It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Traveling with Forteo

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2005, 03:20 PM   #16
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User
    Re: Traveling with Forteo

I'd be interested to hear what you are told about using the pen after 28 days. I hadn't heard about the preservative being affected by opening the pen.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2005, 11:09 PM   #17
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I called Elli Lilly today - the customer service person said that the inactive ingredients added to the Forteo help keep the bacteria down and the Teriparatide alive. Using the medication past the recommended 28 days poses a risk to the patient of getting sick from an over growth of bacteria in the pen. The acqeous solution helps keep the microbiological growth down but looses it's strength in about 28 days. From what I can gather if you used it on day 29 or 30 assuming that you had extra left in the pen, you would probably be ok but saving up pens for use a month or more later may cause you to become ill from injecting bacteria laden medication under your skin. In my opinion, it's not worth the risk.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:42 PM   #18
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

Thanks for the information. It was just an idea, and, apparently, not a great one. Guess I won't be keeping old pens for daily trips. I agree that it's definitely not worth the risk. My husband and I are going away for a few days later this month. Both hotels we will be at said they will provide refrigerators in the room. Cool.

Old 07-10-2005, 12:03 PM   #19
    PatNJ
    Veteran
    (female)

PatNJ HB User

I was just reading through this thread, since it was bumped up due to your recent posts, taape and spinewhine.

Re the question earlier on in the thread about stowing the medication in carry-on vs. checked baggage: The Forteo instructions say to keep it in your carry-on bag, because the baggage compartments on planes are not always climate-controlled and may reach below-freezing temperatures. (I'm still so new to Forteo that I have been reading all the literature over and over again!)

Old 07-10-2005, 01:03 PM   #20
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I would want to keep it with me anyways as its irreplacable while on a trip away from home. When I travel with the pen I use a thermometer just to make sure the pen doesn't get too warm.

Old 07-10-2005, 03:24 PM   #21
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

I'd keep it with me cause it's too darned expensive to risk losing. Last plane trip we took, my husband's bag was opened. Had a note in it that it was searched. Heck, I didn't even leave the stuff at my seat when I took a train trip. I took the carry case with me to the bathroom.

Old 07-10-2005, 06:59 PM   #22
    PatNJ
    Veteran
    (female)

PatNJ HB User

Someone earlier in the thread suggested using a thermometer in the refrigerator, too. Mine has some "cold spots" that can freeze part of a package of meat, for instance, if it's pushed too far to the rear. I don't want that to happen to my extra pens. (I received a three-month supply in my first order.)

Old 07-10-2005, 07:19 PM   #23
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

PatNJ,
    I use a thermometer in my refirgerator all the time. I also use it when I travel because hotel refrigerators especially the dinky ones can freeze your food or the pen even when it's on a bottom shelf.

Old 07-11-2005, 10:00 AM   #24
    PatNJ
    Veteran
    (female)

PatNJ HB User

Good point, taape. Half the time, hotel mini-refrigerators will freeze cans of soda that we put on the door.

Old 07-24-2005, 08:23 PM   #25
    NYNJmom
    (female)

NYNJmom HB User

Has anyone tried Medicool's ProtectAll with the Blue Plastic Cooler insert?? On the Medicool website it is recommended for the Forteo Pen and supposedly keeps it cool for 8 hours. This product was originally produced for diabetic medicine, although the diabetics use a different insert because it doesn't have to be kept as cold as the Forteo. I'm heading on a trip and the plane travel time is 11hours plus 4 more hours for just getting too and from the airport. The airlines ticketing personel will not commit to whether or not we can use the refrigeration system. I'm thinking of keeping a second little cooler with a little dry ice, which would allow me to keep a second ProtectAll insert frozen. Again has anyone used this Medicool ProtectAll system?

Old 07-24-2005, 10:42 PM   #26
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I haven't used the product. I'm assuming that it's reusable. Is it similar to the blue ice that is used for recreational coolers? Those don't seem to stay frozen for an extended amount of time. I also called the airlines and they wouldn't commit to whether my pen could be refrigerated in their refrigerators so I'm just assuming that I better take my own ice chest. The ice blocks that come with the ice chest from the speciality pharmacy stay frozen along time like for 24 hours. You might want to ask a pharmacist if these are different kind that can be purchased retail. I am planning on carrying my cooler on the plane as a carry on because sometimes the baggage areas drop to below freezing temperatures. Maybe someone will come along who has used Medicools Protectall.

Old 07-31-2005, 11:49 AM   #27
    PatNJ
    Veteran
    (female)

PatNJ HB User

All right, ladies, I'm leaving on Tuesday (returning the following Monday) for a four-hour car trip to see my family for my ::gasps:: 50th birthday. I want to use the styrofoam chest that the pens came in. (I stupidly threw out the packing paper, but I saved the two Polar Packs, which I put in the freezer last night. I was thinking about using crumpled up plastic grocery bags in lieu of the paper.)

Any suggestions on what to do from there?

Thanks.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:47 PM   #28
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatNJ
    All right, ladies, I'm leaving on Tuesday (returning the following Monday) for a four-hour car trip to see my family for my ::gasps:: 50th birthday. I want to use the styrofoam chest that the pens came in. (I stupidly threw out the packing paper, but I saved the two Polar Packs, which I put in the freezer last night. I was thinking about using crumpled up plastic grocery bags in lieu of the paper.)

Any suggestions on what to do from there?

Thanks.

I don't get my Forteo in a syrofoam chest, just a cardboard box in which is an insulated thick plastic bag that has one or two polar packs in with the pen. I've kept all my polar packs but have thrown out the insulated plastic bag thingie. I bought a 12 can size insulated bag that has enough room for a few polar packs and the pen in the dorky travel kit. I travelled from NYC to Washington DC by train and then some and the polar packs stayed pretty frozen and the pen stayed nice and cold. I think it was good for at least 8 to 10 hours because the polar packs had barely started to defrost after about 6 hours. I also travelled to Lake George - about a five hour trip and everything was fine. The syrofoam chest should be just as good if not better than the insulated bag. You'll be fine.

Have a great birthday (and stop gasping). A lot of us are older than you are

Old 07-31-2005, 08:06 PM   #29
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, I would use a paper grocery bag to separate the ice packs from the pen box. That should work fine as long as the ice packs aren't directly on the pen box.

Have a great birthday and don't forget to come to us.

Old 08-01-2005, 01:24 PM   #30
    PatNJ
    Veteran
    (female)

PatNJ HB User

spinewhine,

For your information, I was not gasping gasping, but "gasping my last"!!!!

taape,

What do you think about my layering plan?

I'll put a bunch of crumpled-up plastic bags on the bottom of the styrofoam thing, then put one of the Polar Packs on top of that; then more crumpled-up bags, and my two (I'll be running out tomorrow night) boxes of pens; then more crumpled up bags; and the second Polar Pack.

Does that sound right? Or should I put both PP's on the bottom?

Yes, of course I'll come back to you all!!! Where else would I go??!!

Closed Thread