It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• not addisons, but adrenal fatigue

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
    irys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irys HB User
    not addisons, but adrenal fatigue

I was "diagnosed" with adrenal fatigue yesterday... my doc put me on 2 different supplements (I don't have the bottle here at work with me).. one was an adrenal function supplement, the other was a combination of b vitamins.. I wanna say b6, and another...

but I was wondering what everyone else took to help with the adrenal fatigue? How do you guys cope? I also have a thyroid problem and am on meds for that, so my situation is a teensy bit more complicated than just adrenal..

Thoughts? opinions? stories?

I'm so tired today...

Last edited by irys; 04-21-2005 at 09:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2005, 09:25 AM   #2
    Razzy_Berry
    (female)

Razzy_Berry HB User
    Re: not addisons, but adrenal fatigue

hi irys, i would be interested in knowing what supplements you are taking for adrenal fatigue if you can offer that.

raz

Old 04-21-2005, 09:27 AM   #3
    irys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irys HB User

Absolutley - I'll check the bottles when I get home today..

Old 04-21-2005, 09:49 AM   #4
    irys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irys HB User

I was able to find them online --

One is:
    "Cortico-B5B6®
    Take 1 - 2x day

Nutritional Support for Adrenal Hormone Production

Brand: Metagenics

Cortico-B5B6 supplies significant amounts of pantothenic acid and pyridoxine—water-soluble B vitamins that are important for many physiological functions.

Supports healthy adrenal hormone production and regulation.
    Supports the body’s production of energy by supplying pantothenic acid, a precursor to coenzyme A.
    Delivers a full spectrum of bioflavonoids that have potent antioxidant properties and support healthy capillary permeability.

Each Tablet Supplies:
    Pantothenic Acid (as D-calcium pantothenate) 500 mg
    Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 240 mg
    Citrus Bioflavonoid Complex 100 mg
    [standardized to 45% (45 mg) full spectrum bioflavonoids]
    Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride) 100 mg
    Magnesium (as magnesium oxide) 75 mg"

The other one is:
    Adreset®
    Take 1 - 2x day

"Stressed and Tired" Adrenal Support Formula

Brand: Metagenics

Adreset features standardized extracts of the adaptogenic herbs ginseng, rhodiola, and cordyceps targeting individuals who are "stressed and tired."

Aids the body in adapting to various stressful environmental challenges and thus helps to reduce the negative effects of stress.
    Promotes vitality, immunity, and overall well-being—key components of a comprehensive longevity program.
    Features adaptogens traditionally used to provide overall stress protection, increased energy, more restful sleep, and enhanced mental clarity and perception.
    Promotes balanced hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis function for enhanced ability to adapt to stress.

Each Capsule Supplies:
    Cordyceps Mycelium Extract (Paecilomyces hepiali†) 400 mg
    (containing cordycepic acid and adenosine)
    Asian Ginseng Root Extract (Panax ginseng) 200 mg
    [standardized to 8% (16 mg) ginsenosides]
    Rhodiola Root Extract (Rhodiola rosea) 50 mg
    [standardized to 1% (0.5 mg) salidroside]"

Old 04-21-2005, 09:53 AM   #5
    Razzy_Berry
    (female)

Razzy_Berry HB User

That helps because I have all the signs and symptoms of adrenal fatigue but Im not sure how to tackle it. What tests did you have done to diagnosis it. Were they the saliva tests?

raz

Old 04-21-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
    irys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irys HB User

no... they did am blood cortisol tests, and then a 2 hour cortisol test (I think. They did a lot of testing on me that day..)

Old 04-21-2005, 09:56 AM   #7
    ChristyE
    (female)

ChristyE HB User

Hi, Irys.

I am currently being treated for adrenal fatigue and low progesterone. I take Cortef and Levoxyl, and I also use progesterone cream. I have tried about every vitamin and herbal supplement known to man (!), including raw adrenal glandular and Isocort. I did have some good results with the glandulars (in fact I still take them every now and then when my hypoglycemia doesn't stay under control with the Cortef), but I am having much better results overall with the Cortef. I've been on the Cortef for about 3 weeks, and in many ways, I feel like my life is returning to me. My major symptoms with the adrenal fatigue are depression, anxiety, hypoglycemia and brain fog.

Last week, my symptoms seemed to be coming back, but when I added the progesterone cream, I bounced right back. I had tried the progesterone cream before with mixed results, but when I added it back in along with the Cortef, it seems to be working much better.

My last thing to tackle is the brain fog (concentration and memory problems), and that's where I think my thyroid meds need tweaking. I've been on thyroid meds for almost 6 years.

Sorry if this is too much info! Don't want to overwhelm you right at the beginning of your diagnosis! Just keep trying to find the answers. After 15 years of feeling like crap (pardon my French), I am finally glimpsing what it's like to feel human! It is worth it to keep fighting for good health.

Feel free to post anytime with questions. This is a great board with many knowledgeable and friendly people. They've helped me a lot.

Christy

Old 04-21-2005, 09:59 AM   #8
    irys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irys HB User

I'm hoping the supplements will help get this under control. My doc is holistic so she started me on natural stuff first. I guess if it doesn't help maybe I'll be switched to the meds...

I will keep trying to find answers.. this doc I have now is good (though INCREDIBLY expensive - a 15 minute appt cost me $100 bucks )

Thank you for your advice

Old 04-21-2005, 10:04 AM   #9
    ChristyE
    (female)

ChristyE HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irys
    I will keep trying to find answers.. this doc I have now is good (though INCREDIBLY expensive - a 15 minute appt cost me $100 bucks
    Holy moly! Boy, that makes you want to talk fast, huh? I know that's how the naturopathic doctors are, though, and it will be worth every penny you spend if you can get well.

Yes, I think you should try the supplements first. No need to go to the rx unless you have to, although sometimes I wish I could have gone straight to the Cortef!

Good luck with your treatment.

Christy

Last edited by ChristyE; 04-21-2005 at 10:06 AM.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:35 AM   #10
    irys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irys HB User

Thank you I do hope it helps - I want to get this all straightened out before I have kids (which I want to do in the next couple years..)

Old 04-23-2005, 08:28 AM   #11
    mark83087
    (male)

mark83087 HB User

good grief 100$ for 15 mins, i'm sorry but that is crazy, i know its worth it and all if u get better, but have u ever wondered if its 100$ for 15 mins i wonder if the doctors just keep u in there extra i mean they are human, wouldnt u want hundred more dollars for saying fancy stuff. just a thought. But irys i hope u do get better, i am diagnosed with addisons but currently seeing a doctor who thinks i dont have it, i hope i get my problems straightened out, im only 17 and my senior year is coming up, by the way i didnt catch your age, i assume ur in your 20's if you want to have kids

Old 04-23-2005, 02:26 PM   #12
    irys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irys HB User

100 bucks is a bit crazy - it's because she's not a participant with my insurance.. she is however the only doctor (I've been through a few) that hasn't laughed in my face and actually is trying to help me feel better.. 15 minutes is her shortest appointment, and we usually go right to the end - so at least we're not just sitting around for 10 minutes looking at eachother..

Good luck to you - I know how frustrating it is to feel miserable and not have anyone listen to you.

I'm 24 and thank you!

Old 07-05-2005, 12:46 PM   #13
    Fireplace
    (female)

Fireplace HB User

ChristyE

I feel like I have all the symptoms of adrenal fatigue along with the fact I have hashis/hypo but my cortisol levels are really high? Have you ever experienced that? The normal range for morning blood cortisol goes to 22 and I have gotten as high as 29. I have been really stressed but it won't go away with relaxation. I have lost 38 lbs since last November when I crashed since I have stomach problems and no appetite. 3 weeks ago I reduced my Levoxyl from .75 to .25 and now have worse stomach problems and insomnia... Help???

Old 07-09-2005, 06:54 PM   #14
    OraEtLabora
    Veteran
    (female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Fireplace,

I'm no expert, but I think you can have a high AM cortisol and still have adrenal fatigue. I have so many symptoms of it, and since I went for many, many, many years with undiagnosed (and therefore untreated) Hashi's, my doc suspected the Adrenal problem when I recently had 3 surgeries in 3 months, and just did not bounce back. He ordered the saliva test in conjunction with blood test for AM Cortisol. While my AM's were often low normal to abnormally low, (both blood and saliva), my 11AM was normal, my 4PM Cortisol was ABOVE NORMAL, and then, the 11PM would shoot down to below normal.

It certainly explained why I am always so fatigued in the morning, and evening, but I perk up around 4-7PM and feel like a real person instead of a beat up rag doll. So, I suppose it IS possible to have an abnormally high cortisol level in the AM, but still have it be below normal during other times of the day.

I take 10mg of Cortef in the AM, and just recently began adding another 10mg in the evening. It does help.

I have also had problems with adrenal fatigue symptoms being aggravated when I adjust my thyroid hormone dose, either up or down, so that might be what is going on with you, too. I would encourage you, if at all possible, to have the saliva test done, and check your levels 4 times a day - you may find that your high AM cortisol comes at the expense of the rest of the day.

Good luck,

Ora

Closed Thread