It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• How long to ween off of Klonopin? (or benzos in general)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
    tshont
    (female)

tshont HB User
    How long to ween off of Klonopin? (or benzos in general)

I have been on it for almost 4 months and am beginning to ween off slowly. How long should it take me? I suffer from anxiety/ panic disorder. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2005, 10:16 PM   #2
    vo-5
    (female)

vo-5 HB User
    Re: How long to ween off of Klonopin? (or benzos in general)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tshont
    I have been on it for almost 4 months and am beginning to ween off slowly. How long should it take me? I suffer from anxiety/ panic disorder. Thanks!
    Only with your doctor's help. You can have seizures if you quit cold turkey; also really bad flu like symptoms. It is best to cut down 1/4 tablet less a week. Most important is to be on anti-seizure medication first.

Old 05-29-2005, 05:49 AM   #3
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

Hi,
    First off just let me say that I'm not trying to start a fight here, but I took Xanax everyday for 7 years and I weaned off of it and I didn't take any anti-seizure medication.
    In fact I know three other people who have weaned off benzo's and none of them have taken any kind of anti-seizure medication.
    But I guess Doctors are just like we are, no one drug or therapy works for everyone and no two Doctors will handle weaning the same way.

Just don't stop it cold turkey, and don't do it without your Doctor's help.

My Doctor gave me a schedule but to be honest I can't remember how long it took me.
    I know that I went very slowly and I had no problems at all.
    My Doctor told me it wasn't a race and in fact he told me that by going slowly I would probably be able to wean off easily and I did.

I'm no Doctor but I would imagine that how long it takes you to get off would depend a lot on how much you're taking.
    I would think it would take less time to wean off of a 1/4 MG than it would to wean off 1 MG.

I took a very small dose, so in my case it wasn't the amount I was taking that played a part in how long it took me to wean off, but the length of time I was taking it.
    Many things can play a part in how long it takes you.

The best advice I can give you is talk to your Doctor about weaning and don't ever try to go it on your own.

Last edited by Graciecat; 05-29-2005 at 06:20 AM.

Old 05-29-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
    vo-5
    (female)

vo-5 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graciecat
    Hi,
    First off just let me say that I'm not trying to start a fight here, but I took Xanax everyday for 7 years and I weaned off of it and I didn't take any anti-seizure medication.
    In fact I know three other people who have weaned off benzo's and none of them have taken any kind of anti-seizure medication.
    But I guess Doctors are just like we are, no one drug or therapy works for everyone and no two Doctors will handle weaning the same way.

Just don't stop it cold turkey, and don't do it without your Doctor's help.

My Doctor gave me a schedule but to be honest I can't remember how long it took me.
    I know that I went very slowly and I had no problems at all.
    My Doctor told me it wasn't a race and in fact he told me that by going slowly I would probably be able to wean off easily and I did.

I'm no Doctor but I would imagine that how long it takes you to get off would depend a lot on how much you're taking.
    I would think it would take less time to wean off of a 1/4 MG than it would to wean off 1 MG.

I took a very small dose, so in my case it wasn't the amount I was taking that played a part in how long it took me to wean off, but the length of time I was taking it.
    Many things can play a part in how long it takes you.

The best advice I can give you is talk to your Doctor about weaning and don't ever try to go it on your own.
    Graciecat, I think there was a misundertanding. My advice was for tshont to cut the Xanax down by 1/4 mg. of whatever dose they are taking each week. Perhaps it is because you took a very small does that you were able to do it yourself. I take 3.0 mg. a day. I have been through withdrawl by trying to do it myself and it was horrible. The flu-like symptoms (aching arms and diarreaha were the worst). I also had a close friend who was on 5.0 mg. a day, she quit herself and had terrible seizures. I looked it up on the internet and it said to take anti-seizure meds first for anyone who is taking 2-3 mg or more, so I was not surprised when I my shrink put me on anti-seizure meds. He wants me off the stuff. It is good advice for tshont to talk to their Doctor about weaning off first. Also, you may want to look it up for yourself on the internet. Good luck to you.

Last edited by vo-5; 05-29-2005 at 11:30 AM.

Old 05-29-2005, 01:22 PM   #5
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

Hi,

I didn't do it myself, my Doctor is the one who set up the weaning schedule for me.

I don't have panic/anxiety problems any more, but when I did looking things up on the internet was one of the things I used to do all the time...I stopped doing that a long time ago

I'm sure some Doctor's do prescribe anti-seizure medication, all I was saying is that mine didn't and I knew of other Doctor's who don't and that they should never be stopped cold turkey or without the knowledge and help of a Doctor.
    Like I said we're all different and all of our Doctors will do different things.

Last edited by Graciecat; 05-29-2005 at 01:25 PM.

Old 05-29-2005, 06:37 PM   #6
    allen_dave
    (male)

allen_dave HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tshont
    Here's the thing with benzos. If you have a severe underlying problem that requires benzos to treat (ie. panic attacks, severe chronic anxiety, etc.), it will be either impossible or very hard to get off benzos. If you don't have any severe underlying problem that benzos are helping, then it should be quite easy, assuming you're not "hooked" on them from abuse.

I guess I would compare the scenario to diabetes. If your body requires insulin to treat diabetes, then you are NOT in a position to quit taking insulin. I think the same is true for benzos.........just my non-professional opinons.

Old 05-29-2005, 07:26 PM   #7
    vo-5
    (female)

vo-5 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allen_dave
    Here's the thing with benzos. If you have a severe underlying problem that requires benzos to treat (ie. panic attacks, severe chronic anxiety, etc.), it will be either impossible or very hard to get off benzos. If you don't have any severe underlying problem that benzos are helping, then it should be quite easy, assuming you're not "hooked" on them from abuse.

I guess I would compare the scenario to diabetes. If your body requires insulin to treat diabetes, then you are NOT in a position to quit taking insulin. I think the same is true for benzos.........just my non-professional opinons.
    I haven't been abusing them knowingly. It is the dosages my other shrink put me on to relieve the anxiety/panic. My new shrink said 2-3 mg. over more than a few months = hooked. I didn't believe him until I tried to get off them myself. I tried it slow too and still had flu-like symptoms, no seizures, but horrible flu like symptoms. My friend who was on 5.0 mg a day quit cold turkey without telling her doc and had seizures. When that happened I look it up on the internet. It was all over the place about flu like symptoms and/or seizures when getting off benzos.

Old 05-29-2005, 07:50 PM   #8
    swirlygirl
    (female)

swirlygirl HB User

Hi all!
    What good timing for me to read your posts re: weaning off benzos. My therapist suggested that I stop taking my morning dose of 1.5 mg because I am so fatigued all the time - I have been diagnosed with an anxiety/panic disorder after 15 months of trying to deal with an inner ear disorder - unsuccessfully for the most part. I also take 1.5 mg at night. She thought that going off the morning dosage may help me.

Anyway, she suggested that I try cold turkey on a weekend and see what happened. I did not take my morning dosage and by suppertime (about 9 hours after I would normally take it), I felt like I was extremely agitated, had developed a bad headache and was feeling "achey". I was surprised that I would feel so bad so soon, and I'm not sure if this is the norm, but I am definitely rethinking the "cold turkey" approach! I've been on Klonopin for ~5 months, and I have adhered to my dr's dosage until now, (my GP and my therapist are 2 different people) and my anxiety had gone down quite a bit, with no actual panic attacks for a couple of months. I have always been careful with going to more than one person for different aspects of my condition that we work as a team and everyone is informed about what the other suggests. This was the one time I forgot (or chose to ignore) my own "rule" - inform the others before I do anything.

So... thanks for the timely advice and a reminder to myself that I should definitely do the research and have as much info as possible before I just go along with what is suggested, even if it is a trusted member of my medi-care system. A reminder that we have to be our own health advocates....

~swirlygirl

Old 05-29-2005, 08:38 PM   #9
    kaykay5
    (female)

kaykay5 HB User

I too am beginning the weaning process off of Klonopin. I have taken 1mg for 2 months at night for insomnia. My doctor said to take 2 months to slowly taper down. I've only had two nights so far at .75 and it's been very noticeable. Flu like aches and headache. I hope this doesn't last the whole two months during this process. I should never have been on this drug to start with since it did not cure my insomnia (I still wake up every hour).

Old 05-31-2005, 09:25 AM   #10
    kaykay5
    (female)

kaykay5 HB User

Tshont
    Just wondering how it's going with your weaning off of Klonopin. Can you give me your details since I too am tapering off of 1mg . What is the dose you are starting with?

Closed Thread