It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• twitches, muscle jerks.....please help..freaked out

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2005, 05:58 PM   #1
    holla112
    (male)

holla112 HB User
    twitches, muscle jerks.....please help..freaked out

i went through, well still going through, a time when i thought i had herpes..doc has told me i dont and that i have anxiety which she thinks will go away once i get tested and they come back fine, which she guarantees..well anyways, i have had muscle twitches for the last month all over my body, not like when im walking around or working out, but when im just chilling...i also get weird jerks, not too often, where a foot will jerk or my arms when im sleeping, i even had a full body type shock where my legs flew in the air when i was sleeping and totally freaked out....is this possibly anxiety? i just find it weird that this can happen to your body just from being totally freaked out...and has anyone else been through something like this....please help...thanks im only 21 yrs old by the way

Last edited by holla112; 05-05-2005 at 06:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
    desertflower
    (female)

desertflower HB User
    Re: twitches, muscle jerks.....please help..freaked out

Hey holla,

Don't worry about these symptoms, I have had them for years, they can be annoying but will not hurt you. I asked my Moms Neurologist about it and he said it stems form anxiety and tension and alot of people have it and it is completely harmless. I have it all the time, especially when i am just relaxing too.

DF

Old 05-05-2005, 07:59 PM   #3
    holla112
    (male)

holla112 HB User

Thanks for the reply desert...knowing other people get these too helps...it was mostly the jerks that freaked me out

Old 05-05-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
    troppixx
    (female)

troppixx HB User

I have had the same advice from doctors that it is harmless. It went so far with me (with the jerks and spasms/twitches) that I had a CAT scan done to ease my mind that a tumor wasnt the cause. I am perfectly healthy other than the anxiety. What relaxation techniques do you use? You can work on that and it may help some, it does for me.

Old 05-08-2005, 08:31 PM   #5
    PETALS1

PETALS1 HB User

Oh MY,
    this happens to me all the time. It seems when I just start to fall asleep, if I am touched or spoken to I will JUMP out of my skin.
    I never could sleep on my stomach. But now this is the only way I can get some sleep. My arms have to tucked under me. I still wake up several times a night. The other day I was going out of town with my sister, I dosed off like usual. She drove across a wide dip in the hwy. I swear I thought I was flying. My arms went up like I was a bird.The muscle jerks are a real pain {REMOVED}. I also have restless leg syndrome. This is where sitting in a car,chair etc, for sometimes 5 min is impossible. The urge to move my legs or body GREAT. I have to take mirapex which is to treat parkinsions. I do not have PD. This was scary at first when I was given the meds.
    Take care! Debbie

Last edited by msmod; 05-09-2005 at 04:56 AM. Reason: If you know that you should "star" out a word, then it follows that you shouldn't use that word on this board at all. Thanks, ms_mod

Old 05-17-2005, 09:23 PM   #6
    lucylane
    (female)

lucylane HB User

If you are having panic attacks, trouble breathing or excessive worrying, it sound like anxiety to me. I take an inexpensive anti-anxiety tablet called clonazepam. I'm on the minimum dose. I take 1/2 a tab with coffee in the morning and 1/2 at bedtime without coffee. I sleep real well and wake up refreshed and rested. This tablet I have been on for 5 years now, along with effexor anti-depressant capsule. The two of them have work for me in eliminating depression & anxiety. Clonazepam also helps restless legs syndrome. I know, because my mom takes it and she no longer suffers from rls.

Old 05-21-2005, 07:39 PM   #7
    maggiekitty
    (female)

maggiekitty HB User

I can't tell you how glad I am to see this post. I also have been having these twitches/jerks lately. It also is only when I am falling asleep. Never when I'm laying down or walking around. Have you found something that works to get rid of them? I thought that maybe I had MS, but everyone says no, that this isn't a symptom of MS. Please let me know what you're doing about them and what your doctor says. Thanks.

Old 05-21-2005, 10:55 PM   #8
    texaspugmommy
    (female)

texaspugmommy HB User

Hi everyone! I also had this happen to me a couple of years ago. It REALLY freaked me out. Log story so I'll try to make it short. My finger twitched one night at dinner, then again the next morning after a sleepless night with my sick baby. I have always been an axcessive worrier. I got on the net and looked up "finger twitching" BAD MISTAKE! It pulled up ALL kinds of weird diseases, and by the time I had read what I found i was convinced I had ALS (Loe Gerhigs disease). That sent me into a panick/anxiety attack that lasted a month I swear. Well come to find out I am fine. After going to the doc freaking out he put me on some meds and I have been better now for a long time. I still twitch occasionally and I think it has something to do with me not drinking enough and getting dehydrated? Just an observation I made. Good luck and keep us updated!

Old 05-22-2005, 07:32 AM   #9
    maggiekitty
    (female)

maggiekitty HB User

Thank you for your story. It does help to know that there are other people out there that have similar stories to mine. I found it interesting that this morning as I was laying in bed and cuddling with my hubby, he had little twitches when he was sleeping that I could feel. I never noticed them before. Maybe everyone does it and depending on what stage of sleep you are in, you might not notice them because he told me that he didn't twitch. Ummm, yup you do honey!!

Closed Thread