It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Well, I finally did it, I have taken the Accutane plunge!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-16-2005, 02:58 PM   #106
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User
    Re: Well, I finally did it, I have taken the Accutane plunge!!

ANYTIME! and by the way its all true,I am not just humoring you! Thank god you are going to win me some money, I am tired of having to work!! I want to sit around and eat bon bons all day just like Peggy Bundy! Today is 43 days in to the tane, my face is still blowing up just about everyother day. Its weird, I will have two good skin days and then a blow up. I am guessing it has to do with my increased dosage every other day. It could be much worse so I am still not stressing over it. Did you find any Jergens at target? A lady I work with told me I looked all bronzy and healthy today like I had been on vacation. Its a distraction from the disaster on my face right now! All smoke and mirrors and miss direction!! Gotta go and do the yoga booty ballet...till next time!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2005, 08:57 PM   #107
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Hey girls- Sounds like everything is going fairly well for you!! That's good to hear, but I can't say the same.

Basically.. I'm still getting cysts, I'm still unhappy- in fact, I'm probably ACTUALLY depressed for the first time in my life. I just feel completely exhausted by my skin. I know it sounds like it's a little much, but honestly- I can't get used to looking at my face like this... and I can't get used to it being scarred from something that is so small..but so huge. I already have some light scarring and alot of red marks.. and this can never heal if I continue to break out with the monsterous cysts, ya know?? I just feel completely hopeless.. I will never get my skin back to the way it was.

And since I've been so upset, I have had no energy and want to sleep alot. That isn't like me at all, so it's a little scary. I know that I will pull myself out of it, but right now- it just consumes me.

So, you don't reccomend accutane?? So far nothing has worked. Not retin a micro, not doxy, not BP, not birth control pills..etc. Im on the doxy 3 months now.. so, if it hasn't worked by now- it's not working.
    I'm basically at my wit's end... I dont know what to do, or where to go from here. My appt got cancelled somehow at the derm, so I am going June 6th. We shall see...we shall see.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:03 AM   #108
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Juici
    I have so been there but really you can't let this get you down, it is very easy to let your self be consumed by your skin. Even though my skin continues to cycle through breakouts, it is in better shape than it has been in quite a while, my breakouts have not made my skin any worse than it was when I started my treatment, if that gives you any perspective. I would recommend trying accutane, if you feel like you want to give it a go. I am not sorry I took the treatment. keep your head up! I have a light at the end of the tunnel while on this med which is something I haven't felt about my skin for a very long time. Whats worse a few contained breakouts in a short amount of time or bad skin indefintely, this is what helps me to think of it this way. Things will get better, that is weird about your apt. sorry!

Old 05-17-2005, 08:09 AM   #109
    Mic1980

Mic1980 HB User

Hey deltoro, I experienced a strange side effect last night and I am wondering if this is normal. I shaved my legs in a hurry, with a razor that wasnt too great and a little bit of soap and water. A couple hours later, my legs were absolutely covered in razor burn. Bright red and painful, like nothing I've ever had. It looks better today, but a bit like I have a bad sun burn on parts of my legs. Have you had any problems with shaving?

Old 05-17-2005, 09:43 AM   #110
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

No I haven't but your skin is so sensetive while on accutane, this seems like it would jive with the skin issue, just keep in mind all of your skin is way sensetive not just your face. It could have just been you didn't use enought lubriacant either. I wouldn't worry just be super carefull with you skin!!!

Old 05-17-2005, 11:52 AM   #111
    Mic1980

Mic1980 HB User

Thanks! I definitely learned my lesson. I don't think I'll be able to shave my legs again for like a week now though. Good thing my boyfriend is out of town!

Old 05-17-2005, 01:04 PM   #112
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

hi juici! i am so sorry to hear about your skin! i know just exactly what you are going through, and it soooo sucks. i wouldn't recommend the accutane EXCEPT as an absolute last resort, and honey, it sounds like you are there. imo, when antibiotics and topicals aren't working, it's time. that's where i got to, although i didn't get actual cysts until i went on accutane. i thought i did, but was shown something totally different. i can't believe your derm appt got cancelled, w/out your knowledge. sounds crazy, but happens i guess. have you done any research on the tane and it's side effects? checked w/your insurance carrier?

i feel so awful for you, poor thing! i know just what you are going through, when your face hurts so bad even washing hurts, even sitting hurts, and you can't even look at people, and don't want to leave the house. i stayed in the house for two whole weeks, had my mom pick up my meds, how bad is that? i was real depressed too.

so you have to wait until june to see yer derm again? have you talked about the tane with him before? if you're on the pill already, you can start soon. i had to wait a month so i could get on it. it's a real pain in the a$$, but prob'ly isn't like that for everyone. i had to go to the doc all the time for injections, you should ask your derm about that. have you ever had cortisone injecitons? they hurt like hell, but really knock down those big cysts. i'd say the cysts hurt worse anyway.

this thing can't last forever juic, you'll be back to your old self before you know it. just make sure, when you do go on the accutane, that you take extra special, really good care of yourself, as this stuff can wreak some serious havoc on the 'ole bod. again, prob just me, as it looks like i have another two months to go and it's already been 6. but once it's over, it's over! and del's right, at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel, even if the tunnel is 8 months long or longer, at least you'll know you're not just burrowing straight into the ground.

also, i'm so sorry i said that i wouldn't recommend accutane. i didn't mean to come off like that, i just meant that it's hard. taking pills, watching the diet, not being able to have cocktails with my friends, worrying about my cholesterol and liver, the aches and pains and photosenstivity, sucks. if there's a way around it, take it, if not, this stuff really does work. it's just hell getting there, y'know? i was being a whiner.

want me to put a dollar in a thunder-from-down-under's pants for you? for luck, i mean. there's gotta be something lucky about a hot nekkid man's thong! hahahaaaaaa

take it easy girl, i'm thinking about'cha. ali

Old 05-17-2005, 01:14 PM   #113
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

hey mic, if you haven't tried one of those 3blade razors, like the venus, you should. nice and smooth, w/ no razor burn. and wait 10 minutes or so after you get outta the shower bef you put on your lotion, to reduce irritation. i use the gillette venus divine (w/the soothing aloe strip) and it's been great, pits, legs, bikini line, you name it. plus, the blades last for a long time. kinda expensive, and i'm pretty cheap, but so worth it! good luck!

deltoro! i did find the jergen's lotion! at target. i got the fair and medium kinds. i haven't used it yet though, i'm kinda scared. is that too much stupid or what? my skin is sooo dry, esp the last coupla days, it seems, i'm afraid that my skin will suck up all the moisturizer and leave the pigment sitting on top of a bunch of dead, dry skin and it'll look all icky and weird. paranoid, i'm sure. do you use it in the morning or at night or both? seems kinda dumb to be obsessing over lotion, but you know how it is... i hope! *lol* do you think i could use it with my more goopy stuff? under, or over maybe? i'll try it tonight after my shower. do you put it on your face or use a seperate self-tanner for that?

Old 05-17-2005, 06:21 PM   #114
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Ali- Don't worry, I swear you can't mess it up, I am scared to death of tanners! Just put it on like you would put on body lotion. It is such a gradual deposit of the tanner, you won't notice much of a change for about a week, which is why if you miss a spot sometime, you will hit it another, it is impossible to streak your self with this and it looks totally natural! Just go for it! If I can do it anyone can! My skin is dry as well, no worries, I would not advise you to do something that might go hay wire!! You will thank me in a few days when you see a little color, and in a week you will be a bronzed beauty!!!! I do mine in the morning after my shower, but if I forget I do it at night, I wouldn't do it twice a day, might be over kill! You will love it!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-17-2005, 07:29 PM   #115
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Oh and I forgot to mention, I think I may have solved the mystery on the persistent flare ups on my checks I just can't get to go away. This morning when was putting on my blush I noticed that the very edge of my blush brush was hitting where I keep having the problems, noticed the same thing on the other check. I clean my makeup brushes every week with water and alchol, but this seems to be what is going on and I know acne bacteria spreads like wildfire in makeup brushes, so I am stepping it up and I am going to just clean them with alcohol/water mixture everyday and see if this helps, its a pain but if it helps, gotta do it!

Old 05-17-2005, 07:38 PM   #116
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Del and Ali-
    Hey girls. I'm sorry for the depressing post, lol- I am such a downer, huh? Lately, yeah. I mean.. It's just really hard to feel this way, and not be able to look people in the eye ...or enjoy conversations... or let people touch your face... ..or wear your hair up ....or wear certain shirts because you have a breakout on your arm/shoulder/back. It's disgusting, and it's not a way to live. Thanks for all your kind words, and support. I really appreciate it, and it makes me smile.

I had someone at work the other day ask if I ever modeled. It was a confidence boost, but they said "No?? Oh you should! Why not?" and I was like "Well, my skin...." AWKWARD. And previous to breaking out, I had been scouted twice. I get asked that all the time, but now it's much less frequent. I was planning on applying for America's Next Top Model (tv show) but acne ruined that plan..so yeah. Depressing doesn't quite do my feelings justice.

I'm definately afraid of Accutane. I've done tons of research on it, and I Know my insurance company does not cover it- which is just freakin' awesome cuz I need it, and my insurance is worthless apparently. That, in itself, is depressing.. cuz I don't think I can afford it.

So, yeah.. I basically am at a really awful point in my life- so I dont know what to do/think/say anymore. I'm tired from all the worrying, thinking, etc...

Old 05-18-2005, 09:50 AM   #117
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Juci you are not a downer at all! I have so been there and continue to have my good and bad days. Do you think there is any loop hole in your insurance coverage, so you can get accutane covered as a treatment? such as maybe having your MD prescribe it for you? Have you tried Spiro, I don't remember. This has been a miracle for some peoples skin, did not work for me, but it seems you are having moderate cyst, this might work and it is very cheap, my copay was actually more than the prescription its self, around 14.00 to fill it. Keep your head up your acne is just a very small part of who you are!

Old 05-18-2005, 12:05 PM   #118
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

juici, del is so right. we have all been exactly where you are, that's what's so cool about being here. acne is not something that you can ***** to other people about, really, makes you feel so isolated, doesn't it? that is such a huge part of the problem with it, nobody takes it seriously and nobody who's never had it can understand the effect it has on the psyche. you are NOT a downer! you are an acne sufferer. in good company too, i might add. that pisses me off that your insurance doesn't cover it. i'm having trouble with mine right now too, it's such a scam. i'll end up spending about $1500 on lab work, but saving close to $4k for meds. can you believe that?! what a pile of crap. you know, i think that i read online, maybe on roche's website?, that there is a payment assistance program for people who need accutane but can't afford it, you should check it out.

haha! found it! it's called the roche patient assistance program. 877-757-6243 is the number to call. call! call! the deliver the meds right to yer doc, fer free! call! call!

beauty is on the inside juic, obviously it's showing through if people can still see it on your bad days. keep your head up, it can't last forever.

Old 05-21-2005, 06:24 PM   #119
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

How is everybody doing? Not much to report here things are kind of just moving along. No complaints I am almost at the 8 week mark? I have lost count. My face continues to clear with minimal set backs, my face is back on track after a menstrual face eruption. Just a few active ones left on my face. Ali are you tan yet girl? Still waiting on my bon bon money. I hope juicy sees your post about the assistance program, that would be great for her if she decides to take tane. I have been using aloe vera at night to help with red marks and I am pretty pleases with the results. Hope all is well!

Old 05-22-2005, 11:56 AM   #120
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

hey del! glad to hear you are moving along, you'll be clear in no time. i am tan, thanks to you, you sweetie you! i got the last bottle of that jergens lotion last week at target, then went back a few days later, they had restocked and i got another, just in case, you know how it is. *lol* hey, off the subject, have you tried the juice of one lemon a day thing? give it a try, i think it works. i do it when i have a pimple, did it when i had the bigguns and it did seem to help. crazy, but can't hurt, unless you're allergic to citrus.

i've been having tons of back pain the last week or so, sucks, but whatever. no more pimples, but now i kinda worry about my health. what's the point of being gorgeous if yer in intensive care?! haha. just kidding, it's not that bad, but i pick up a lot of stuff off the floor (rotten kid) and all that bending and whatnot is a killer. i so need a vacation! i'm going shopping this week for new gear, eeeee! shoes, bag, capris, dress, top, and i'm all set to do some serious damage! oh, and a swimsuit. the face looks good, but the butt no longer fits the 22yo's bikini, if you get my drift. still looks pretty good, just not quite the same size! *lol*

yeah, juici didn't sound too good in her last post, i think about her all the time and have been looking for her, but can't find her. you hear that juic?! let us know how yer doing!! i so hope she calls roche about that program. i wish i had known about it 5 years ago, i'd have called, twice!

juici, call roche! talk to us! how're you doing? i'm not the praying type, but you might drive me to it. i worry. i'm a mother, i can't help it i guess.

Closed Thread