It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• This blasted ultram

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2005, 12:19 AM   #46
    martyjones
    (male)

martyjones HB User
    Re: This blasted ultram

I am soooo glad I found this topic thread. I've been reading through all yalls posts for a couple of hours (yes it's 3AM now and I'm up reading internet message boards-read on). It gives me comfort to know people are goign through the same thing I am and it gives me hope that I will be able to finally put this to bed (that was a pretty clever pun, if i do say so myself).

I started taking Ultram (actually the generic: tramadol) back in August 2004 for migraine headaches. I'll spare you the detials of my migraines casue the point is that the cure has become far worse than the problem.

I started at the normal 1/day just when I had the migraines, then it became that i would take 2 when i felt one coming on and then 2 more in about 3 hours to make sure it wouldn't come back...then i startd the same thing for regular headaches...and then for being sore (i'm hardcore into sports). Then it was when I was in a bad mood...then whenever i had to do long drives (i go home from college about every other weekend and it's about a 6hr drive)...then it was just to be in a better mood when i was going out...and then it was just for fun cause i loved the extra-energy, sense of wellbeing, and how it helps me concentrate on work...and before i knew it i was up to about 15-20/day for a couple of weeks at a time. I knew that was bad and so i'd cut it down to like 8/10 but i always ended up back at the high dose.

Well one day I got really busy and didn't take any, I woke up the next morning at like 6am in a cold sweat, feeling completely weak and fatigued. That's when it hit me just how much i was addicted to this non-addictive drug. After that episode I realized i needed to get off and tapered off and was clean (i never thought i'd use that kind of druggie terminology) for about a month, then I went through a hard time (my grandfather died) and i startd back at the real lose doses and you konw where that went. So I tapered off again. Then I got into some real high-stress job and school stuff and ended back at 15/day. quit again.

Finally: Two months ago my cousin, whom i grew up with like a brother, was shot and killed. It's been the hardest thing I've ever gone through in my life (granted it's only been 22 years). And about two weeks ago i ended up taking 25 one day. So i've finally confronted it and i am resolved to make this the absolute last time. I now realize that i can not control my use of this drug, i just don't have the willpower to stay on the reccomended usage/doses so I AM DONE WITH IT!!!

My Question:
    The previous two times I quit it wasn't relaly that bad. I just slowly tapered off and started exercising more. This time has been COMPLETE H***.
    -cold sweats, INSOMNIA, depression, tingly feelings in my arms and legs, And also when i try to go to sleep I get this weird kind of dull pain in my neck, it goes away when i'm walking around or moving but when i settle down to sleep it's like i can't find a comfortable position and I CAN NOT SLEEP (has anyone else had that symptom???). It's Thursday 3am now and i haven't slept since sunday night when i was at like 8 (400mg), I realize now that i tapered off too quickly and i called in to get my last refill and i'm counting the very minutes till i can go pick it up this afternoon. (pathetic, just pathetic).

Question: How long do you think I should suspect these kind of withdrawl symptoms, given that I was avg about 15-20 pills a day for about 2-3 weeks?

Question 2: Is there going to be any permanent physiological symptoms? I realize that there's always the pyschological: "just think, if you just take two little pills all this will go away....or wow i would feel so much better right now if i just took a couple" but i'm speaking more of physical stuff like the sweats, tingling, INSOMNIA.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP and God bless each of you as you are dealing with these terrible demons.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2005, 05:27 AM   #47
    martyjones
    (male)

martyjones HB User

Upon further investigation (since i obviously haven't slept AGAIN) I think that I'm having "Restless Leg Syndrome". This is absolutely driving me crazy. I can't function on this level of sleep...

Question: How long do you think this is going to last??? I feel like i'm going out of my mind cause my body is soooo tired and yet i can't sleep.

Question: other than the "take a hot shower" suggestion, does anyone have any other supplements or non-Rx solutions??? Good lord i would pay money for help...

As I've read over these message boards, I've heard some true horror stories and I'm grateful that i'm confronting this now before it gets any worse. I just wanted to stress to the people who say "ultram isn't a narcotic", "it's not bad like hydro/oxy", "it's non-opiate so your W/D is in your head": THIS IS REAL. Take it from someone who was suckered into the "non-addictive BS" that the manufacturer stresses, it absolutely is addictive both physchologically AND YES physically. I can't imagine how the hydro/oxy people can live if they're dealing with this stuff on an even more awful level:

-the tingly, achey, dull Restless Leg/Arm/Body stuff
    -diarhea
    -headaches
    -fatigue
    -insomnia
    -extreme depression
    -bouts of crying for no reason

Thanks again for listening! So here we go on 0 hours of asleep AGAIN...

Last edited by martyjones; 05-12-2005 at 06:27 AM.

Old 05-12-2005, 08:30 PM   #48
    bewildered42
    (female)

bewildered42 HB User

Hi Marty,

I'm BW, the one who started this whole thread. I rarely come to this board anymore..I'm glad I saw your post. I can't answer all or most of your questions..but I can say I am confident you won't have any permanent brain damage. You are really doing the right thing by stopping these. Had you continued at that high dose you may have gotten into the seizure range...when I was reading these boards daily(earlier this year), three different people stopped in here and said they had had seizures from high doses of ultram. Also, high doses bring on panic attacks. Did I ever learn that one the hard way. I'm do community theatre and I actually had a panic attack on STAGE. It was horrendous and I don't know how I got through the scene. My thoughts were racing and I was thinking I was about to pass out. My dose is back down to the allowed 400mg a day..some days I don't even take that. My pain level is pretty high but at least I'm not a worried wreck anymore. I was always wondering when my seizures were going to start and well..I was just constantly obsessing over this whole thing. This is one of the reasons I quit reading at this site. I needed to fill mind with a healthy variety of things and that meant getting off the computer. I'm off track here...treat yourself kindly and give yourself A LOT of time. I don't think anyone here can say how much..it's different for everyone. If things don't look up soon, consider going to the doctor for an antidepressant. Did you know ultram has antidepressant properties to it? It was lifting your serotonin levels which is why you had all that energy. So until your brain kicks in and starts cranking out a good load of serotonin, you might feel lethargic and depressed.

I don't know if I'm any help to you but just know you aren't alone. I'm still addicted to it...i can't stop though due to the pain. I think if I started a different pain med I could end up even worse off.

I have a question for you now...did you twitch a lot on this med? Especially when you laid down? The twitching for me is decreased but I'm still at it.

BW

Old 05-12-2005, 10:05 PM   #49
    Jenetti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenetti HB User

hi everyone. Im someone who will be on pain pills and muscle relaxers for the rest of my life due to fibro, degenerative discs, scoliosis, CFS, and i also has osteoporosis in my hips. Im also afraid of the damage my liver is taking from all these meds. I take lortab plus soma (muscle relaxer) 4 - 5 times a day for severe pain. I also take darvocet for breakthru pain. But i used to take ultram instead of lortab for quite a while. I had surgery and was in the hospital and in the hospitals they dish out your meds according to the schedule (exactly) and spread it out to 24 hours and not the normal 15-18 hour day that we're ususally awake. During my stay in the hospital i ended up having a seizure and i think it was cause i wasnt taking enough of the ultram or like i had been taking them myself. Twice in the morning to cut THRU the pain, then one later about 4 hours, then again about 4 hours later, amounting to taking it 5 times a day. I couldnt believe the awful feeling i was going thru, wd's. i tried telling the nurses that i didnt spread it out during my sleeping hours, but during my waking hours and she says, it says 4 - with no more than 5 within a 24 hour period. By the second day i could feel it bad an was sweating they thought it was due to the pain of surgery,, and kept giving me morphine ( IV). During the second night i swear , i was shaking and felt creepy things all over my body, tingling and numbing parts, like my legs didnt belong to me. I told them it was the tramadol, but they refused to give it to me as i was used to taking it. MY body curled up into a fetal position, then extended out with my arms and hands curled up and my toes pointing , then flexing backward and i couldnt stop it, my head also jerked back hard i felt like a pretzel. I couldnt control it and couldnt even call for help. it was awful. i told my doctor about it the next day she came to see me. She took me off ultram and placed me on lortab instead. Which im glad for, cause the lortab helps more with the pain than ultram and i havent had problems with that since. so, id rather take anything else than ultram

Old 05-12-2005, 10:10 PM   #50
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by martyjones
    I am soooo glad I found this topic thread. I've been reading through all yalls posts for a couple of hours (yes it's 3AM now and I'm up reading internet message boards-read on). It gives me comfort to know people are goign through the same thing I am and it gives me hope that I will be able to finally put this to bed (that was a pretty clever pun, if i do say so myself).

I started taking Ultram (actually the generic: tramadol) back in August 2004 for migraine headaches. I'll spare you the detials of my migraines casue the point is that the cure has become far worse than the problem.

I started at the normal 1/day just when I had the migraines, then it became that i would take 2 when i felt one coming on and then 2 more in about 3 hours to make sure it wouldn't come back...then i startd the same thing for regular headaches...and then for being sore (i'm hardcore into sports). Then it was when I was in a bad mood...then whenever i had to do long drives (i go home from college about every other weekend and it's about a 6hr drive)...then it was just to be in a better mood when i was going out...and then it was just for fun cause i loved the extra-energy, sense of wellbeing, and how it helps me concentrate on work...and before i knew it i was up to about 15-20/day for a couple of weeks at a time. I knew that was bad and so i'd cut it down to like 8/10 but i always ended up back at the high dose.

Well one day I got really busy and didn't take any, I woke up the next morning at like 6am in a cold sweat, feeling completely weak and fatigued. That's when it hit me just how much i was addicted to this non-addictive drug. After that episode I realized i needed to get off and tapered off and was clean (i never thought i'd use that kind of druggie terminology) for about a month, then I went through a hard time (my grandfather died) and i startd back at the real lose doses and you konw where that went. So I tapered off again. Then I got into some real high-stress job and school stuff and ended back at 15/day. quit again.

Finally: Two months ago my cousin, whom i grew up with like a brother, was shot and killed. It's been the hardest thing I've ever gone through in my life (granted it's only been 22 years). And about two weeks ago i ended up taking 25 one day. So i've finally confronted it and i am resolved to make this the absolute last time. I now realize that i can not control my use of this drug, i just don't have the willpower to stay on the reccomended usage/doses so I AM DONE WITH IT!!!

My Question:
    The previous two times I quit it wasn't relaly that bad. I just slowly tapered off and started exercising more. This time has been COMPLETE H***.
    -cold sweats, INSOMNIA, depression, tingly feelings in my arms and legs, And also when i try to go to sleep I get this weird kind of dull pain in my neck, it goes away when i'm walking around or moving but when i settle down to sleep it's like i can't find a comfortable position and I CAN NOT SLEEP (has anyone else had that symptom???). It's Thursday 3am now and i haven't slept since sunday night when i was at like 8 (400mg), I realize now that i tapered off too quickly and i called in to get my last refill and i'm counting the very minutes till i can go pick it up this afternoon. (pathetic, just pathetic).

Question: How long do you think I should suspect these kind of withdrawl symptoms, given that I was avg about 15-20 pills a day for about 2-3 weeks?

Question 2: Is there going to be any permanent physiological symptoms? I realize that there's always the pyschological: "just think, if you just take two little pills all this will go away....or wow i would feel so much better right now if i just took a couple" but i'm speaking more of physical stuff like the sweats, tingling, INSOMNIA.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP and God bless each of you as you are dealing with these terrible demons.
    I am sorry to hear that you got so addicted (innocently) to this drug from hell.

I was only on 2 a day for 9 weeks & had horrible withdrawals. My husband had to take a week off work & stay home with me, I tapered down, cutting the pills smaller & smaller each day. It IS a synthetic opiate, & contrary to what was previously thought by doctors, it IS HIGHLY addictive.

You should consult a doctor for a withdrawal schedule as I have read that some people have experienced seizures going off of it too quickly.

I can't say why you didnt' have the horrible withdrawals the other time, hard to say & actually I'm surprised you didn't.

Now, the large amount you were on can cause bad w/d side effects, not always the week you stop, but down the line, even months later. Not to scare you, but no one knows how these meds affect our minds..They get into our brain chemistry & I swear I am still getting some flashback w/d from mine, which I got off of totally in March!

I had tremors, my whole body would shake, I had agoraphobia, was afraid to leave the house, panic attacks & yes, could NOT sleep. I didn't eat much either, had no appetite. I had no desire to go back on them, was on them for severe back pain & they never gave me that "good feeling" in fact I think I had the adverse reaction to them from the beginning as they only made me shakey inside & a horrible wired feeling, not like energy, but like I was about to explode all the time.

Like I said, with the large amount you were on, it would pay to talk to a doctor & get a professional to help you with the w/d, you should not quit cold turkey or you may have residual symptoms for a long time.

Let us know how you are doing & please ask any questions you want. We've all been thru this nitemare. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2005, 10:21 PM   #51
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bewildered42
    Hi Marty,

I'm BW, the one who started this whole thread. I rarely come to this board anymore..I'm glad I saw your post. I can't answer all or most of your questions..but I can say I am confident you won't have any permanent brain damage. You are really doing the right thing by stopping these. Had you continued at that high dose you may have gotten into the seizure range...when I was reading these boards daily(earlier this year), three different people stopped in here and said they had had seizures from high doses of ultram. Also, high doses bring on panic attacks. Did I ever learn that one the hard way. I'm do community theatre and I actually had a panic attack on STAGE. It was horrendous and I don't know how I got through the scene. My thoughts were racing and I was thinking I was about to pass out. My dose is back down to the allowed 400mg a day..some days I don't even take that. My pain level is pretty high but at least I'm not a worried wreck anymore. I was always wondering when my seizures were going to start and well..I was just constantly obsessing over this whole thing. This is one of the reasons I quit reading at this site. I needed to fill mind with a healthy variety of things and that meant getting off the computer. I'm off track here...treat yourself kindly and give yourself A LOT of time. I don't think anyone here can say how much..it's different for everyone. If things don't look up soon, consider going to the doctor for an antidepressant. Did you know ultram has antidepressant properties to it? It was lifting your serotonin levels which is why you had all that energy. So until your brain kicks in and starts cranking out a good load of serotonin, you might feel lethargic and depressed.

I don't know if I'm any help to you but just know you aren't alone. I'm still addicted to it...i can't stop though due to the pain. I think if I started a different pain med I could end up even worse off.

I have a question for you now...did you twitch a lot on this med? Especially when you laid down? The twitching for me is decreased but I'm still at it.

BW
    Hi BW, boy do I agree about it causing panic attacks. I still suffer some agorophobia from it & I have been off it since March & was only on it for 9 weeks.

I had panic attacks all day today, as my d-in-law was forcing me & a friend to go out tonite, I've been hiding in my house so much since all this, so I had panic all day about leaving my house. The only time I do is when my husband takes me to physical therapy for my back or to the doctor, so going out in a social setting had my panic over the top.

I do think there can be residual symptoms for a time after ridding yourself of this poison.

I was on anti-depressants for some years before all this back pain started, but now after the ultram horror, I'm determined to get off of all meds. I start seeing a psychologist next week to get some therapy, as my coping skills are gone after all this mess. I want to cope & deal with things without any of these meds. I now read everything about a med, won't be taking anything that I don't know anything about, ever again.

I was in so much pain, I was just glad that the ultram didn't upset my stomach like vicodin did, plus I was in too much pain to even think about researching the med. Never again will I do that!!

Hope you will be able to get off of it someday too. Best of Luck.

Old 05-12-2005, 10:24 PM   #52
    martyjones
    (male)

martyjones HB User

Bewildered:

Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate you taking the time to check back on this thread.

I got my meds today and took 6 just so i could finally get some sleep (i haven't slept since Sunday when i dropped from 8 to 2 in one day). I felt guilty taking them, but I figured that the rest was needed and would help me have more healthy out look on this whole thing. I also feel guilty for getting to this point when my pain would have been manageable with much weaker med, but i bought into the "non-addictive, shuts down your pain sensors" BS. I don't know how people like you are able to cope with your EXTREME physical pain AND W/D's...whew. I mean I had a really bad migraine on Tuesday (threw up twice), but they only last 5-7 hours usually. I can't imagine having it constantly be there.

Yes I noticed little twitches when I was falling asleep, but it was nothing that really concerned me. They were very minor and usually i was so drowsy that i didn't think a second thing about it. One other thing i noticed is that i could be just about all asleep and then all of a sudden wake completely up thinking I had heard something or that someone was in my room...that was kinda weird but didn't really bother me.

However, the past few days of H*** were mostly due to twitching and that awful AWFUL Restless 'Parts' Syndrome. Did you every go through that? It is so weird and it was really freaking me completely out until i came on here and read more about it and realized it was just something that is a part of getting off and that i'm not going crazy. Mine wasnt jsut the Leg part though, It was my legs, arms, and ESPECIALLY the sides of my neck and lower neck/upper shoulders. Did you go through any of that?

As far as anti-depressants: Yes, I was only Effexor-XR 37.5mg for 2 months and then jumped up to 75mg for one month. I really didn't think that it was helping at all, so I stopped that and started taking Wellbutrin. Do you think that some of my W/D symptoms could be because of stopping Effexor? I mean i've heard that it does have W/D with it, but i figured since i immediately started the Wellbutrin that it wouldn't be a problem. However, i don't believe that Wellbutrin affects Seretonin (it does noeperpeherine and dopamine), so maybe it was? What do you think?

I really do appreciate your reply and if you could keep checking up on me (i realized i can't post my e-mail ) and keep me accountable I'd really appreciate it. I'm so embarassed to be in this situation because people would never believe that I could be here. I"m an A student on a full scholarship with spending money, I do tons of community service, i'm very religious, and have several leadership roles...so i don't really want to admit it to any of my friends. I'd rather just get it over with and get on with my life.

Thanks again Bewildered, i'm slightly less bewildered now

Old 05-12-2005, 10:36 PM   #53
    martyjones
    (male)

martyjones HB User

Lori:

I just saw your reply so i wanted to say thank you also! :-D I really do NOT want to talk to a doctor about this. Nor do I want my parents to know, they would worry themselves sick. I just want to do this on my own, and I feel like I can ESPECIALLY now that i see just how dangerous and nasty this drug is. Like I said to Bewildered, maybe going off the Effexor was what made this time soooooo much worse than the other times.

Couple of quick questions for yall:

-Given that i DO NOT want to talk to a Dr., can you reccomend a taper plan? (Given that a week ago i was taking about 18-22 a day). The last time i was clean was back in Mid-February, so I guess i've been 2.5 months. However, i only got into the 20avg the past couple of weeks. During the previous times I was usally taking about 10. What do you think?

-Did you all get the Restless Syndrome in your neck or just legs? Is there anyway to beat this symptom? I took 5 Tylenol "Simply Sleep" pills last night and all it did was make my head hurt and feel more fatigued: no sleep.

-Is there some way to just completely clean out my system, like get the remaining junk and deposits that has probably been piling up? I looked at GNC but the only thing I seemed to find was like digestive stuff and anything that warns about 'explosive diarhea' and "gently cleansing your colon" is NOT what i want to do unless i'm SURE it will help. So is there some kind of Non-Rx, herbal or otherwise that will clean out the liver/kidney (where is tramadol processed in the body?) and get this out or do i just have to wait it out?

-What do you think about the Effexor thing? I haven't looked up much about its w/d's but do you think i'm getting both?

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN! I feel sooo much better now that I feel like i'm not going through it alone and that others have been here and beat it. I almost cried last night, i was so relieved. Yall are a God-send.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:03 PM   #54
    Done with Drugs
    (female)

Done with Drugs HB User

Hi,
    This is regarding the switch from Effexor to Wellbutrin. Yes, I do think that some of your symptoms may be due to the change. You see, Effexor, like Paxil and others is an SSRI. Wellbutrin is not, it has a different mechanism. I take Effexor Xr 150 once a day and if I miss two days, I feel awful, even nauseated and very dizzy and a "sloshy head", if that makes sense. If you look up the Effexor Website, it tells you, that these are "Discontinuation Syndrome", they shy away from the word WITHDRAWAL, which it sure is. So, I would ask my doc about this. Perhaps take in some info from the internet and show him. Compare the Wellbutrin, etc. We all must be our own advocates for our health. The doctors often can not keep up with all of this. Especially when the drug representatives whom they count on, only hand out samples and don't tell them any new information.
    I hope this helps.

Emily's mom

Old 05-12-2005, 11:19 PM   #55
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Marty, about the twitches in your neck & upper back & shoulers, one of the side effects of ultram is muscle spasm. I had horrible ones in my back & shoulders while on it.

I feel like you too, the guilt, I never did an illegal drug in my life & here the good doctors put me on this addictive stuff, my life still isn't right, but I'm working on it. I have flashback effects from the w/d yet, but hoping a psychologist can help me with the panic attacks, no more meds for me after this nitemare that has gone on 8 months. I feel I've lost 8 months out of my life from this med mess!

Since your new here, we get notices in our email when someone posts to a thread we have replied to, so we will know when there is activity on this post & when you post, as the poster is listed in the emails we get, you will get them too. Good way to keep up with posts & people were replying to.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:31 PM   #56
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by martyjones
    Lori:

I just saw your reply so i wanted to say thank you also! :-D I really do NOT want to talk to a doctor about this. Nor do I want my parents to know, they would worry themselves sick. I just want to do this on my own, and I feel like I can ESPECIALLY now that i see just how dangerous and nasty this drug is. Like I said to Bewildered, maybe going off the Effexor was what made this time soooooo much worse than the other times.

Couple of quick questions for yall:

-Given that i DO NOT want to talk to a Dr., can you reccomend a taper plan? (Given that a week ago i was taking about 18-22 a day). The last time i was clean was back in Mid-February, so I guess i've been 2.5 months. However, i only got into the 20avg the past couple of weeks. During the previous times I was usally taking about 10. What do you think?

-Did you all get the Restless Syndrome in your neck or just legs? Is there anyway to beat this symptom? I took 5 Tylenol "Simply Sleep" pills last night and all it did was make my head hurt and feel more fatigued: no sleep.

-Is there some way to just completely clean out my system, like get the remaining junk and deposits that has probably been piling up? I looked at GNC but the only thing I seemed to find was like digestive stuff and anything that warns about 'explosive diarhea' and "gently cleansing your colon" is NOT what i want to do unless i'm SURE it will help. So is there some kind of Non-Rx, herbal or otherwise that will clean out the liver/kidney (where is tramadol processed in the body?) and get this out or do i just have to wait it out?

-What do you think about the Effexor thing? I haven't looked up much about its w/d's but do you think i'm getting both?

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN! I feel sooo much better now that I feel like i'm not going through it alone and that others have been here and beat it. I almost cried last night, i was so relieved. Yall are a God-send.
    Marty, since it's not like a benzo (valium, xanax etc) or an anti-depressant, but more of an opium drug, I can't say that I know what kind of schedule to use, but for me, at 2 a day for 9 weeks, I just kept cutting back a little at a time. DO NOT go cold turkey. You may not notice any w/d at all the first week & then it could hit you when you least expect it.

Try cutting back a little at a time, at least two weeks at each cut back, til your body adjusts to each cut back. Remember, it's in your brain chemistry & your cells of your body.

You may try looking up opium w/d in a search, not sure, but you may find a schedule for that, about everything you could want is on the internet anymore.

Like I said, don't cut it all out at once, it will come back to bite you.

Your body will crave it & you'll have worse w/d's then you can imagine.

I tried effexor for a litte over a week, it made my heart race terrible so I got off it. I'm not sure about a weaning program for that, but most ssri's have to weaned off too.

You are at a very high dosage of ultram & I doubt the short time you took effexor would be affecting you, it takes an ssri usually 4 to 6 weeks to actually start working.

You may want to start a post here at this board & ask for help with w/d from ultram. Someone may not see your post in this one.

I know I had to cut back little by little & each time I did, I went thru w/d's.. Each time I had tremors & horrible pain behind my eyes & could not sleep.

Also, try not to take anything else right now, even over the counter sleep aids, my feeling is we have enough damage from this & there is no herbal that will clean it out of your body fast. That is the thing with w/d, there is no easy way, that is why people have such a hard time getting off of them, many people can't handle the w/d & go back on them.

We're all here to help & support you. I also had to wean off of xanax, which is no picnic either. I had to go on that to help with the w/d from the ultram, only because of my back pain, without the xanax to keep me somewhat calm, my back was going into spasm & causing more damage to my back problems.

I am a medicine nitemare, trust me, you don't want to replace one med with another, just tough it out & get it out of you, slowly...

I hope to be off my anti-depressant & go med free this year!!

Old 05-12-2005, 11:42 PM   #57
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Marty, just went to get my glass of ice water & remembered! DUH!!!

Here are some tips:
    1. Drink lots & lots of water, more than you ever did before, that helps clean out your system.

2. Avoid junk food, choclate & anything with caffein in it.

3. Eat lots of fruit & bananas

4. Someone told me, to eat like a diabetic. Several small meals a day, not big meals.

I know drinking tons of water helped me, tea & coffee are diuretics & aren't as good as water. Also, colas aren't that good, too much sugar & caffein.

Use a heating pad when you get those twitches in your upper shoulders & back & neck, it helps relax the muscles, also I put ben-gay type ointment on my neck & shoulders, as I would panic when it happened & that seemed to relax the muscles too.
    Hope these tips help, if I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:45 PM   #58
    Done with Drugs
    (female)

Done with Drugs HB User

Again Regarding EFFEXOR. You did take it for two months, so you would have built up enough to have a shock to your system on quitting. By switching to Wellbutrin, it was as though you quit the other. I was hospitalized once for depression and they switched me from Prozac to Effexor with no problem due to the fact that they are both SSRI. Please, at least bring it up to your doc. Why should you suffer any extra symptoms, while going off the Ultram.

again, take care,
    emily's mom

Old 05-12-2005, 11:59 PM   #59
    Done with Drugs
    (female)

Done with Drugs HB User

Hi everyone,
    I know everyone wishes and hopes that there is a "herbal" that will clean them out, but really there is no such thing. Some supplements may help with some symptoms, but nothing but time will really allow your body to get to normal.
    I once went to the E.R. and told them that I had overdosed on Tylenol. Actually, I had been taking about 20 Vicodin ES a day. So that was about 15,000 mgs. of Tylenol, the allowed dosage per day is 4,000. I read this and freaked out, sure I was going to die. So, I went to the E.R. and told them and there was a drug, I don't remember the name. You had to drink it, it tasted terrible. THey woke me up around the clock to take it so I would not damage my liver. You must also ingest it within 48 hours of the tylenol or it may be too late. Well, the main symptom was terrible diaharea, It somehow binded to the Tylenol and took it out of the body. I don't know about the Hydrocodone part of the pills. All I remember is I was there for three days and had no withdrawals at all. But I would not recommend it. THey tried mixing it with Coca Cola, but I just drank it down (a few ounces) and then drank the soda after to kill the taste. I suppose you could find this drug on the internet under "Tylenol Overdose". I never told them that I had taken Vicodin. I just told them that I had taken 30 Tylenol over three days due to a headache. I did really have the headache. THey ended up giving me Darvon (no Tylenol only Aspirin in it) and the headache went away. THis may be a drug that cleans your system of any drug taken as I truly had no withdrawals and I had been taking the Vicodin ES for several weeks. Perhaps a doctor should do some research on this. I think I will tell my addictionologist, although he may think I am nuts!!
    Some one asked if there was a "herbal" that could clean you out. Be very careful with herbals. Just because they are natural, does not mean they are safe. Vitamins and Minerals are fine but there are all kinds of things out there now called "dietary supplements" which would NOT be approved by the FDA if they were call drugs or medicines although they claim to "cure" all kinds of things. Just be careful, don't make things worse. Find a Dr. you can trust. He or She will not want you to suffer. The first sentence in the Hippocratic oath is "First do no harm" and that is exactly what a good doctor will do.

Old 05-14-2005, 07:46 PM   #60
    martyjones
    (male)

martyjones HB User

Lori,
    I didn't have any negative symptoms while on the Tramadol (generic ultram). Never had any muscle spasms. These that I was/am experiencing now aren't really a spasm at all. It's more like a dull constant irration that gets worse as I lie still. It doesn't really 'hurt' persay but it's like a tingley half-asleep feeling that irritates the h*** out of me and completely keeps me from sleeping/sitting still. :-( THis has by far been the worst symptom of all this. By the way, I got my new prescription and I'm gonna wean myself off much more slowly this time. Last time I had gone from my high dose of like 25, then 15, 12, 8, 4, 2....and quit 75mg Effexor cold turkey...my body flipped the F out. :-(

**Has anyone tried L-Tyrosine or Gluthathione??? I heard that it really helps people who are trying to go off narcotics like Vicodin/oxycontin/hydrocodone/ect. Do you think it might be helpful for those of us addicted to ultram?

**I read somewhere that if you put soap in the bed that it cured Restless Leg Sydrome. I know that sounds completely ridiculous, but people swear by it. Anyone heard of such a thing???

Hope you are all doing well. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I wanted to say thank you again for your posts, advice, and kind words. It's the hope and support that I really needed! *HUGS*

Sincerely,
    Marty

PS: do you think i should keep replying to this topic or start a new one to keep in touch with yall?

Closed Thread