It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• 6 month after hip replacement question...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2005, 04:16 PM   #301
    silver515
    (female)

silver515 HB User
    Re: 6 month after hip replacement question...

HI Hippie friends. Balleteach thanks for asking about me. We are leaving on Sat and there is so much to do. Started packing but keep changing my mind. Asked the dr today if there is anything I should know and all he said was make sure you have your card about the metal detector...told me to have fun, didn't seem concerned about anything at all. Funny I started this thread a long time ago about this vacation...and here it is...6 months after hip replacement. Will have lots to read when I come back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2005, 05:39 PM   #302
    balleteach
    (female)

balleteach HB User

Silver, I'm glad you had time to post before your trip. I think the worst part of traveling is the preparation. Once you are on your way, you can relax. I've flown a few times since my THR and I've never had the metal detector go off. I also have a card in my wallet. Maybe the metal detectors are more sensitive after 911. Anyway, have a wonderful, safe trip and we'll be here when you get back....balleteach

Old 07-14-2005, 05:03 AM   #303
    MrsLinda
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLinda HB User

Morning everyone ~ Boy time sure flies. Seems like yesterday I found this thread and now look. 6 months have gone by.

Silver - I hope you have a wonderful time. Remember to bring any medication that you even think you'll need. I look forward to reading all about the trip when you get home! Be safe and have a great time.

Balleteach - have a wonderful time at Yosemite next week. That's such a beautiful park.

Well hippy friends...I have some good news. I probably haven't mentioned that I was job hunting. I'm still "employed" if you want to call it that. It's a part time job; 4 days a week, 6 hours. But I don't get paid if I don't work. I took the summer off to be with the family and look for a new job. Anyway I've been job hunting now and it looks like something may be coming my way. It's too long to go into now, but I have an interview with the HR Manager and we'll take it from there. The job I applied for had to go "public" this week for 3 weeks. There was a reorganization over the weekend and some changes were made. But the HR person definately wants to sit with me and see if she has something else or see if she can "slide" me into the position I really want. Keep your fingers crossed.

Hip wise I'm not feeling too bad. I haven't had to take ANY sort of anti-inflamatory/pain med in over 3 weeks now. Not even 1 Advill. So that's good. I'm really working this hip flexor muscle and hip2it has been REALLY helpfull in suggesting exercises. The "other hip" is so so. I have to be careful when I get up from a sitting position with that one; it "catches" and I have to start walking very slowly. But once I get going I'm fine.
    Well that's about it for now. I hope everyone is doing well and without pain. Talk to you all soon!!!

Old 07-16-2005, 06:27 AM   #304
    balleteach
    (female)

balleteach HB User

Hi to all my hippie friends. Well we are getting ready to go to Yosemite. The few days before leaving on a trip are always the most hectic. When I'm finally in the car and on the way, what a relief!! Luckily, we have great neighbors to look after the house and cats. Silver is probably on her way by now. I bet she'll have some fun stories to relate to us when she gets back. I'll check in before I leave, but probably won't post till next weekend. Have a great week....balleteach

Old 07-19-2005, 04:30 AM   #305
    MrsLinda
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLinda HB User

Morning everyone ~ just checking in! Well Silver and Balleteach are away. I hope both are haveing a great time. Silver has been looking forward to this trip for so long now and it's finally here.

We've had alot of humidity here in the Northeast and my hip has been on the achy side and I've had to take Advil. Other than that I'm ok. I've been doing all sorts of stretching exercises trying to "loosen" up this flexor muscle. So far it's about the same however I seem to be able to "lift it up" a little easier. For example when I'm out of the shower drying, I can lift the leg up onto the side of the tub a little easier. So that's good!

Well it's another hot and humid one today and I have tons of stuff to do INSIDE. Have a great day everyone and hope you all are doing well!!

Last edited by MrsLinda; 07-19-2005 at 04:33 AM.

Old 07-19-2005, 11:00 AM   #306
    FadedSun
    (female)

FadedSun HB User

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I just happen to come across it today and I am thrilled to have found it. I am a 29 yr old female that was diagnosed with congenital hip dysplaisa a few years ago in both of my hips. They advised me that I would eventually have to have a THR in both of them, but that I should wait as long as possible before I had it done. I don't think I can wait much longer. In the past 2 months or so I have been experiencing extreme pain in my right hip. (No noticible problems in my left hip at this time). I can't walk for more than 5 minutes before I need assistance by leaning on someone because it is so stiff and painful. I have a constant sharp pain down my right leg through out my day sitting at my desk at work and it's so uncomfortable. I'm thinking this is due to my sciatic nerve being pinched. I don't really know what to do. I don't know if I should continue to wait, or should I look into having a THR now. I am very limited as to what I can do now. I can't go anywhere that requires any amount of walking. It is very difficult both physically and mentally. I am curious to know what everyone else's pain was like before they had the replacement. Does anyone have any opinions or advise. Thank you so much!

Old 07-19-2005, 05:54 PM   #307
    2young2Bhippy
    Inactive
    (male)

2young2Bhippy HB User

Hi Hippies! And welcome, FadedSun! Nice to have another 'victim' younger than I am (I'm 37), and I'm so sorry you're having such pain. I feel for you!!! I think most everyone here will agree that if you're in terrible pain, DON'T PUT IT OFF! Find great surgeons in your area and meet with several if you can, then make your decision ASAP and set a date for your THR. If your left hip is fine right now, you may be able to get away with just doing your right one first.

But the most important advice I can lend is to look into getting a CORTISONE SHOT! I had one three weeks ago and it will probably hold me over for 4 months until my November surgery. Cortisone is truly a wonder drug, at least it was for me and several other people here who've had to buy some time. And the injection doesn't even hurt because they make a 'cocktail' of cortisone along with fast-acting lydecaine (I think that's what it was), which deadens the injection site as the needle goes in. Brilliant. A month ago I could barely walk at all without horrible pain (left hip), my left leg was hanging about 1/2" lower than my right and I had an awful limp. Now I'm (temporarily) pain free and have no noticable limp!

So my big news is, I have finally chosen a surgeon (after meeting 4 of them) and the type of parts I'll use: metal on METAL! Surprise, surprise. It turns out all three options (metal/metal, metal/plastic & ceramic/ceramic) have their own drawbacks, but for me I chose metal on metal because of my age and it's longevity/durability, as well as the ability to implant a larger head for greater movement. The drawback is that it increases metal ions in the blood (especially for the first two years, then tapers off a bit), but in over 20 years of use no studies or cases have shown any connection to risks of cancer or any other diseases. And I discovered that almost all of the doctors I asked "What parts would you use on yourself?" chose metal on metal. (I just couldn't get past the fact that the ceramics have a TINY chance of breaking, which would be a disaster! It's only a 1 in 25,000 chance... but I'd always worry about falling while skiing, etc.)

So that's my story... hip replacement scheduled for the first week of November!
    Hope everyone is doing well... Greg

Old 07-19-2005, 11:10 PM   #308
    legallyblondied
    Veteran
    (female)

legallyblondied HB User

Hi to Greg and Faded Sun. Like both of you, I have not had THR yet or a
    hip resurfacing as yet and am in constant pain. I have danced all of my life
    and I have bone on bone osteoarthritis of my right hip. I am 60 years old and
    have never had surgery of any kind. I have a surgeon lined up for a THR but
    and interested in the hip resurfacing which the FDA should approve of in
    September Like you said Greg. I am looking for a large ball and socket and I
    want Metal on Metal since it does not wear out and you can do more things
    without having to be worried about restrictions. Hip resurfacing for me is
    better since they do not cut the femur but resurface and cap it with a metal
    ball and s pin that goes into the femur. There is less chance of dislocation
    with this new procedure. Greg you mentioned Cortisone shot for relief of pain. What helped me the most is acpuncture, I have had 35 treatments and I
    go once a week and It is remarkable what it has done for the pain and the
    stress that my entire body is caring because of the pain from the hip. Please
    let me know,Greg, how you are doing and how your surgery went. I live in
    Los Angeles also and am curious to know which doc you chose...to Faded Sun
    from my dance experience, sciatica pain starts in the buttock area and crosses the but and runs down the side of the leg across the ankle...sounds
    like you are having what the doctor told me was referred pain from your hip.
    That usually runs dowon the front of the thigh and into the groin area... I
    hope you will feel better soon....Mrs Linda I guess it is hot in New York but
    right now but Los Angeles is miserably hot right now...hope your stretching is
    coming along ....you seem to have the best attitude ever...Good night Karen

Old 07-20-2005, 04:24 AM   #309
    MrsLinda
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLinda HB User

Good Morning My Hippie Friends! Hope eveyone is doing well.

Faded Sun ~ Welcome! It's always nice to meet someone new. I definately would not wait if you're in that much pain. Or...like Greg and Karen said, find a "temporary" solution to the pain until you can make arrangements for that hip replacement. I'm 55 and walked around for years with pain in the thigh and groin. I thought I pulled a muscle! It was the hip. I had my THR last August and it's nice to be pain free; in that hip! The other is going. But it's no where as bad as the left was. That one can wait.
    But don't suffer if you don't have too.

Greg ~ Congratulations on finding your Surgeon! So you still say that cortisone shot is working? That's wonderful!! The next time I see my doctor I'm going to ask him if he "mixes that cocktail" with his shots. If he says "yes" then maybe, just maybe I'd consider one for the right hip if I need it. I'm such a baby.....

legallyblonded ~ nice to see you again! YES it's hot here in New York!!! We're suppose to get some relief by the weekend. But I'll believe it when I see it! Yes my attitude is good. It has to be...I'm still having some difficulties with the stepping up and over. But, if this is how it's to be, then that's it. I'm still doing my exercises and this week with all the humidity, I've had to go back onto my drugs. I was so proud of the fact that I didn't have to take anything for pain or stiffness that I almost didn't take them . But I've been very stiff and achy; both hips. So, why suffer? But the pain is DEFINATELY not like the pain I had prior to the surgery!

Well time to get going here. I hope everyone has a nice day and a cool one!

Linda

Last edited by MrsLinda; 07-20-2005 at 04:27 AM.

Old 07-20-2005, 09:56 AM   #310
    FadedSun
    (female)

FadedSun HB User

Thanks for all of the responses. I really appreciate it. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on pain medication. I have been taking Ultracet, but it just doesn't seem to help that much at all. I noticed Mrs. Linda, you mentioned something about having to go back to your meds for the pain and stiffness. May I ask what you take? I was also considering a muscel relaxer to possibly help with the sciatic discomfort. I don't know if that would help or not, but the pain medication isn't do much good.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:41 AM   #311
    MrsLinda
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLinda HB User

FadedSun - well I use to take Bextra and we all know what happened to that. I had WONDERFUL results with that drug. Now, I take Mobic. I take 7.5 mg daily. If I really have a bad day I can take 2 in the morning. But so far the 1 helps. I find that this drug is faster acting than the Bextra was. I'll take the med's for about 5 days then I stop. Usually that's long enough for the inflamation to disappear.

Are you sure the pain you are suffering from is sciatic and not hip related? Sharp pain down the front of the thigh is typical of hip problems.

Linda

Last edited by MrsLinda; 07-20-2005 at 10:43 AM.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:33 AM   #312
    legtoolong
    (female)

legtoolong HB User

Hi Faded Sun
    When my hip was really bad and needing to be replaced, I found that the none of the medications did much good. The pain you describe is just like I experienced before my first THR. I thought it was referred pain from my back which also hurt, but it was my hip all along.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:36 PM   #313
    FadedSun
    (female)

FadedSun HB User

I'm not sure what it is honestly. I was just assuming it was sciatic because it goes all the way down my leg to a few inches above my foot and it starts in the hip area. But, I also have a differerent kind of pain in my hip which is the most painful, but it only really bothers me when I walk and I have to switch positions a lot while I am sitting for long periods of time. The "sciatic" pain is just so uncomfortable... it is basically with me all day long sitting or not.

Old 07-20-2005, 05:56 PM   #314
    MrsLinda
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLinda HB User

It just very well may be the sciatic nerve if it hurts even when you sit. I'm sorry to hear that. It's bad enough to have pain when you walk, but also when you sit??? That's a shame.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:34 PM   #315
    2young2Bhippy
    Inactive
    (male)

2young2Bhippy HB User

FadedSun - Ultracet is a pretty powerful drug, it always helped me when I absolutely needed it. I hope you find something else that works; you should definitely ask your doctor about alternate pain killers, cortisone and acupuncture.

legallyblondied - glad the acupuncture helps, I was planning on trying that myself until my 'miracle' cortisone shot. As far as L.A. doctors, I met with two names you'll hear often: Lawrence Dorr and Robert Klapper. Both are well respected, both only use metal/plastic. Dorr does a 3" mini-incision and Klapper does the longer incision. Dorr uses a computer to check leg length (which apparently isn't ALWAYS accurate) and Klapper will just tell you he "measures twice and cuts once" which doesn't mean much to me. Then I met with Herbert Huddleston in Encino. He has a great reputation (as good or better than the two more "famous" surgeons), is open to all materials (although suggested metal/metal for me), uses a mini-incision and explains his very clear, sensible method for restoring leg length accurately without computers. After I met him it was an easy decision.

And MrsLinda - for goodness sake, if you're in pain get that cortisone shot! Any minor pain (if any at all!) you'd experience for a few minutes from a needle would be NOTHING compared to how your hips feels now! Trust me, you'd be so glad you did.

Melting in this 101 degree L.A. heat... Greg

Closed Thread