It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• ambien-how long can u take it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2005, 06:45 PM   #16
    Vanguard
    (male)

Vanguard HB User
    Time Bomb

Quote:
    Originally Posted by not-sleeping
    I'm looking to try some (7-10 days only, i promise) from one of these internet sources. I've seen different dosages. What is the "normal" dosage?

Don't be foolish about ordering from internet drug companies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 06:55 PM   #17
    dwp512
    (male)

dwp512 HB User
    Re: ambien-how long can u take it?

Not-sleeping,

I think the Ambien story's been pretty well told in this thread, but ordering drugs online is a BAD idea. Not only is it expensive, but likely illegal as well. You have no idea if the Dr prescribing them has a valid license or not...also, these online pharmacies are often not in the US, can ship you whatever they want (or not) and well you get the picture. They will also sink their talons into you and call/email you relentlessly for YEARS after your purchase. Online pharmacies are drug dealers...plain and simple...maybe they own stock in rehab facilities bacause they are responsible for a steady stream of addicts going through detox somewhere. Unfortunately, I know this from first hand experience. Go see a real Dr. and get a real prescription...

Old 06-27-2005, 07:03 PM   #18
    Vanguard
    (male)

Vanguard HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dwp512
    Not-sleeping,

I think the Ambien story's been pretty well told in this thread, but ordering drugs online is a BAD idea. Not only is it expensive, but likely illegal as well. You have no idea if the Dr prescribing them has a valid license or not...also, these online pharmacies are often not in the US, can ship you whatever they want (or not) and well you get the picture. They will also sink their talons into you and call/email you relentlessly for YEARS after your purchase. Online pharmacies are drug dealers...plain and simple...maybe they own stock in rehab facilities bacause they are responsible for a steady stream of addicts going through detox somewhere. Unfortunately, I know this from first hand experience. Go see a real Dr. and get a real prescription...

Totally agree. And assuming that these places are legal and staffed by real, ethical (?) physicians, you are still putting yourself in serious peril by just considering this action.

Old 07-05-2005, 07:07 PM   #19
    Karebear71
    (female)

Karebear71 HB User

Hi all -
    I am quite disappointed in my husband's Dr. and the FDA in general today. I thought I would share with you all my recent unsettling experience with Ambien. At a recent Dr. appointment, my husband & I informed his Dr. that he was not sleeping at night. He was refusing to even lay down. He is recovering from a broken back/neck so has been on Oxycontin as it is. The Dr. prescribed Ambien and said it should be a great help to him. He did not mention a word about any side effects-them being possibly habit forming, having abuse potential or producing blackouts. Last night my husband & I got into a fight, so I popped one of his Ambien thinking it would help me sleep w/o dwelling on things. My husband had not yet tried them, so I was completely ignorant about the pill's effects. The last thing I remember was sitting on the living room couch. This evening I received a call from my sister. She was laughing at me and asked if I remembered calling her at 12:30am that morning. Apparently I had gone on & on for an hour or more about my couches moving by themselves, my cat Skippy being blue (the color, not depressed), and how there were all of these people in my house with me. She was able to tape most of the conversation, thankfully, because I could not believe anything she was saying and could not remember even a second of any of it. Hearing myself talking like that while having no recollection of the episode at all was extremely horrifying. What if I had decided to go get something from the store in the middle of that? Driving would have surely been deadly to myself or others. How can it be legal to prescribe such a drug without CLEAR warnings of this common reaction? Someone please answer this for me, I am seriously considering throwing them all out & suing someone! Thanks...

Last edited by Karebear71; 07-05-2005 at 07:11 PM.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:11 AM   #20
    carrins1
    (female)

carrins1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karebear71
    How can it be legal to prescribe such a drug without CLEAR warnings of this common reaction? Someone please answer this for me, I am seriously considering throwing them all out & suing someone! Thanks...
    Hi there,
    I want to first say that the directions and literature on Ambien say (something like) in order to avoid memory problems take itwhen you are in bed, and able to have 7 hours of rest.

I have been taking 10mg/night for the past 10 months and have had no trouble. I take it as I am in bed. I have recently weaned off of it and again, have had no trouble. ...a few noghts where I had soe trouble falling asleep, but no big deal. I personally think Ambien is safe (I can get addicted to ANYTHING) and have had no desire to abuse this, or feel addicted. Good luck!

Old 07-10-2005, 05:02 PM   #21
    sk777
    Veteran
    (female)

sk777 HB User

I'm in day 3 of withdrawal after taking Ambien for about 4 weeks, nearly straight. It usually starts with my needing to get sleep for a few days (travel, etc) but then I get addicted and keep putting off the withdrawal. A lot of people say on the net that you can't get addicted to it. That may be true for some, but not all. I've gone through this once before and it took 2 days but this time, seems to be taking longer. Probably because I was taking 3 pills (x 10 mg) a night because of tolerance. I've been addicted to vicodin before, but now, for better or worse, it gives me a migraine, so I have no desire to take it.

As for doing things you don't remember, several weeks ago I made the mistake of staying up after taking ambien. When I woke up the next day I discovered I'd cut my feet up with a swiss army knife. I have a job where I'm on my feet all day so that wasn't fun.

Like many of you I buy this stuff on the internet like I used to do with vicodin. Everything rational in me knows this is stupid, not to mention really expensive. But I guess addiction is not exactly rational. I usually go online to buy when I'm addicted and running out.

Anyway, I wouldn't even recommend the 7-10 days. I get withdrawal symptoms that early even when I'm only taking 10 mg/night.

Last edited by sk777; 07-10-2005 at 05:03 PM.

Old 07-10-2005, 07:15 PM   #22
    crushme
    (female)

crushme HB User

Interesting...I don't know many people who have trouble sleeping for just 7-9 days. I only have trouble sleeping usually when I am with my bf...and when I sleep over his place it is usually after a party where I usually take 0.5 mg for anxiety instead of drinking. Not the smartest thing, but kills 2 birds with one stone, so to speak.

Old 07-10-2005, 07:48 PM   #23
    jwf222
    (male)

jwf222 HB User

BAD things can happen when you take ambien and stay awake. and you wont remember them. i dont mean a little bad, i mean you can do some things that can ruin your life! i wont ellaborate due to embarrasment, but if your gonna take them, do it in the bed and then go to sleep! you may or may not feel messed up when you take them and stay awake, but trust me YOU ARE! its like your mind is operating on its own, only using you to carry out its stupid ideas. i had a friend try to break a horse on ambien, a diffrent friend hit 3 mailboxes in one night on ambien, weve all made lots of stupid phone calls that should have never been made, and it only gets worse from there. dont take this drug to get messed up! if you seriously have sleeping problems and you feel like you can handle it, fine, but please, TAKE IT IN THE BED!!!

Closed Thread