It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• going off paxil... support please!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2005, 10:22 AM   #16
    Jitterygal
    (female)

Jitterygal HB User
    Re: going off paxil... support please!

Go on the positive stories, Liz...it can be done--slowly, but successfully. I was on Zoloft 150 mg for 4 years and weaned off of it with no problems at all...stayed med-free for 5 years. Now, I too am on Paxil 20 mg and hoping to soon be weaning...let me know how you are doing---YOU GO GIRL Jitterygal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2005, 02:02 PM   #17
    jbbrocky
    Veteran
    (male)

jbbrocky HB User

how is the paxil treating you jittery? any side effects? i am on 10mg and doing very well with that with no side effects

jb

Old 08-02-2005, 04:59 PM   #18
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

Today is my 12th day on the 40 mg and I am doing well! I have more anxiety at night, which is to be expected since I switched from taking it from night to morning. I have also started Vitamin B and Omega 3... they have been helping as well. I have learned that it will take a while to go off of it, but I will go off of it. I feel like I am being very kind to my body right now.. ridding it of toxins and doing yoga. Oh yeah, and buying those 90 dollar jeans I know I shouldn't ... but still do LOL

I also have lost about 5 pounds since going on a lower dose... I'm not starving myself.. I'm just not eating like a vaccuum anymore! LOL

Old 08-02-2005, 05:53 PM   #19
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User

how great! I am so happy for you yaaay

Beth

Old 08-02-2005, 06:11 PM   #20
    gingerbread85
    Inactive

gingerbread85 HB User

I had a very hard time coming of Paxil. Although most doctors will tell you it is the best for anxiety (which it is), I started gaining weight also. I cant give you a good experience, but alot of withdrawals can me made 10 times worse if you think it is going to be bad. My doctor got to the point to tell me to take some days off work and take benadryl and sleep. I am on Zoloft now, and it seems to be working great. Dont feel bad if you have to get back on it. Many people will think they are better cause the meds is working, but in reality they find out there not (it happened to me), however my is herditary, yours was just because of a situation, so I am sure you will be fine. Good luck!

Old 08-03-2005, 08:40 AM   #21
    sunshine149
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine149 HB User

Today is Day 5 completely off Paxil. I've been weaning off for the past month or so. I was on it for 3 years and I also put on about 30 pounds! I decided I wanted to try going off when it seemed to me that Paxil was not helping anymore or rather, there's no need for it anymore. I'm not depressed anymore. I did notice for the past year that I took Paxil that my suicidal thoughts (orginally something like, "I wish I was dead.") Had started to get more detailed and graphic. This concerned me since there is some literature on these drugs that incidate an increase in suicidal ideation.

Also there was the weight gain. I am also a diabetic so I need to really watch my weight. I was beginning to feel like a serotonin junky! I wanna eat this, drink this, smoke this and feel good ALL THE TIME! Hence, the weight gain...

I have a friend who is an acupuncturist and another friend who is an herbalist so I have been utilizing their services to make the transition off Paxil smoother.

The things I've noticed are light-headedness, tiredness (but not truly fatigue) and a weird buzzing in my brain that last for about 1-2 seconds.

So, best wishes to all of us who are trying a life without these drugs. I do not judge either way. To each their own, I just hope it's the happiest situation imaginable!!!

Old 08-03-2005, 10:17 AM   #22
    NiceguyEddie
    (male)

NiceguyEddie HB User

Teth -

Did you find that your anxiety and/or depression got better over time post meds? When I quit taking Paxil, I was under the impression that eventually the brain will return to normal by itself and would take time to adjust to functioning without the med. So I decided to wait it out, but I just found that my problems were becoming chronic - getting worse over time. I think that you are right that when you are off the meds you have to take active steps to deal with your disorders, but I didn't really have the energy or resources to do this, so I just recently decided to try taking Lexapro to see if it will help. I'm on day 3 so far...but I don't feel all that different yet.

Old 08-06-2005, 06:21 PM   #23
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

sunshine: thank you so much for sharing your sucess with us! You're lucky to have friends that can help out! Luckily my cousin is a massuse (SP?) so it makes it a lot easier getting massages often! I really notice the difference when I don't take the b vitamins... I forgot yesterday and today I was a mess! I didn't realize how much they helped me.

I have noticed that I have the electrical jolts, as well as very vivid, lifelike dreams, also some stomach problems... but it's worth it to get off of it!

Old 08-07-2005, 07:45 AM   #24
    thill
    (female)

thill HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twizliz
    I have decided to wean off of Paxil. I went to the dr the other day, and told her how great I have been feeling, and wanted to try going off it. I have also gained 30 pounds since going on it (from 177 to 207) in one year. I feel that it's best for my health to go off of it now. I switched to taking it in the morning, and so far it seems to be helping. I went from 60 mg to 40. I have been taking the 40 for the past 3 days. I feel somewhat more anxious, but I am trying to refocus my attention, and when I feel I need it, taking a Xanax.

Has anyone else had success going off Paxil? And what was it like? Did you lose a lot of weight (the weight is not the sole reason I am going off it...like I said, I have been feeling better).
    Hi twizliz I haven't read all of this thread but I wanted to share my experience with you. When I was 25 (33 now) I went on paxil because I was having about 20 to 30 panic attacks a day suffered from every phobia known to man (I still have claustrophopia). Anyhow, I was 25 could not go outside because everytime I did I would panic, I lived in a cocoon . So after my umpteenth time running to emergency thinking I was dying a doctor suggested that I had a panic disorder. He hooked me up with a great doctor but I struggled with the idea of going on pills but at that time I could not function (not at all). So I decided to give the pills a try, they put me on Paxil...for 5 days I thought I was dying, my mom sat at the bedside and cried I felt awful till the fifth day I woke up and thought I had died...hahaha! I was so calm it felt unnatural. Well, paxil worked! I took it religiously for 1 year 1/2 and then decided that I didn't want to be on medication anymore and decided to come off of it...huge mistake!!! I went back to having panic attacks and almost had a another nervous breakdown. So I went back on Paxil and started to take better care of myself. Started yoga, meditation, eating properly, making sure I got enough sleep, I just did everything that would help me have a better transition when I was ready to stop taking Paxil. Another 1 year 1/2 I was ready to get off the meds and I had no after effects at all. I think that I prepared myself so well, learned about my body and it's stress' to have had a better result the second time round. I have been off Paxil for 5 years now and even though I still get anxiety during those "times of duress" I can mentally pull me through. I do at times take travl pills to travel though because I still have a form of claustrophobia, but I will be battleing that pretty darn soon.

Paxil was a godsend for me, but like everything else too much of a good thing can be bad..My advice, take your time, prepare yourself mentally and physically...try yoga it helped me immensly. Good Luck!! *hug*

Old 08-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #25
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Two words: BE CAREFUL!!

I recently weaned off Paxil, since it wasn't doing much for me anymore. I started taking Lexapro at the same time. Paxil withdrawal was HORRIBLE. It lasted over a month, and I was depressed, had headaches, flu symptoms, dizziness, and mild nausea. I lost tons of weight - TOO much weight. I had no appetite and no energy. Fortunately I was financially secure and had no regular job, no big responsibilities. I had a bit of a safety net. Once I dragged myself through that horrible ordeal I found out I had other health problems, too, that were exacerbated by the Paxil withdrawal.

This is not an uncommon side effect! They call it "Paxil flu". I've weaned off of Prozac, Zoloft and numerous other meds without that level of fallout. It's something specific to Paxil.

I definitely encourage you to get off of Paxil, but be sure you have a safety net, are being closely monitored by a good psychiatrist, and are living and eating healthy. Hopefully there is nothing traumatic going on in your life right now, such as a death, a breakup, a life change. Proceed with caution!!

Old 08-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #26
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User

I had a simular experiance to yours weaning off paxil.Samthing flu like symptoms,zaps in my head and body,very tired,ugh it was ruff.I was on a low dose too.The worst I think was I couldnt seem to do things on my own like go to the store .I had to have hub or a friend take me or go for me because I felt so bad.I also have taken zoloft and prozac and never had any withdrawls weaning from them either.I dont know what it is about Paxil i will say though it did help me alot when I needed it.I guess some people are not as bad when weaning off .....im sure glad it is over for me

Old 08-07-2005, 02:47 PM   #27
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

I'm fully prepared for the next few months to be hard, but I'm really focused on taking good care of myself, as well as going off the paxil. I just started a new job, and I love it (I'm the editor of a paper) and I feel a lot less anxious working there than when I worked at a bank (something I didn't enjoy doing). I have been taking dramamine because I have been experiencing some naesea ... nothing I can't deal with though.

Old 08-07-2005, 10:47 PM   #28
    Teth
    (male)

Teth HB User
    Lightbulb Re: going off paxil... support please!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NiceguyEddie
    Teth -

Did you find that your anxiety and/or depression got better over time post meds? When I quit taking Paxil, I was under the impression that eventually the brain will return to normal by itself and would take time to adjust to functioning without the med. So I decided to wait it out, but I just found that my problems were becoming chronic - getting worse over time. I think that you are right that when you are off the meds you have to take active steps to deal with your disorders, but I didn't really have the energy or resources to do this, so I just recently decided to try taking Lexapro to see if it will help. I'm on day 3 so far...but I don't feel all that different yet.
    Yes! I did notice anxiety / depression got better over time... it's not that they stopped from one day to another - they kinda 'diminished'. And one day I remembered I was no longer nervous or anxious, not one bit.
    Eddie, for life to change, you must change. I don't want to encourage anyone to leave the meds if they are not ready to do so.
    Yet you can start incorporating different things into your life (mix things up). You might want to start with walking and breathing exercises... eat properly, get enough sleep.. (check thill' s threat)

Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Serenity

Closed Thread