It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Well, I finally did it, I have taken the Accutane plunge!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-05-2005, 07:51 PM   #166
    Mic1980

Mic1980 HB User
    Re: Well, I finally did it, I have taken the Accutane plunge!!

Juici, I felt exactly the same as you and I think had a similar issue with acne -- nothing like the pictures you see, but 4-5 cysts at a time on my chin that would have to be injected to go away. This would not respond to any treatments, even birth control and retin-a, antibiotics, etc. When my derm suggested Accutane I had a month to think about it and was so scared of the side effects i came THIS close to choosing not to take it. When I took my first pill I almost had an anxiety attack. And now, one month into it, I have no zits and the only side effect I've experienced is slightly dry lips. I'm so glad I made this decision. I wish I had done this a year or two ago, rather than going through more and more money and attempts at alternative treatments. If your derm will prescribe it to you, I say try it, and chances are it will be not half as bad as you think.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2005, 09:24 PM   #167
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Mic- What is your dosage? Height/weight?

Well, I'm worried that it won't even be an option for me or something. The last 2 derm appts, the first said to try the antibiotic first.. and the 2nd derm I went to told me no way, no accutane. Then, I cried and told her how my acne affects me and she sort of said, "well I won't say I will never prescribe it for you, but not right now- no way. I mean, it would clear you up, but No." And I will never go back to her for that!!!!!!
    I recently found out the first derm I went to doesn't practice dermatology anymore and only does facial cosmetic work or something? So, I am now going to a 3rd derm, but she works in the same office as the 1st derm.. So hopefully she will be nice, too.

I'm nervous about my appt.. Its at 7:45 tomarrow night. I just want to clear this mess up. I take my make up off at ngiht and cry sometimes. With make up on, I look surprisingly okay- But a few hours after application, it melts away from all the oil and makes my acne look awful..not to mention my complexion looks bad, too. (shiney, sort of orangey I guess? But not ORANGE.. just..it has that gross "yes I am wearing make up, can you tell?" look to it.. ick. I never used to wear facial make up, and now I am forced to look like a cake face.)

I'm worried about Accutane, in general, too- But I do hair, and I stand all day long, and have my hands in water alot, and chemicals sometimes.. And I mean, On a normal day I come home with some lower back pain and red, irritated hands.. So I have no idea how I will be on Accutane with my job. I don't want to have any permanent damage caused by overdoing it or something. Grrrr... This is such a hard choice. I'm just so tired of acne and how it makes me feel.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:14 AM   #168
    bimbotica
    (female)

bimbotica HB User

wow mic your post is so encouraging.
    and juci you are sooo not alone. i'm kinda dark skinned cause my mom's italian and my dad's mixed as well. so my post acne marks take ages to go away!!! my goodness....even my derm warned me that in a fair skinned patient it'll go away much faster than on me..and it's true.i currently have one active zit but it doesnt look that way cause of all the marks.
    and like you said juci i cant live without make up now. its like i hated make up a year ago and look at me now. and i actually look good with it on.but once its off its a different story altogether.
    my next derm's appoinment's on june 23rd and i'll def discuss accutane.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:32 AM   #169
    Mic1980

Mic1980 HB User

I am a 24 year old female, 5'3" and 100 pounds. I take 40 mg a day right now. I'm not sure if my derm is planning to up that or not -- I am seeing her today for my second month refill!

Old 06-06-2005, 11:33 AM   #170
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Hey all- Just wanted to say that I have my Derm appt tonight at 7:45 and I am nervous. I hate Drs.

My skin isn't too bad at the moment.. My nose is weird.. I still have that little area that is kinda tender which I am praying doesnt turn into a cyst.. but I put so much BP on the area over the past few days, I think I irritated all my pores on my nose cuz I have a bunch of little red dots now. Weird. Hopefully that goes away too. Frickin Acne!

Anyway.. Still not sure what to do or say at the derm. It's like.. I want accutane, but yet I don't. I wish it would just go away.. But I know it won't, and I do not want to scar. So.. Let's see what she has to say... Blah.

Old 06-06-2005, 02:21 PM   #171
    arock
    Inactive
    (female)

arock HB User

JUICI! good to have you back, girl! know what? try the tane. how much worse can it be? just make sure that you use those little disposable gloves when you work w/chemicals, and wear comfy shoes at work, diesel has some that are sooooo cute! it's made a world of difference in my skin, truly, it has. for all my whining and all, i'm glad that i decided to go for it. i've found that for my hands that neutrogena hand cream is the way to go, takes care of the extreme scales i've been getting on the backs of my hands. i'm a housewife/mom, so my i'm always washing, scrubbing, scouring too, and it takes it's toll even w/out the tane, but the cream helps like crazy.

take care of you, sweetie, you're the only you you have! ali

Old 06-06-2005, 02:48 PM   #172
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Ali- *sigh* You made me feel alot better with that post. I don't know why, It just was comforting. Thank you.

Yeah, I definately think I would benefit from Accutane. I know my acne is caused by irregular shedding of my skin and oiliness. Which is what accutane takes care of. (Adding exfoliation to my regimen in high school completely cleared my skin, I'm almost 100% positive.) I stopped exfoliating with something grainy, and started using softer scrubs- and I believe that is what triggered my acne to reappear because it wasn;t exfoliating enough. (I never had ACNE, but as a teen, I got random zits here and there.. When I started exfoliating, I had beautiful skin for years.)

Now.. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I decided to buy the same grainy scrub again because the company stopped making it, and now they have it again- and start using it with the retin-a micro because I have zero irritation from it. Low and behold, I started seeing results. Keep in mind I am on the retin a micro for 5 months, and most see results after 2 months. I saw nothing til the scrub was introduced. But, I just don't think that it will ever be 100% because of the oiliness in my skin. Retin-a helps a bit with oiliness but not enough. If I could get my skin shedding/oiliness under control, I think it would eliminate my problem. That's just my random input, tho.

I strongly believe some acne is bacterial (well, all is bacterial but some forms of it are very infected, while others are not. I never get whiteheads..Ever.).. Bacterial acne usually responds immediately to antibiotics and responds really well.(mine had almost no response to antis) Some acne is hormonal, and stops when someone starts a birth control pill. (I still get acne, and have been on the same pill 6 months. I also do not break out worse around my period, really- I break out all month. I have no signs of other hormonal problems.) And, Some acne is irregular shedding and oil..which I think is the kind that Accutane takes care of "permanently" in most cases. (I.e. it fixes the way the skin sheds itself and shrinks the sebaceous glands. If thats the only thing causing ur acne, ur pretty much cured. However, if you have very hormonal or bacterial acne, it may come back.) Does anyone think this is crazy or makes sense?

Old 06-06-2005, 04:23 PM   #173
    babygirl2005_21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

I think you hit the nail right on the head! I think that is mainly the three causes of acne. I think mine is partly hormonal and partly the shedding of my skin like yours. I think I have made my choice. I am going on accutane on my next derm. appointment. I am so sick of the little annoying pimples!!!

Old 06-06-2005, 04:52 PM   #174
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Juici,

I agree with your post, you have some good points! I am curious about how your derm apt was? Let us know!! Hope it goes well!

Old 06-06-2005, 08:19 PM   #175
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Well, I finally got a great derm, that's for sure. We talked for like 30 mins. She didn't give me accutane, though.. But I'm kind of ok with it. I kinda knew I wouldn't get it because my skin IS relatively clear right now.. Plus I wore make up because I cannot go out of the house without it.

Anyway.. She told me that she is very stringent on who she gives it to. If all else fails, then we will discuss it... But she said that I could possibly clear up from a different birth control pill, or the retin a micro w/ exfoliation like I mentioned. She wants to be safe about it, she said, because I am young and female and it could cause problems..which I Know. I agreed to try a stronger retin-a micro, and change my bcp... She doesn't want me on antibiotics for very long.. She doesn't see them as a solution.. she said they basically help you get through a topical initial breakout..and they like to get you off anti's in about 6 months. (She's so honest, The last derm I went to told me u can stay on antibiotics for years and Drs overdo the side effects.) So yeah.. I guess I have 3 more months of waiting, watching and hoping it goes away. At least I know that eventually, I can take Accutane if its necessary.. She really put it into perspective for me. If I can find something that works that won't potentially harm me, i'm better off.. But if all else fails, it's always there to help... So yeah. Thats it, I guess. I got a bunch of samples, including some stuff for my hands cuz I mentioned that I work in a salon and my hands get pretty icky...so I figured I might as well say it while Im here and they gave me a bunch of hand creams and stuff.. So it was a worthwhile trip. Hopefully I will get this sorted out without Accutane.. If I can't..then I hopefully can take it. I'm trying to be positive and not so horrible to myself over my acne... I don't want to live like a hermit. She knows how I feel though, and she said she understands and so I think that she would give me accutane if the next couple treatments fail.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:57 PM   #176
    AcneSufferer
    (male)

AcneSufferer HB User

i was wondering if anyone knew when guys normally outgrow acne, i know that usually girls have it much longer because god despises them. I am 18 and have had it for 4 years, and im ready to Live my Life ..so maybe i should go on accutane and risk going blind, have liver damage, sleep deprived, overly dry lips/skin, depression, and the rest of that ****. suggestions?

Old 06-07-2005, 07:30 AM   #177
    mikegoons
    (male)

mikegoons HB User

2 Words- DO IT

Old 06-07-2005, 09:40 AM   #178
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Good for you juici! It sounds like you are really upbeat after finally getting some good advice from a derm!!! There are so few left that just won't give you a bs line and send you on your way! Your are so right, accutane is there as only a last resort. I am so glad you are doing better, do not shut yourself off from the outside world because of this one little thing, you are so much more than acne! I was worried for awhile I feel better after reading your post!!! Keep your head up

As for when males stop having acne I am not sure I would say early 20's I know men can continue to grow taller etc into their early 20's so not sure on that one,how bad is your acne? and what treatments have you tried?

Last edited by deltoro; 06-07-2005 at 09:41 AM.

Old 06-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #179
    JuiciCouture
    (female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Del- Hey hun, How's it?

Well, yeah- I definately feel alot better. I guess I was really depressed the other day because I was having a few good weeks and then broke out, so I was just like.. so DONE with it at that point. But this derm was such a sweetheart, and her assistant was telling me how she was shocked that I was there for acne treatment, cuz my skin looked great to her. I told her it's because they probably see worst case scenarios, but to me- my skin is my worst case scenario.. ya know? Like, it's bad to me.

She was just so understanding, I don't know- and she kept telling me how she really knows where Im coming from..and she was like, "I don't normally talk this long, I don't want to overstep my boundaries..but I really have been where you've been..and I understand." She had a case of random cystic acne in her 20s and it was her birth control pill..so she was like, Please try a different one, 3 months seems like a long time but it's not...etc.

So, anyway- I realized my skin is not as bad as I think it is. I have a couple cysts at a time..Nothing as bad as the accutane brochures..not even remotely close. A few months ago, it WAS, honestly bad. My mom told me last night that a few months ago, she saw me without make up and "felt really bad for me" ...I was like "thanks?" So, I have made a huge improvement.. My face was literally covered in red marks from the retin-a micro breakout. Now, without makeup, I only have the active cysts..and a FEW red marks that are slowly fading. (A few months ago, I had so many red marks it looked like a rash, even under make up) I examined my skin last night, and I have to admit, I overreact. But, I'm still not used to this feeling... I never used to break out, so this is like agony to me. (especially when it first started, at one point I think I had 17 active spots.. that was insane for me.) But, whatever.. ya know- I'm going to try to be positive, ignore it..and hope for the best. If eventually I am offered accutane, and I feel my acne is bad enough, I will take it. Until then.. I am going to try to be better about it.

Old 06-07-2005, 06:32 PM   #180
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

Juici- So glad to hear this all from you, it sounds like you are really on your way. I continue to be mostly clear, which is odd because I totally was expecting another massive breakout from the 80mg a day dose. I have had within the last month or so only a few minor pimples that quickly turned into whiteheads, and where gone within two days of popping up. So I can't complain about that at all so early into my treatment. No cyst whatsoever! I am still fighting chapped lips but that is is, my face isn't overly dry or peeling at all.

Closed Thread