It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Bad Ear-Popping when laying down?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2005, 01:28 AM   #1
    Phlox
    Inactive
    (male)

Phlox HB User
    Question Bad Ear-Popping when laying down?

When I am going to sleep---have been laying down after a few minutes and am starting to doze off---my ears start to "pop" frequently, and recently has gotten to the point where it feels like my eardrum is going to burst!

This has been happening almost every night lately, and its driving me insane! It started out just doing it here and there a few months back, and the last time I went to my docs office they did the Tilt Test someone mentioned in another post---the "lay down, then check your Blood Pressure" test, and said I was fine--but there was just one problem with that test: This problem doesnt happen to me until I am actually starting to doze off, like when your breathing changes as you fall asleep.

Im not sure what else that could mean, but the fact that Ive read a few things like this post here makes me wonder if my BP could be changing after I have been laying down awhile, and start to fall asleep? Im not sure what to do with this, but it is getting me to the point where I hate laying down to go to sleep lately b/c the "Ear Popping" is getting worse.

Has anyone else heard of this, or have any ideas what it could be? Thank you so much to anyone who might have an idea, I would appreciate any replies! Goodnight All, back to try and sleep past this stuff

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2005, 05:51 AM   #2
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lib HB Userlib HB User
    Re: Bad Ear-Popping when laying down?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phlox
    When I am going to sleep---have been laying down after a few minutes and am starting to doze off---my ears start to "pop" frequently, and recently has gotten to the point where it feels like my eardrum is going to burst!

This has been happening almost every night lately, and its driving me insane! It started out just doing it here and there a few months back, and the last time I went to my docs office they did the Tilt Test someone mentioned in another post---the "lay down, then check your Blood Pressure" test, and said I was fine--but there was just one problem with that test: This problem doesnt happen to me until I am actually starting to doze off, like when your breathing changes as you fall asleep.

Im not sure what else that could mean, but the fact that Ive read a few things like this post here makes me wonder if my BP could be changing after I have been laying down awhile, and start to fall asleep? Im not sure what to do with this, but it is getting me to the point where I hate laying down to go to sleep lately b/c the "Ear Popping" is getting worse.

Has anyone else heard of this, or have any ideas what it could be? Thank you so much to anyone who might have an idea, I would appreciate any replies! Goodnight All, back to try and sleep past this stuff
    the popping could be from a muscle spasm in the middle ear or e tube....find a top otoligist or neurotoligist....good luck

Old 05-09-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
    Phlox
    Inactive
    (male)

Phlox HB User

Im not familiar with those titles, the "otoligist or neurotoligist," are those Ears, Nose, Throat Doctors or is that something different? I was thinking of asking my doctor for a referral to a ENT doctor, but Im not sure if thats what I should ask for? Are those different types of doctors?

Also, if it were a spasm, why would it be doing it only as Im going to sleep? Dont most spasms usually go away after a short while? This has been going on for quite awhile now, and just seems to be getting worse.

Has anyone ever had similar experiences or heard of this?

Last edited by Phlox; 05-09-2005 at 01:54 PM.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:52 PM   #4
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

Quote:
    Im not familiar with those titles, the "otoligist or neurotoligist," are those Ears, Nose, Throat Doctors or is that something different? I was thinking of asking my doctor for a referral to a ENT doctor, but Im not sure if thats what I should ask for? Are those different types of doctors?

Also, if it were a spasm, why would it be doing it only as Im going to sleep? Dont most spasms usually go away after a short while? This has been going on for quite awhile now, and just seems to be getting worse.

Has anyone ever had similar experiences or heard of this?
    they are special ear drs....regular ents know nothing about this....
    i have had it for almost 2 years....it could be myoclonus and that does not always go away.
    can you describe the popping as best as possible....
    does anything else trigger it?

Old 05-09-2005, 03:49 PM   #5
    Phlox
    Inactive
    (male)

Phlox HB User

Youve had it also lib? Sure Ill try to describe it....after Ive been laying down awhile and start to feel tired or like Im dozing off, every so often my ears will suddenly "pop" very quickly---not slow like when youre on a plane, but fast like instantly out of nowhere. And it will do this in random intervals, but lately has gotten worse to where its doing it every 10-15 seconds, and LOUD. I have to get up, kind of shake myself awake or get kind of "active" and then try to sleep again...where it has been repeating itself all over more and more recently.

As far as triggers, I actually slowed down my smoking to see if maybe it was cigarettes affecting my sinuses (I have bad sinuses, but this is nothing that Ive ever experienced before), and the ear popping did seem to become a little less frequent for a few weeks there. But recently--even down to half the cigarettes I used to smoke---the ear popping has returned and is actually feeling worse and more frequent than it was before!

I hope that description helps, I know its sort of a hard thing to describe. From what Ive just read of myonuclus (sp?), I still dont quite get why this happens only as I am falling asleep....but the first time I told my doctor about this, she said that your BP can change as you fall asleep, and it can affect the bar in your inner ear. So she did the "Tilt Test" to check my BP as I laid down and as I stood up.....Problem is, when she did the test, Its not like I can start to fall asleep that fast where my breathing would change, or even fall asleep in the doctors office at all, hehe. So of course it seemed fine, but sure enough when I got home and went to bed that night, as I start to fall asleep: "pop"..."pop"...."pop"...feeling like my eardrum is going to burst

What is the situation youre having with this, lib? And what seems to trigger yours? Is it similar to what I describe, or something different? Thank you very much for your replies---theyre very much appreciated!!!

Last edited by Phlox; 05-09-2005 at 03:58 PM.

Old 05-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #6
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

Quote:
    Youve had it also lib? Sure Ill try to describe it....after Ive been laying down awhile and start to feel tired or like Im dozing off, every so often my ears will suddenly "pop" very quickly---not slow like when youre on a plane, but fast like instantly out of nowhere. And it will do this in random intervals, but lately has gotten worse to where its doing it every 10-15 seconds, and LOUD. I have to get up, kind of shake myself awake or get kind of "active" and then try to sleep again...where it has been repeating itself all over more and more recently.

As far as triggers, I actually slowed down my smoking to see if maybe it was cigarettes affecting my sinuses (I have bad sinuses, but this is nothing that Ive ever experienced before), and the ear popping did seem to become a little less frequent for a few weeks there. But recently--even down to half the cigarettes I used to smoke---the ear popping has returned and is actually feeling worse and more frequent than it was before!

I hope that description helps, I know its sort of a hard thing to describe. From what Ive just read of myonuclus (sp?), I still dont quite get why this happens only as I am falling asleep....but the first time I told my doctor about this, she said that your BP can change as you fall asleep, and it can affect the bar in your inner ear. So she did the "Tilt Test" to check my BP as I laid down and as I stood up.....Problem is, when she did the test, Its not like I can start to fall asleep that fast where my breathing would change, or even fall asleep in the doctors office at all, hehe. So of course it seemed fine, but sure enough when I got home and went to bed that night, as I start to fall asleep: "pop"..."pop"...."pop"...feeling like my eardrum is going to burst

What is the situation youre having with this, lib? And what seems to trigger yours? Is it similar to what I describe, or something different? Thank you very much for your replies---theyre very much appreciated!!!
    i have it, in the middle ear and e tube, i had both the tensor tympani and stapedial severed in the right ear and the tt in the left, it helped but its not all gone.
    it could be the muscle spasming i would def check into that, no symptoms during the day?

Old 05-09-2005, 05:52 PM   #7
    Phlox
    Inactive
    (male)

Phlox HB User

How did that happen Lib, are there certain causes? Im just wondering what could possibly cause things like this...you mentioned something was "severed", how did that happen?

As far as during the day, I dont really have any problems like that, it just seems to be happening as I am laying down and going to sleep. Does yours seem to be more when youre laying down also, like worse as youre going to sleep? Can you describe your symptoms to me?

Old 05-09-2005, 06:42 PM   #8
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

Quote:
    How did that happen Lib, are there certain causes? Im just wondering what could possibly cause things like this...you mentioned something was "severed", how did that happen?

As far as during the day, I dont really have any problems like that, it just seems to be happening as I am laying down and going to sleep. Does yours seem to be more when youre laying down also, like worse as youre going to sleep? Can you describe your symptoms to me?
    they cut the middle ear muscles, it was surgery.
    i had/have popping, thumping, fluttering, spasms from my voice and outside sounds...lots of muscular probs. they dont know what caused it, possibly a virus.

Closed Thread