It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

• please read. should i worry?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
    lalalalovely41
    (female)

lalalalovely41 HB User
    please read. should i worry?

hi. im sure you all hear stuff like this all the time. but i need some reassurance.
    my problems started out about a month and a half ago. i went to the ER with headaches, neck and back pain. i was also having horrible nausea, and i lost about 8 pounds. they did a CBC and a urine test. everything came out perfectly fine. i was sent home with pain killers. i went back about two days later with the same symptoms and they did a head CAT scan. and it was fine. they sent me home, and i went to a new doctor. i was diagnosed with a stomach virus. and that night i had horrible diarrhea and felt better for about a week.

then i had the same symptoms plus; tiredness, growing pain type pain, achiness, nausea, burping, stomach/abdomin pain, heartburn, dizziness, chest type pain. so i went to the doctor again [about 2-3 weeks ago], and i was given another CBC test plus a differential test. it was all normal. i was also given an adominal CAT scan and ultrasound. it was all normal. plus i had a hida scan for gallbladder problems. it was all normal. i came across symptoms for blood disorders and i seem to fit some of the symptoms. recently i have found a few red spots all on different areas of my body, and i fell about a week ago and i still have a nasty bruise. but as for bleeding or anything, that is all norma. i got my ears pierced and no blood. ha. i also recently started having joint pain in my wrists and ankles. i worry alot and recently my doc put me on anti anxiety medicine but it made me sicker so i stopped taking it. im sure nothing is wrong or its all in my head. but im just freaked out. i guess, can i have problems even though all those tests came back normal, should i get more done or something. i just feel sick and tired all the time and its ruining my life.

thanks in advanced and im sory if this all sounds dumb.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2005, 06:05 PM   #2
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
    Re: please read. should i worry?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lalalalovely41
    hi. im sure you all hear stuff like this all the time. but i need some reassurance.
    my problems started out about a month and a half ago. i went to the ER with headaches, neck and back pain. i was also having horrible nausea, and i lost about 8 pounds. they did a CBC and a urine test. everything came out perfectly fine. i was sent home with pain killers. i went back about two days later with the same symptoms and they did a head CAT scan. and it was fine. they sent me home, and i went to a new doctor. i was diagnosed with a stomach virus. and that night i had horrible diarrhea and felt better for about a week.

then i had the same symptoms plus; tiredness, growing pain type pain, achiness, nausea, burping, stomach/abdomin pain, heartburn, dizziness, chest type pain. so i went to the doctor again [about 2-3 weeks ago], and i was given another CBC test plus a differential test. it was all normal. i was also given an adominal CAT scan and ultrasound. it was all normal. plus i had a hida scan for gallbladder problems. it was all normal. i came across symptoms for blood disorders and i seem to fit some of the symptoms. recently i have found a few red spots all on different areas of my body, and i fell about a week ago and i still have a nasty bruise. but as for bleeding or anything, that is all norma. i got my ears pierced and no blood. ha. i also recently started having joint pain in my wrists and ankles. i worry alot and recently my doc put me on anti anxiety medicine but it made me sicker so i stopped taking it. im sure nothing is wrong or its all in my head. but im just freaked out. i guess, can i have problems even though all those tests came back normal, should i get more done or something. i just feel sick and tired all the time and its ruining my life.

thanks in advanced and im sory if this all sounds dumb.
    You might suggest a pandendoscopy for stomach ulcers. They will cause the problems you are talking about. Otherwise you might want to try the Fibromyalgia board as they describe some of what you are talking about.

Last edited by Merimac; 05-30-2005 at 06:08 PM.

Old 05-30-2005, 06:10 PM   #3
    lalalalovely41
    (female)

lalalalovely41 HB User

so.

i shouldnt be worrying about any type of blood disorder?

sorry, i just get scared easily

Old 05-30-2005, 10:17 PM   #4
    ryu1977
    (male)

ryu1977 HB User

If your CBC w/ diff is normal, almost impossible you have Leukemia or blood disorder. About petechiae (small spot in our skin) it is quite normal in some people as long as not become purpura (larger bleeding area). Some people has bruise on the foot when they are being tired.

Last edited by ryu1977; 05-30-2005 at 10:18 PM.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:25 AM   #5
    lalalalovely41
    (female)

lalalalovely41 HB User

okay.

so i have another doctors appointment on monday. im gonna ask for a CBC. even though the last one i had was about 3 weeks ago.

i found a few more of those red dots. but only about three of them are really visible. the other ones i was like...searching for. so. it might not be anything. and it might be. i have about under 10 of them. i seem to be discovering more. but again, im like looking for them, and they are soooo small.

i spent most of this morning crying, because i am so scared. and i wish i could tell myself that the blood tests dont lie, but i know sometimes problems can still arrive. but i feel as though my health is weakening and im getting so tired and im having horrible nausea still. and the past two months have been hell, im sick of being sick.

i understand ive been having horrible anxiety and stress lately, i dont know if that can be part of it. im sorry if im overreacting. i shouldnt be. im a christian and that i should put my trust in jesus christ. sigh. plus leukemia is not as feared as it used to be. you know, its almost 'common'. people survive it all the time.

i just needed to vent on here.

Old 06-02-2005, 04:46 PM   #6
    ryu1977
    (male)

ryu1977 HB User

To convince yourself, don't ask for CBC only but you should ask for CBC with differential once more and blood smear (seeing your blood sample under microscope).

Another thing you can ask for liver function test and kidney function test. Sometimes people with high urid acid or cholesterol could have chronic pain.

Wish you healthy

Old 06-02-2005, 06:13 PM   #7
    lalalalovely41
    (female)

lalalalovely41 HB User

a blood smear?
    what does that detect?

thanks for the advice.

my inner hypochondriac is here.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:54 PM   #8
    ryu1977
    (male)

ryu1977 HB User

With blood smear test, they can determine whether you have abnormal red blood cell, white blood cell, or platelets. Sometimes the number is normal but the morphology of the blood cell could be abnormal such as giant platelets. However, this kind of disorder is very rare, even rarer than leukemia.

good luck

Old 06-07-2005, 08:48 AM   #9
    Djlawman

Djlawman HB User

I think that petechiae from leukemia would manifest themselves as more than a couple spots on your body. When our son was diagnosed with leukemia in January of 2004, he had hundreds, if not thousands, of spots, primarily on his legs, which we had not seen because it was long pants weather. A couple of stray spots on your body are not petechiae from leumemia. Everyone has a few such spots (I know I do).

Old 06-28-2005, 06:23 PM   #10
    dixieagle
    (female)

dixieagle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lalalalovely41
    okay.

so i have another doctors appointment on monday. im gonna ask for a CBC. even though the last one i had was about 3 weeks ago.

i found a few more of those red dots. but only about three of them are really visible. the other ones i was like...searching for. so. it might not be anything. and it might be. i have about under 10 of them. i seem to be discovering more. but again, im like looking for them, and they are soooo small.
    You sound totally stressed out; I can empathize, as I used to be quite a worrier, and was terrified of leukemia when I was younger. The "red dots" are likely the type that can be found on just about anyone who is looking hard enough (I have a number of them and they are nothing.) With all the CBCs you've had, I truly wouldn't worry. Take a deep breath and relax.

Dixi

Old 07-24-2005, 07:14 PM   #11
    lalalalovely41
    (female)

lalalalovely41 HB User

me again.

im starting to freak out again. i have gotten a few unexplained bruises. like two since the last time i have posted. and they hurt real bad.

then. my joints and arms and legs have been aching so much. and i have been sick again with a cold.

but everything says that im perfectly fine. all the tests said so. so i feel stupid going back to the doctor.

ughhh. im getting so scared again.

im just crazy i guess

Old 07-25-2005, 07:24 AM   #12
    teachergirl64
    Veteran
    (female)

teachergirl64 HB User

If all your CBC's are coming back normal, then I would stop worrying about having leukemia. It was suggested that you check out the fibromyalgia board. I don't know if you did or not, but here are the symptoms of fibro:

PAIN
    The characteristic pain of Fibromyalgia is a diffuse achiness. It is poorly localized and is perceived to be in the muscles, joints, nerves, and bones. Patients complain that they hurt all over and feel as if they have the "flu". Common areas for pain are the neck, shoulders, hips and low back.

EXTREME FATIGUE
    The fatigue of Fibromyalgia is hard to describe to someone who has not experienced it. Again the analogy of the feeling of fatigue that accompanies a viral illness such as the "flu" can be used. Exhaustion following minimal activity is common. People with Fibromyalgia wake up tired and they get more tired during the day. Fatigue is exacerbated by even normal activity and by stress.

HEADACHE
    The headache of Fibromyalgia may range from a muscle tension headache that is 'just there' most of the day to debilitating migraine accompanied by nausea, vomiting, light sensitivity, and noise sensitivity.

IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME

BLADDER PROBLEMS

SLEEP DISTRUBANCE
    This can include trouble falling asleep, trouble staying asleep, early morning awakening, and non-restorative sleep (waking up unrefreshed).

INCREASED VESTIBULAR PROBLEMS
    Inner ear disturbance, dizziness, balance problems, and sensitivity to noise.

DRY EYES AND MOUTH

LIGHT SENSITIVITY

SENSITIVITY TO HOT AND/OR COLD

PARESTHESIA

MYOCLONUS/RESTLESS LEG

MORNING STIFFNESS

CHEST PAIN

SHORTNESS OF BREATH

SKIN CHANGES
    Dry skin, peeling, net-like changes, hair loss, painful peeling of skin on fingers, splitting fingernails, reddish rash across the nose and cheeks.

SORE THROAT, SWOLLEN GLANDS, LOW GRADE FEVER, AND NIGHT SWEATS

RAYNAUD'S SYNDROME

MITRAL VALVE PROLAPSE

BLURRED VISION

SUBJECTIVE TO SOFT TISSUE SWELLING

HYPOGLYCEMIA

ALLERGIES AND INCREASED SENSITIVITY TO DRUGS
    Most Fibromyalgia patients have reactions to medications in their usual does. Smaller doses of drugs are much better tolerated.

INTOLERANCE TO ALCOHOL

MUSCLES
    Weakness

COGNITIVE DYSFUNCTION
    Poor short term memory, poor concentration, trouble staying 'on task', word searching, irritability, depression, intellectual inefficiency (also described as 'brain fog'), anxiety, and panic attacks.

SYMPTOMS EXACERBATED BY STRESS
    The stress can be physical or emotional.

PAINFUL MENSTRUATION
    Also vaginal pain not associated with menses.

DECREASED INTEREST IN SEX
    Also patients seem less interested in 'cuddling' and being close to other people.

CUTANEOUS HYPEREMIA
    Reddened areas on the skin, especially at tender points.

THYROID DISEASE

NASAL STUFFINESS

SENSITIVITY TO CHEMICALS

IMMUNE SYSTEM DYSFUNCTION
    Some patients find themselves catching everything that comes along.

WEIGHT GAIN

Old 06-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #13
    mellyuk
    (female)

mellyuk HB User

I am also very worried.

I have red spots on my shoulders, arms, chest and hands. There are only one or two on hands, I think they look like broken vessels. The ones on my left shoulder appeared two years ago and now I have a few patches of them on arms and also the odd red spot above the skin,

I suffer from health anxiety and have had acid reflux/stomach ulcer symptoms for months, although the last 2 months have been really bad. The pain in my stomach and the ammount of gas coming out is unbeleivable. Yesterday I passed wind for 20 minutes none stop.

I have also suffered from piles this year, had two opperations on them which have failed and I am only 30 had no kids, exercise and eat a heathy veggie diet and have since I was 10.

The doctor has booked me in for blood tests, I don't know what tests, he asked me if I drank a lot of booze I told him none and I am so worried that I have something really bad.

I was never ill appart from the odd cold and a bad back until just over a year ago when I had a chest infection and the doctor suggested I had AIDS which I didn't and since then I have been ill with one thing and another.

The red spots you get with leukemia, do they cover large areas or develop in groups like the ones I have?

Thanks for any replys I am worried sick and can't get in for blood tests until nextweek, then I will have the long worrying wait.

THanks

Melly

Closed Thread