8 in the morning. Im so scared, I know I have to have a blood test to know forsure but Im sick over all this. I have done way to much reading on line about Leukemia and now Im sure I have all the symptoms! I guess Im just wondering what all of you think about this? Really need some advise and please try not to scare me to much, Im such a wimp.

Thank you all in advance

Cassie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2005, 11:15 AM   #2
    PlaDrv4Me
    Inactive

PlaDrv4Me HB User
    Re: Im very scared!

Most of what youve listed sound like almost direct effects of Anxiety and Fear related to your OCD. Fear and Anxiety are psychological causes which can have very real physical symptoms.

The red spots you noticed, commonly referred to as Petechiae, would not last for more than a couple of days, so you can quit worrying about those. I was just put on Prozac for my health anxiety as well, however I may ask to be switched to something a little less extreme like Zoloft since I have heard of many psychological side effects of Prozac.

That being said, it doesnt sound like Leukemia, or really anything else for that matter. But you could always have your doctor do a baseline blood test to be sure.

Good luck.

Old 05-07-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
    highlandcoo
    (female)

highlandcoo HB User

I have OCD myself and can relate to what you are saying. You have to try your best not to look things up anymore or you will drive yourself mad. Your head will tell you a million things that are wrong with you but they are not true. But being on these boards wont help it will just fuel it even more. You will end up getting symptoms you dont even really have. I know its tough, I really really do. But maybe instead of being on here you could try and ocd message board where other people know what you are talking about and feel the same. Just remember its your OCD, nothing else xx

Old 05-07-2005, 05:18 PM   #4
    ryu1977
    (male)

ryu1977 HB User

Once more...acute leukemia usually attacks rapidly. It means from the beginning of your symptoms until you will be diagnosed with Leukemia would not take long time.
    If your symptoms have been there for years, there will be very small possibility that you have acute leukemia.

On the other hand Chronic leukemia is very rare among young people.

I think you should meet hematologist/oncologist to convince yourself. Listen to the doctor and ask for CBC w/ diff and other tests. If everything comeback normally, please believe on that.

I have the same anxiety like you and become paranoid, because I always try to find the answer from internet, However, I also went to hematologist, and when he diagnosed me that I don't have any blood abnormalities, I try to believe on him.

wish you good health

Last edited by ryu1977; 05-07-2005 at 05:20 PM.

Old 05-08-2005, 06:40 AM   #5
    MissChloe
    (female)

MissChloe HB User

Thank you all for your support. I do understand that allot of my symptoms could be related to my anxiety. I am on another forum that deals with "Health Anxiety" I just thought I would ask people who would know about this, I guess Im feeling a little lost.

PlaDrv4Me,Prozac worked great for me, hardly any side effects. My new doctor put my on Zoloft for a very short time because it made me sooo very sick. Huge Hives, nightmares, agitated so bad I was paceing the floor, crying uncontrolably, it was terrible. I never heard anything about Prozac and the problem you stated. I guess it's possible but I had very good luck with it. Hope you find something that works for you!

Old 05-08-2005, 01:17 PM   #6
    PlaDrv4Me
    Inactive

PlaDrv4Me HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissChloe
    Thank you all for your support. I do understand that allot of my symptoms could be related to my anxiety. I am on another forum that deals with "Health Anxiety" I just thought I would ask people who would know about this, I guess Im feeling a little lost.

PlaDrv4Me,Prozac worked great for me, hardly any side effects. My new doctor put my on Zoloft for a very short time because it made me sooo very sick. Huge Hives, nightmares, agitated so bad I was paceing the floor, crying uncontrolably, it was terrible. I never heard anything about Prozac and the problem you stated. I guess it's possible but I had very good luck with it. Hope you find something that works for you!
    So far so good, Im only on 10mg per day but dont really feel the effects yet, maybe Im not supposed to. I still get fear and stuff though, so I guess it has a build up effect.

In my case, the doctor said he does not doubt something is wrong with me, but he said basically whether the things im worried about are there or not, Im going to have to come to terms with it, and he said the prozac would help me a great deal. Guess I just became part of the medicated America

Old 05-12-2005, 11:23 AM   #7
    3and1
    (female)

3and1 HB User

Could someone explain how red spots are a symptom of cancer?I get red looking mosquito like spots but they go away after a few days--figured it was an allergy--now you make me wonder.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:57 PM   #8
    ryu1977
    (male)

ryu1977 HB User

Basically, red spot under the skin (not outside) is minor bleeding in your skin (petechiae). It could happen from Leukemia because of low platelets. However, several red spots in your skin does not mean you have Leukemia. It could come from allergy, trauma, food intolerance, etc.

You should be aware if your petechiae become purpura (larger size of bleeding), spreading to wider area, or come with the other symptoms such as anemia,noose bleeding,etc.

Old 05-22-2005, 12:33 AM   #9
    oeee
    (female)

oeee HB User

You need to stop worrying...you have terrible anxiety...but it doesn't sound like you have any real symptoms..Most people get fatigued at four in the afternoon....your blood sugar tends to drop around that time..have a snack with some protein..this will probably solve the problem. As someone who is chronically ill, you will know when you are truly sick...you will feel so poorly you won't have the strength to worry about it. Count your blessings...try to stop searching for things that could go wrong...and appreciate your life and your health...try keeping a diary, reading the book Change Your Brain, Change Your life by Dr. Amen....find activities that help you feel safe...and start cosuming chamomile tea...by some Rescue Remedy at Whole Foods...you will be ok!!

Closed Thread