It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Amphetamine (adderall esp) to treat anxiety??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2005, 01:43 PM   #1
    Lineman

Lineman HB User
    Amphetamine (adderall esp) to treat anxiety??

Ok I know this sounds very odd. I was dxed with generalized anxiety disorder, frequent panic attacks and hypochondrisis over 3 years ago. Over the years my anxiety from my childhood grew and grew to the point 3 years ago I had to take care of it.

They started me on the regulars, buspar then moved to zoloft then to effexor then to paxil. Klonopins for as needed basis, which worked wonders too. It seemed that although my general anxiety lessened somewhat the side effects took place of the unpleasantness of anxiety. Had a hard time getting off paxil, but now I am thank god.

I talked with a friend online that told me to give adderall a shot, that he suffered from anxiety, the same kind I have and for him it was a miracle drug. I went to my doctor told her my symptoms and the symptoms of ADHD. She agreed to allow me to test run on adderall with klonopin as a backup and sleep at night.

Being on adderall now for 6 months 40-60mgs a day, all I can say is that when I am on the drug all my anxiety is gone. My stress and fear,(hypochondria mainly) is vanished. I feel more focused, more calm and direct rather than more anxious and figgity. At night, if I need it I take some klonpin to help me sleep. I dont take the adderall on the weekends to try and keep my tolerance down.

So far my one big complaint is when the adderall wears off in the evening I find myself becoming increasingly anxious and nervous for a couple of hours. That and the dry mouth and talkativness I seem to gain while on it.

So my question is could amphetamines help some people with GAD and hypochonsrisis? Or is my anxiety a side effect of ADHD? Or is it that my mind and body get a sense of well being, an almost high that makes me feel no anxiety?

I believe this medicine has changed my life for the better and couldnt see me not having it around.

What do you all think?

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-09-2005 at 02:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2005, 01:57 PM   #2
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
    Re: Amphetamine (adderall esp) to treat anxiety??

I have never heard of that as an anxiety treatment...that is interesting. Are there any negative long term effects? Are you supposed to only take it for a short while?

Old 08-09-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
    Lineman2
    (male)

Lineman2 HB User

I had to reregister since I forgot my password. The only long term effects is more of a dependance issue and tolerance. It is adictive and you can build a tolerance which means you have to take more to achive the wanted effects. Depression can be an issue as well from what I hear.

It would be interesting to see if there are anxiety driven people that have a more somatiformic type anxiety to test adderall to see if it helps them. I know it sounds weird but its like all my nervous anxiety and stress anxiety just magically goes away.

I dont know, but for now it works for me, and as long as I give breaks on the weekends and vacations my tolerance should stay low.

*********Please don't re-register....from the posting rules.

"To get a forgotten password:
    Enter your username in the login, leave password area blank, Click on the words, "Log in". Follow the directions to have your password emailed to your registered email address. Enter your registered email address . You must have a working registered email address to get your password.
    It is your job to keep it updated."

Thanks, Ms_Mod******************

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-09-2005 at 04:44 PM.

Old 08-09-2005, 03:53 PM   #4
    Johna
    Veteran
    (female)

Johna HB User

I have anxiety and add. I am on adderall 20 mg in the morning and 10 to 20 mg in the afternoon depending on my day's schedule. I take zoloft for anxiety I think it's 100mg a day. Alot of people who suffer from add/adhd also have anxiety. Have you talked to your doctor about being checked for add/adhd? I was finally diagnoised with add at the age of 46. Good Luck

Old 08-09-2005, 07:48 PM   #5
    GanChan
    (male)

GanChan HB User

People with ADD disorders seem to have a relaxation response to stimulants (I'm thinking about kids and Ritalin). Interesting.

Closed Thread