It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• extremely tired on ritalin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
    zer0hour
    (female)

zer0hour HB User
    extremely tired on ritalin

I was put on Ritalin 2 10mg in morning and one at night. it feels like i have lead weights tied to every inch of my body. I waitress and my add was always a joy on the job, i had so much energy and the day flew by. but now it is a grueling experience. has anyone switched to adderall due to this side effect? i have other side effect to.. it hits hard and leaves hard. and stomach aches, those i am not so conserned about though. why would an increase in dopamine make me tired?... zombie like...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2005, 10:44 PM   #2
    cblueskies
    (female)

cblueskies HB User
    Re: extremely tired on ritalin

I had a similar problem with feeling very drowsy after taking my ritalin. I had been taking them with no problems (but yes, it's not pleasant when it starts to wear off!), then I stopped taking it for about 6 months. I realized I needed to get back on them and only to find it was strangely making me very tired. I tried lowering my dose and then tried raising it all with the same results. I called my doc and he had no idea why that was happening. He told me to stop taking them but he didn't offer any alternatives and I haven't heard from him since...maybe he had ADD and forgot about me. If changing your dosage doesn't help, you'll have to change drugs. I'm afraid I can't answer any questions about adderall as I've never been on it. Good luck!

Old 07-15-2005, 05:35 AM   #3
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zer0hour
    I was put on Ritalin 2 10mg in morning and one at night. it feels like i have lead weights tied to every inch of my body. I waitress and my add was always a joy on the job, i had so much energy and the day flew by. but now it is a grueling experience. has anyone switched to adderall due to this side effect? i have other side effect to.. it hits hard and leaves hard. and stomach aches, those i am not so conserned about though. why would an increase in dopamine make me tired?... zombie like...
    zer0hour,

What facet of ADHD are you trying to resolve? Some features of ADHD can be used to our advantage. Sounds to me you are doing just that. I'll bet you're a terrific waitress. If your interested in resuming/continuing your education, the effects of the Rit can help you sit still long enough to study/listen. Only use it for study.

I have the typical ADHD problem of hyperfocus. Give me a challenging problem and I simply cannot get my mind off it until it is solved. Sounds good except it can come out in bad ways. For example, give me an easy problem and you can bet your last nickle I'll complicate it beyond all belief so I can motivate myself enough to do it. Just multiples the do time by 50x and drives everyone else nuts. I am learning how to channel hyperfocus constructively.

Bob

Old 07-15-2005, 06:46 AM   #4
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Zerohour, I'm with Bob. If you are a better waitress without medication, why take it?

If you need it for something else, I'd first try lowering your dose.

Old 07-16-2005, 01:05 PM   #5
    zer0hour
    (female)

zer0hour HB User

i'm planning on going back to school and that is why i went for the diagnosis. I cant concentrate enough to read, my focus is severly diminished and well there are other more home oriented problems.

Is there an add med that does not make you physically tired but helps with concentration. That was what i thouhght ritalin did, but today, i lowered my dose one 10 in the morning one at night and i still feel lethargic and i have to say it hasnt really helped all that much in the field of concentration and i have absolutely no motivation. My brain almost feels foggy like there is a disconnect somewhere, i read a book and the passage doesnt affect me there is no personal inflection on the writted words. The letters penetrate and then seem lost in a fog..... has anyone switched meds due to a similar reaction or are all stimulants and stimulant sims.. i.e. ritalin, alike.

Old 07-16-2005, 08:25 PM   #6
    mgrahamloveskid
    (female)

mgrahamloveskid HB User

To everyone I was watching true life on MTV and they had one with adderal and it is really addicting and some of the young people were really addicted to it and one girl started doing drugs bc she did not her adderal and its not good for you so I would recommend it too anyone got to the MTV web site and look for that show.

Old 07-16-2005, 11:12 PM   #7
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

I am made tired and fuzzy brained and hyperfocused by Ritalin, as well as by Adderall and coffee. With each, the first dose or 2 made me very agitated and somewhat focused, but then the other effects took over. I'm a tiny bit able to refrain from tangents, but not always.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cblueskies
    ...I called my doc and he had no idea why that was happening. He told me to stop taking them but he didn't offer any alternatives and I haven't heard from him since...maybe he had ADD and forgot about me. ...
    LOL. Mine is similar, except he does return calls, but falls asleep if I start to talk. Do you suppose that's supposed to be training me not to talk so much? --which I have just realized is probably the reason I wind up having surgeries and hair cuts that I wouldn't have had if I'd *just* paid attention to the other person.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addprogrammer
    zer0hour,
    I have the typical ADHD problem of hyperfocus. Give me a challenging problem and I simply cannot get my mind off it until it is solved. Sounds good except it can come out in bad ways. For example, give me an easy problem and you can bet your last nickle I'll complicate it beyond all belief so I can motivate myself enough to do it. Just multiples the do time by 50x and drives everyone else nuts. I am learning how to channel hyperfocus constructively....
    Yep, and is the reason my coworker got to redesign our website instead of me. I was only called in to do the complicated parts.

Sorry to digress so much. It's my [dysfunctional] way. Pick a conversation, jump in, take off.
    I do realize it's not all about me...sort of.

Old 07-17-2005, 08:49 AM   #8
    cblueskies
    (female)

cblueskies HB User
    Lightbulb Re: extremely tired on ritalin

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seriousperson
    I am made tired and fuzzy brained and hyperfocused by Ritalin, as well as by Adderall and coffee. With each, the first dose or 2 made me very agitated and somewhat focused, but then the other effects took over. I'm a tiny bit able to refrain from tangents, but not always.
    LOL. Mine is similar, except he does return calls, but falls asleep if I start to talk. Do you suppose that's supposed to be training me not to talk so much? --which I have just realized is probably the reason I wind up having surgeries and hair cuts that I wouldn't have had if I'd *just* paid attention to the other person.Yep, and is the reason my coworker got to redesign our website instead of me. I was only called in to do the complicated parts.

Sorry to digress so much. It's my [dysfunctional] way. Pick a conversation, jump in, take off.
    I do realize it's not all about me...sort of.

seriousperson, hmmmmmmmm...your doc falls asleep when your talking...sounds like ADD to me After my last appointment with my doctor, I realized when I was driving home that I had completely gone off on a tangent when he asked me a question and never gave him an answer (well actually, I gave him several ...just not one that answered his question). What can I say except that often the lights are on but nobody's home.

Last edited by cblueskies; 07-17-2005 at 09:00 AM.

Old 07-17-2005, 09:29 AM   #9
    kdolphin
    (female)

kdolphin HB User

excercise more like everyday and begin a bland diet no sugar or caffeine..
    walk daily for an hour or more dont eat sugar cereals or sugar pop ,drink water, you might find you dont need pills at all. your body is lacking something but i dont think its pills.

Old 07-17-2005, 11:13 AM   #10
    Dancergrl28
    (female)

Dancergrl28 HB User

Interesting...Ritalin makes me sleepy too. I thought it was just me! It didn't used to when I first started it-just recently. Anyone know why this is? Obviously there is a reason because so many people have mentioned that as a side affect. Why would ritalin help me sooo much at the begining, but do the opposite 9 months later?

Old 07-18-2005, 06:58 AM   #11
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm just guessing: Because such is the nature of addictive substances -- that the desirable effect is always going to be harder and harder to achieve, so that more and more of the substance is needed to even maintain previously unmedicated levels of "normalcy."

If I'm right, then the real questions are: Why are we taking stimulants and why are they being prescribed?

Old 07-18-2005, 08:35 AM   #12
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seriousperson
    I'm just guessing: Because such is the nature of addictive substances -- that the desirable effect is always going to be harder and harder to achieve, so that more and more of the substance is needed to even maintain previously unmedicated levels of "normalcy."

If I'm right, then the real questions are: Why are we taking stimulants and why are they being prescribed?
    Seriousperson,

I am very concerned about the addictive nature of ADHD meds. Years ago I abused meth and the doctors (plural) were concerned on two accounts: 1. Would Ritalin retrigger the addiction. 2. Had my body learned to efficiently eliminate that class of poison hence rendering it ineffective. After 5 months of use, neither appears to be true in my case. I can easily control the urge to take more when emotions rise. For example, I got mildly depressed yesterday, simply telling myself "it's a bogus response, don't worry about it" enabled me to continue working in spite of it and a few hours later it was gone. Concerning the tolerance to Ritalin, I quickly built a tolerance to its euphoric property. However, I am not tolerant to its ADHD control properties. It works as well now as the first time on the dose I need - 20mg. Actually I owe this to index.html (and to tell the truth I got more good advice from this board than the shrink/psychologists). The key is, to test its efficacy not on how I feel but on my ability to concentrate. An easy test for me is, can I create a task list and then follow through. I am able to do that on Ritalin even if I "got up on the wrong side of the bed" and do not particularly feel motivated or happy about anything. Let's face it, some days are just like that. Now if I judged its efficacy on how I felt, I would have been begging for more months ago. I believe that all of us need to learn how to judge the effectiveness of ADHD meds. ADHD is NOT an emotional disorder. It is a thought process disorder. An ADHD med must be judged on that basis.

Bob

Old 07-20-2005, 08:22 PM   #13
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addprogrammer
    ...An easy test for me is, can I create a task list and then follow through...
    Sadly, no, I cannot. And it seems that except briefly in the beginning, the Adderall and Ritalin just make it worse.

I don't think it is possible in my job to make lists and follow through, because my first priority is to serve the public, but I also always have heaps of non-public tasks waiting to be done, each seemingly clamoring to be first on a list.

I'm not sure if it's the meds or just new knowledge, but I can at least be aware of dysfunctional behavior when I'm doing it. Previously I was inwardly justifying any all moods and actions and speech.

Closed Thread