It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• For Those Who Know About Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy...I have a question...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
    karihager1982
    (female)

karihager1982 HB User
    For Those Who Know About Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy...I have a question...

Hello there - my name is Kari (22 years old from Michigan.)

My father (age 58) has had type II diabetes for over 15 years now. He needs to be on insulin, but currently refuses to do so, therefore he is taking pills daily, that do not really help him.

Because of his diabetes, my father has Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy.

I am not quite sure how long he has been diagnosed with this, but I believe it has been over 7 years.

My father is in constant pain due to the neuropathy. He has difficulty walking, and when he trys to stand up to walk, it takes him a moment to balance, and actually take a step. I know this is hard for him. He also complains about how he cannot sleep because of the shooting pain, and tingling he gets at night. One thing he always says, is that he feels as if his feet are swollen five times what they should be, although when I check his feet 2x/week - they show no signs of swelling what-so-ever.

Because of my father's illnesses, we got him approved for Disability the first time around, but he will not be eligible for medicare until August 2006.

Currently - I found a medication called 'Cymbalta' while doing research on the internet, and found that it helps treat the pain associated with this type of neuropathy.

I was just curious if anyone has heard of this medication, and if so, have you heard anything about it...good or bad? Or maybe you've had a personal experience with it???

Any replies are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    - Kari

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2005, 05:23 AM   #2
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Re: For Those Who Know About Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy...I have a question...

Hello Kari
    I am very sorry to hear about your father. I also have Type 2 Diabetes and Polyneuropathy. I have had the neuropathy for about a year and a half. My neuropathy effects both my hands and wrists & feet and calves. I have sensation's of pins & needles, crawling sensations of my legs, burning pain in both heels, and also numbness in different area's. I don't have much balance and have had falls due to this and my weak ankles. Sometimes at night I awake in so much pain and I do get many charlie horses in my toes, feet and calves. I do know exactly what your father is going through. I also have pitting edema once again in both legs and feet. This has been diagnosed by my primary doctor. He doesn't believe that it is water retention as I have had this before. I have to change my diet and limit my intake of salt as this can also cause the swelling. I also wear compression stocking's and this helps to bring down the swelling. I realize that you said that your father feet don't look swollen to you. He should still have a doctor check him. You can also tell if it is pitting edema by pressing a finger into his foot and then releasing it. If your finger mark stays into his skin for several seconds, this would be pitting edema. Also with neuropathy we also feel strange sensation's, if we feel at all. So it is very possible, like you said that his feet are not swollen.

I have not been able to try Cymbalta as my health insurance would not cover this. This often happens with new meds. I have heard great things about this med. Hopefully someone will come along and share their experience with this med. I have tried Neurontin, then Topamax. The Neurontin stopped working for me. Then their was a problem with my blood work and I had to come off Topamax. Now I am taking Trileptal, and it seems to be helping my neuropathy.

I can't stress the importance of your father keeping control of his blood glucose. This could very well be the reason as to why his neuropathy is getting worse. As of right now I am having difficulty keeping a good average on my blood glucose with my diet and med's. I think that I may also have to start to take insulin very soon. Although I am not happy with this, I really don't want any other complication's with my health. I will keep both you and your father in my prayer's.
    Jeanne

Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
    FBSS-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
    ~CERVICAL~
    Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
    Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
    C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated Discs
    C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.

Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
    Bilateral Frozen Shoulder - MUA 2/7/05
    Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
    Tendonosis, Type ll Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma,
    Acid Reflux, Migraine's, Sleep Apnea,
    PolyNeuropathy

Old 05-25-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
    OTabby
    (female)

OTabby HB User
    Arrow Re: For Those Who Know About Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy...I have a question...

Hi Kari,
    So sorry to hear about your Dad.So Nice to hear a daughter's concern for Him.
    Yes,I have all the same problems as your Dad,tho my Doc has not really pinpointed my neuropathy.It could have been the chemotherapy.I just want to be pain free,no matter what Tag is put on it.
    I've been on Cymbalta for 6 months and it stops the nightime stabbing bouncing pain within 2 nights.What a Delight !!!! It costs $120.00 a month.If you have a Costco close by check them out,you don't have to be a member ,to have a RX filled.I hear they are the cheapest in the USA.So glad my Insurance covers it @ $50.00 co-pay.
    Cymbalta does not help with everyday Day Pain like:swollen hot/cold/dry/unbalanced Feet or weak legs/buttocks hurt/sensation of walking on gravel/ringing in ears or hands that won't close & the list can go on & on.
    Cymbalta is GREAT for nightime RELIEF only !!! I Highly Recommend It.
    Glad to hear Your Dad is on SS Disability,every bit ($) helps.Hope He did not have to fight for it.I'm on SSD for another reason,56 years old & sometimes feel 96. Life can be so unfair...

Take Care of Daddy.................JL

Old 05-27-2005, 04:31 AM   #4
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User
    Re: For Those Who Know About Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy...I have a question...

Chromium picolinate helps to control glucose. I take it for insurance. I asked my endocrinologist if that was cheating. He said it's money in the bank.
    fly

Old 08-28-2005, 07:44 PM   #5
    Fancylady
    (female)

Fancylady HB User

Hi Kari,
    I too, have Peripheral Neurpathy. I have the same symtoms as your father. I
    have taken Cymbalta and had side effects. I went back on Neurontin. Both are expensive unless you have insurance. My bowels wouldn't move at all on Cymbalta. Thats why I couldn't take it. They start you on a build-up amount
    and when I couldn't even take that, so never went on to the higher mg. I hope this helps. Good Luck! Billlie

Closed Thread