It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Stabbing pain under rib on the left side - pain in left arm - could this be gerd???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2005, 06:49 AM   #1
    chammy
    (female)

chammy HB User
    Smile Stabbing pain under rib on the left side - pain in left arm - could this be gerd???

Hi, i am new to this but i am so glad I have found this board
    For the past week or so I have been experiencing strange feelings underneath my left breast almost like a bunged up feeling??
    Then I started to get a slight pain down my left arm and in my fingers.
    This has made me extremely worried about my heart as i have experienced palpitations in the past - i still get them but not half as much.
    The other day something happened which really scared me - I got out of the bath and bent over to reach for the towel and when i stood up i got a stabbing pain under my bottom rib just to the left side.
    I pushed on the pain and it got worse and even went through to my lower middle back.
    I took a couple of pain killers and it seemed to subside but i could still feel an odd sensation.
    Do you think this could be gerd?
    I will greatly appreciate any replies
    Thanks
    Cham xx

Last edited by chammy; 06-04-2005 at 06:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2005, 07:51 AM   #2
    mike-2005
    (male)

mike-2005 HB User
    Re: Stabbing pain under rib on the left side - pain in left arm - could this be gerd???

Hey

I think the first think you should do is go to your doctor's office and have your heart checked for sure. If the heart is ok, then you can relax and do the necessary tests to find out if you have GERD. But first things first, heart comes first. GERD won't kill you right away, but a heart attack could.
    So please get it checked out. Take care.

Old 06-04-2005, 08:35 AM   #3
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
    Re: Stabbing pain under rib on the left side - pain in left arm - could this be gerd???

I agree, get it checked out by a Dr. and start be eliminating the heart as the problem. GERD can effect people in multiple ways, but I am not familair with a stabbing pain in the ribs that gets worse as your push on it as being GERD related. Maybe you pulled something when you bent down - who knows. See your doc first and quickly. Good Luck and Take Care

Old 06-06-2005, 04:22 PM   #4
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Sounds like it could be that "Costochondritis". I had that last year, and it was so painful, mine too started with the same pain under my left breast. It's an inflammation of the ribs, or the muscle between the ribs, something like that. They treat it with anti inflammatories. I took 800 mg Motrin. Mine lasted for months, and was very painful at times. Do a search on it. I think I've seen it here on the Fibromyalgia boards too. Hope you feel better soon..
    Deda

Closed Thread