It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• MD prescribed Seroquel but I am not schizophrenic?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2003, 12:25 PM   #16
    saxgirl

saxgirl HB User
    Re: MD prescribed Seroquel but I am not schizophrenic?

Alan, may I ask why you're on seroquel & topamax? How exactly was risperdal different from seroquel? I'm on topamax for migraines. I assume the risperdal is because I'm too sensitive certain noises, light touch, lights, patterns, etc. and I hear unintelligible voices sometimes. It works ok, but I've gained weight on it & I wonder if seroquel might be better???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2004, 12:19 AM   #17
    musclechic
    (female)

musclechic HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HealthNut1
    I was put on 100 mgs of Seroquel for what one doctor calls my "manic depression." She made this diagnoses in all of 5 minutes. She put me on this drug plus a mood stabilizer and Wellbutrin.
    What I was actually suffering from was depression and anxiety, I don't think an anti-psychotic is needed. What a joke. The seroqel only makes me tired and run down all the time.
    I also had very vivid dreams that were very detailed and went on forever.
    The only benefit this drug seems to have is that it puts me to sleep, which I did need at first, but now I'm okay.
    I am going off of it because I feel tired all day after taking just 25 mgs at night.

Old 11-25-2004, 12:31 AM   #18
    musclechic
    (female)

musclechic HB User

This is my first post. I believe that my 30 yr old son is a manic depressant. His father was diagnosed as that, and I see the same syptoms in my son. We've seen a phycologist twice and have to see her 1 more time before he can see a doctor because we are going to the county health dept. I am hoping to find out the best working drugs for this, though the help of this forum. Reading the posts has helped me alot. Any advice that you can offer will be appreciated .Thanks

Old 06-24-2005, 10:27 AM   #19
    Enigma420
    (female)

Enigma420 HB User

whats up.. same here. 24 years old, borderline, panic attacks, depression, bla bla.. screwed up. right now i am on 150 zoloft and 25 mg seroquel. it took me a month along with pressure from my best friend, boyfriend, and parents before i let that 25 mg go down my throat at night. all i could think was oh great now im what bipolar and schizo too on top of all my other issues. but well i did things my way for a long time, thinking i knew better and surprisingly enough in this small doasge, seroquel has helped immediately. i feel more even mooded throughout the day. it is still a constant rollercoaster and i highly doubt this medicine will be beneficial for everyone but try it, afterall when things get to a certain point, it cant get worse and anything is worth a try if the possibility is an end to your suffering. give it a fair chance just like anything professionals suggest to you, because maybe just maybe you might be wrong and they might be right. maybe you will get lucky and find one of the few therapists that are helpful.. think of what you do have in life as opposed to whats wrong, this has helped me. i think of people with deformaties and people who grew up without parents and other things that i should feel thankful for. somewhere there is a bright side and there are good things about all of you. search for them, and try to find yourself, and look out for YOU, cause YOU and only YOU can solve your problems and search hard for those rare professionals that can help you with the processes and help you to help yourself. sorry for the run ons. thankyou all for making me feel less alone, appreciation to you.

me

Old 06-28-2005, 10:54 AM   #20
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Seroquel is used for bipolar disorder as one of the antipsychotic medications primarily prescribed for those who don't respond to lithium. You probably have some form of bipolar disorder or just depression with psychotic features. Keep taking it and ask your doctor to make sure you've got the right diagnosis.
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 07-03-2005, 05:56 PM   #21
    hankszabo

hankszabo HB User

elizabeth: i heard that seroquel can cause these extremely uncomfortable dreams that you described. i've never taken it, but do take geodon, which i think is similar. i have weird dreams too, not too bad though. have you seen a psychiatrist, rather than an md? just a thought.

hope you have a nice holiday!
    joe

Old 07-04-2005, 06:01 PM   #22
    bbybyrd
    Veteran
    (female)

bbybyrd HB User

Oh my, I don't see how you guys are doing it. I'm on 400 mg of seroquel and I still have problems with paranoia and still can't sleep. I have a friend that's on 800 mg and he can't sleep either. It's like it'll work for a couple of weeks, then after that my body must get used to it or something because it doesn't work anymore...strange. And I've never had any vivid dreams while I was taking it either. Maybe I'm just strange or it's the kentucky air or something.

Old 07-17-2005, 08:40 PM   #23
    pleasantville
    (female)

pleasantville HB User

my dr. recently put me on seroquel for sleep for i have built up such a tolerance to ativan that he did not want to increase my dose. when i looked it up, it scared me to death. 50mgs makes me fall asleep in about an hour but i wake up every 2 hrs. i do not want to increase this med as i am also diabetic and there are warnings. i find it is terribly constipating too. anyone experience this?

Old 07-29-2005, 05:39 PM   #24
    Nancy005
    (female)

Nancy005 HB User

I wanted to say that I was put on seroquel also for my anxiety, ocd, and depression. I stopped taking it though when I found out I was pregnant!

Old 08-07-2005, 04:56 AM   #25
    Guru385
    (male)

Guru385 HB User

Similar is my case.

I have recently been diagnosed with Schizophrenia. She says I am in the early stages and have the negative symptoms. But she also wonders I am delusional. I do not hallucinate. I don't think I "hear voices." This is a shock to me, as I have been wondering all along if I had just social anxiety and Asperger syndrome. But Schizophrenia?

But I do seem to have the Alogia and that part of Schizophrenia. I often have to mentally pause during conversation in order to formulate responses to questions during job interviews or psychiatric sessions. Slow verbal response time. Slow thinker. My mind freezes, and then starts back up again. Freezes, then starts back up again. Almost like binary code or something. Ones and zeros.

Anyhow, they tried Abilify with me. My main problem is occupational as I don't know how to make a living. I am currently working minimum wage at Burger King. But after trying Abilify a couple times, I developed bad, dystonic reactions. I had to be taken to the hospital and injected with Benadyrl (which worked). So had to stop Abilify becasue of my allergic reaction. My therapist said that rarely or isn't supposed to happen. She mentioned that Abilify is a newer one that is suppposed to have less side effects than some others. But not my case. I got serious Dystonia.

I have been taking Zoloft for a few months for anxiety and depression. Now, they seem to recommend Seroquel, combined with Zoloft for a "synergistic" effect, he said. But he said I do not have Schizophrenia, nor Bi-polar. He says I just have severe anxiety or something like that. So maybe they misdiagnosed me with Schizophrenia? Or do they still think I have schizophrenia, which is why they recommend Seroquel? I do believe that mental health professionals often don't divulge certain psychiatric conditions because a patient may get worse knowing he/she now has such and such a "mental illness". I mean, if I just have severe anxiety, why give me anti-psychotics? Why diagnose me with Schizophrenia in the first place, which she did.

I think Seroquel, like many meds, can have other effects other than primary. But not often. I think if you're subscribed something like Seroquel, you must have some sort of psychiatric condition to some serious degree, like Schizoiphrenia or Bi-polar. It's almost like you have to. They can't just prescribe you anti-psych meds if you do not need them, because, of serious side effects (maybe life threatening). But that's just what I think. So I think if they say you take Seroquel for something like anxiety, I think they're just saying that to make you think all you have is anxiety. But really you have schizophrenia or bi-polar. But they just don't want to formally tell you you have schizophrenia or bi-polar because it is such a severe "label" to receive as opposed to just being told you have "anxiety".

But these are just some of my thoughts.

Bottom line: if you're prescribed seroquel by a mental health professional, I think you must have something like Schizophrenia or Bi-polar.

Josh

Old 08-07-2005, 09:09 PM   #26
    curiouslearner
    (male)

curiouslearner HB User

That's an interesting idea, Guru. I don't think you're right, though. If a person has a serious problem like schizophrenia, then the doctor is obliged to inform them in order for the patient to get the understanding he/she deserves as well as the adequate treatment. If doctors really act as you suggest, I think they're being unethical.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:19 PM   #27
    bbybyrd
    Veteran
    (female)

bbybyrd HB User

If you feel that you doctor is prescribing you medication for a psychotic disorder but not telling you that you've been diagnosed with that then you need to get a copy of your medical records. I got a copy of my records with my last therapist just to make sure we were on the same page. Luckily for me, we were and everything he told me was in my file. Also, can't you sue your doctor if something was to happen to you because they didn't tell you you were diagnosed with something? I mean, that's dangerous.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:47 PM   #28
    emogrip
    (female)

emogrip HB User

Hello everyone. This is the first time I have ever posted here. My psychiatrist prescribed Seroquel 25 for me to control anxiety. She started me off at 25 mg twice a day and then 50 mg at bedtime. At bedtime it works great, It helps me fall asleep but in the morning, all the way up until about noonI feel so tired and sluggish. It's difficult to do my work as I just want to sleep. During the day 25 mg do nothing so we started me on 1.5 of the 25 mg tablets twice daily but they do nothing. But 2 - 25 mg tablets will make me fall asleep...and I need to be able to function during the day. Does anyone have any suggestions??...as they would be most appreciated.

-Rachel.

Old 08-16-2005, 01:49 PM   #29
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

My therapist says that he's thinking about putting me on an atypical anti-psychotic like Seroquel for my OCD and severe anxiety in addition to my Zoloft, but I don't understand why. Why would an anti-psychotic work on anxiety? emogrip- how does it make you feel better? I'm really scared about taking a medication that's usually prescribed for more severe disorders like bipolar disorder and schizophrenia if I really don't need to...
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 08-16-2005 at 01:50 PM.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:42 AM   #30
    emogrip
    (female)

emogrip HB User

It helps me because it makes me feel relaxed and I find rest easy after taking it. So...it works great for my insomnia but really does nothing for my anxiety during the day (My psychiatrist says that I too have a severe case of anxiety). She had first tried Ativan but it did nothing. Gatsby, maybe Seroquel will work for you. I am also not schizophrenic nor am I bipolar, but still I am giving the medication a chance in hopes that it might work. I know you're skeptical about taking it...as I was. But when taken in small doses, doctors can prescribe it for off label conditions such as anxiety.

-Rachel.

Closed Thread