It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Acne Message Board

  • Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 08-10-2005, 08:29 AM   #91
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran
     
    SweetJade1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Posts: 843
    SweetJade1 HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constant
    ErimusValidus,

    So I'm day two on this digestive cleanser stuff and my stomach is killing me, KILLING ME!!!!

    There is something very scary going on in there. Very scary indeed.
    On the Psyllium and Activated Charcoal? I remember reading about this happening to some others and it was suggested that the psyllium may be too rough for your intestines (if they are that damaged AKA Leaky Gut). Perhaps using some other fiber or less psyllium may work.

    Hope you feel better

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 08-10-2005, 09:35 AM   #92
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    xismybaby's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2003
    Location: connecticut
    Posts: 409
    xismybaby HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    Hey ErimusValidus

    I've been taking the Charcoal and the Psyllium Husks for about a week and my skin was looking good for about 2 days and then today its back to its old self. I'm getting little bumps again and some pimples (im not sure why).

    Does this seem normal to break out a little even after your skin seemed to clear up?

    Also, I would like to say that I didn't fast for 24 or 36 hours, I just started taking the supplements. Was that a bad idea? It's very hard for me to not eat (i get so hungry) and I was just so excited about the supplements that I just jumped right into them.


     
    Old 08-10-2005, 10:20 AM   #93
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    ErimusValidus's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: Oxford, UK
    Posts: 1,155
    ErimusValidus HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    Okay, SweetJade1...

    Firstly, sorry for taking a while to reply, but I wanted to set aside some time to prepare a detailed response to your lengthy and insightful contribution to this discussion. I knew it would be interesting and beneficial for myself and others to hear your thoughts on my regimen and I am grateful for your input, not least because I barely understand what has happened to my own skin/body, let alone how to properly advise others

    You obviously have a far greater understanding of detox procedures than I do. I was simply lucky to drop on one that has helped to alleviate my acne so much (99% to date, touch wood). It's clear that there's a gamut of treatments available and, as such, it must be unlikely that my particular regimen will be as successful for everyone as it has been for me (as is obviously the case with most acne treatments). To this end, are you able to explain to everyone how to determine which combination of treatments are best for them?

    Also, why do you generally plump for a dietry approach to tackling acne when - at the very least - you seem to be saying here that cleansing offers a substantial boost, complementing a healthy diet? For most of us on these forums (teens and twenty-somethings desperate for a quick fix in line with our busy lifestyles), a remedial treatment is far more practical than the restrictions of an acne-friendly diet, which (in my experience) is somewhat ineffective due to the uphill gradient of having subsisted with a Western diet for so long. I don't seek to rubbish your efforts to convince others to modify their diets (I myself experienced great success with yours and prometheus' dietry advice over a year ago; although, I didn't have the discipline to maintain it), but would you not agree with me there?

    Anyway, to answer your questions, I have never tried any of the other cleanses you mention; I am 22; and I did suffer with painful cystic acne since I was 14. The improvement I have experienced in the last six months has been nothing short of a revelation. I'm not just talking about the cessation of acne, but a dramatic increase in the healing speed of old spots, an increase in suppleness and elasticity, a reduction in pore size, and a general glow to my skin, the like of which I thought I would never see again

    And it all makes perfect sense to me: if there's a build up of rubbish on the inside, then it must reflect on the outside. But what I don't understand is why some people can eat rubbish without getting acne. That must imply a fundamental biological difference, surely? Perhaps, as you say, they must be paying the price in other aspects of ill health. Indeed, I am one of those people who is almost glad that I have suffered acne because it highlighted that my body was in need of repair.
    __________________
    I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams...

     
    Old 08-10-2005, 05:58 PM   #94
    omega47
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    omega47's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 150
    omega47 HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    erimus, do u use all of the stuff at the same time? psyllium,charcoal ...do u use it at the same one one after another or do u wait between takin each one of them? ty

     
    Old 08-10-2005, 10:47 PM   #95
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran
     
    SweetJade1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Posts: 843
    SweetJade1 HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ErimusValidus
    OkayAnd it all makes perfect sense to me: if there's a build up of rubbish on the inside, then it must reflect on the outside. But what I don't understand is why some people can eat rubbish without getting acne. That must imply a fundamental biological difference, surely? Perhaps, as you say, they must be paying the price in other aspects of ill health. Indeed, I am one of those people who is almost glad that I have suffered acne because it highlighted that my body was in need of repair.
    ErimusValidus,
    seeing as how I'm feeling kinda mentally tired myself at the moment, Iíll answer the rest of your questions later. However, I did try to address the above concerns and I hope my clarifications will put your mind, and hopefully many others, at ease.. From my knowledge, from the ridiculous amount of hours of I've put into researching this, and from others stories, yes there's obviously a biological difference, but that "Why" question doesn't just stop with acne.

    Hmm.....an overwhelming majority consider acne to be it's own disease, but it is not. Acne is not a disease. Acne is form of skin inflammation that's a sign , an indicator, of something internally or externally that our bodies are Hypersensitive to. Yes acne is a type of skin problem, but most skin problems aren't the disease, they are actually signs of a bigger problem or underlying issue at play.

    Think of Cancer. Do we hear people ask "why did I get breast or prostate cancer?" No, don't we just usually hear "why did I get cancer? or "I have cancer." Cancer is cancer. It can be asymptomatic (no clincal signs)or you may slowly experience signs over time. However, the point is, once you are diagnosed, you don't really differentiate among them, and usually they all follow very similar, if not the same treatment protocol, right?

    Same thing with Allergies. We have pollen, pet dander, nickel, food, among other allergies. It doesn't matter what kind of allergy it is, does it? What matters is that these people have allergies and know that they must either avoid their personal allergens and/or take medication to control their signs. While they may sneeze, cough, have trouble breathing, have runny nose, tear up, swell up, turn red, itch, or get hives or some other rash, do you think that all people with allergies have the exact same signs? Absolutely not! In fact, people with allergies also have different tolerance thresholds. After they cross their tolerance threshold (in order of increasing sensitivity) consuming wheat, OR touching wheat, OR touching a surface that wheat touched, etcÖ.a reaction follows. Yet when they treat their allergies accordingly, no more problems.

    Now let's take Hormonal or Metabolic Disorders into account. Wow, there's a wide variety of them and since they are their own disease (some may be another sign of something larger), they do have their own associated signs. So, one hormonal disorder may have 5 signs, and the person diagnosed may have all 5 or only 1 of those signs. Yet, when it comes to males, usually they are more "asymptomatic", if it has do with certain androgen disorders, but just because they don't show signs, it doesn't mean they don't have a problem. Usually, the only way to know is by getting a battery of lab tests run (blood, urine, saliva, fecal). Nevertheless, the point is, whether you show signs or not, have 1 sign or all of them, it doesnít override the fact that you have a said hormonal disorder. As such, usually by fixing the problem, and NOT focusing on treating the signs, all of the associated signs are reduced or eliminated.

    Same goes for Puberty. Granted our genetics will determine how short or tall weíll end up being, but do all of us end up with acne, diabetes, depression, anorexia or become overweight while our bodies were going through all those crazy changes? Nope, in fact some teens that go through puberty are entirely asymptomatic, but that doesnít override the fact that we ALL went through puberty.

    OK, so remember what I said about acne earler? That acne is (defined as) an inflammatory skin disease and as such, our immune system must have an awfully large role in all of this. After all, if our immune system wasn't activated by some sort of stimuli, acne couldn't develop. You can't have inflammation without inflammatory immune mediators or factors and incidentally our acne lesions and blood contain higher amounts of these. Did you know that we treat acne most successfully via two ways: Ant-Androgens or Anti-Inflammatories. Yet...did you know that anti-androgens also result in being anti-inflammatory? In fact, all supplements, oral or topical medications, and OTC products that are intentionally or unintentionally (aspirin, anti-histamines, anti-psychotics) used to treat acne usually directly or indirectly result in reducing inflammation. (Wheels turning yet?)

    OK, so keeping the above in mind, why isn't chloracne just called acne? Know what causes it? Dioxins. Do you remember earlier this year when some political figure from Russia or some other country that was poisoned with dioxin and he ended up with some sort of skin problem? Well he didn't look like he had any acne to me only greyish skin, but it was a skin problem caused by dioxin. In fact dioxin can cause skin problems via oral or external contact. Yet when acne is present as a direct result, it's not just called acne, but acne-like lesions....There's a difference???

    Well apparently, acne isn't really just acne. Oh no. There are different names for acne depending on the type or acneform it is. There are names for the type of acne depending on where it's located on the body. There are names for acne depending on the size and other physical characteristics. Oh but the most important thing, there are names for acne depending on what CAUSED it (as far as they know)!

    Have you figured out where Iím going here? Well itís basically what the thread, Acne: A New Theory has evolved into. If acne has different causes, how can any person, doctor, or scientist tell you or me that food, splenda, nickel, etc doesnít cause acne for us on an individual basis??? I mean itís accepted that hormones can do it, that cosmetics can do it, that helmet friction can, and letís not forgetÖbacteria. Yet, stating that acne can be caused/triggered by food or other toxins (assoc. w/ processed food?) is absolutely incomprehensible? Hmm.. how can acne have different causes and yet be so difficult to understand? Doesnít acne kinda sound like it may actually have some other etiology all together? That maybe it was misclassified?

    Perhaps it sounds like an allergy. That has an immune response. Inflammation is involved and even inflammatory skin reactions occur. Oh, but an allergy is an Immediate Type Hypersensitivity (Type I Hypersensivity) where a reaction occurs within 24 hrs and acne takes supposedly weeks or months to form (LOL). Ok, well what if acne was more of a Late Onset or Delayed-Type Hypersensitivity (Type IV Hypersensitivty)? If it was, and there are a few supportive studies out there, it would fit what some say. Some say it takes 3 weeks, 6 weeks, or 3 months to form (they canít even agree on this). Yet if we analyzed how long it took acne to form after we used the wrong skin care, supplement, or ate a particular food, did it really take that long? Most of us would say on average it takes within a 3 Ė 7 days, right?

    So if acne is just another sign of some sort of hypersensitivity, then why donít we treat it accordingly? Why donít we just eliminate the trigger or stimuli of our (skinís) immune activation and move on with our lives? Why all this drama, agony, and most importantly arguing among members over the answers when we are ALL probably right ;-) So once again, if acne really is a Delayed Type Hypersensitivity reaction that was ignored all these years, all we have to do is find the stimuli of our immune activation, avoid it, and our acne goes away.

    Of course, for example, those that find that they are avoiding more foods than they care to, thatís where all the various detox & cleansing regimens come into play. If itís genetic, you may not benefit from this, but if it was caused by something else (environmental), healing or eliminating the cause may very well allow you to be exposed to such stimuli again.

    So I guess my point is that acne is another sign (we may have others) of a hypersensitivity disorder. Just like most skin problems, itís a sign of something going on that our bodies donít particularly appreciate. Sometimes it may not be anything serious and other times it may be an indicator of some major underlying problem. Therefore, we can choose to pursue it and do what is necessary to fix it or not.

    Furthermoe, while acne is similar to an allergy, it clearly is not an allergy and as such an allergy test may be futile, but there are other possible hypersensitivity tests. However, just like allergy sufferers, acne sufferers also have varying tolerance thresholds for their particular stimuli. Yet I donít ask why that is or why I have it anymore. Iíve long since ceased caring about those kind of ďwhysĒ. We all have some sort of issue in our lives and I canít think of any one person I would like to trade with. We ALL suffer in one way or another and yet, when it comes to acneÖ.if we avoid our stimuli (or take appropriate healing measures), we donít have to suffer any longer.

    Nighty night


    P.S. Did you know that among the various diagnositic skin lesions, people with HIV may develop acne again or for the very first time? Hmm...

    Last edited by SweetJade1; 08-11-2005 at 06:37 PM.

     
    Old 08-10-2005, 10:54 PM   #96
    soupyhead
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    soupyhead's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2005
    Posts: 141
    soupyhead HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    its been 2 days since i did the 24hrs no eating wiht the pills and i havent gone to the bathroom! hopefully i will soon!

     
    Old 08-11-2005, 06:59 AM   #97
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Posts: 1,149
    Constant HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    I need to tell y'all my experience with the digestive cleanz.

    I started it on monday. By tuesday evening I was violently ill. Horrible stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, 100 degree temperature, headache, etc.

    Apparently I am allergic to Cascara Sagrada, one of the main ingredients in these cleanse programs. VERY ALLERGIC.

    Mild cramping apparently is normal however this was anything but mild.

    If anyone knows of a digestive cleanser that doesn't contain this ingredient please let me know.

    Last edited by Constant; 08-11-2005 at 07:28 AM.

     
    Old 08-11-2005, 08:26 AM   #98
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran
     
    SweetJade1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Posts: 843
    SweetJade1 HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constant
    I need to tell y'all my experience with the digestive cleanz.

    I started it on monday. By tuesday evening I was violently ill. Horrible stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, 100 degree temperature, headache, etc.

    Apparently I am allergic to Cascara Sagrada, one of the main ingredients in these cleanse programs. VERY ALLERGIC.

    Mild cramping apparently is normal however this was anything but mild.

    If anyone knows of a digestive cleanser that doesn't contain this ingredient please let me know.
    Wow, I am so sorry to hear this. I have issues with Dong Quai (rash is a side effect and I got it) and Black Cohosh (makes my stomach rumbel) and so I avoid products with these two in it. However, I know that for some such horrible reactions can be a sign of a detox reaction or healing crisis, but that would be waaay too soon in your case (allergy makes sense). So if you find a product and there are some out there or you can make your own concotion (which I'm working on) you may still experience a reaction if you don't have enough detoxifiers and toxin absorbers or do enemas afterwards (which I don't wanna do). What product was this again? Dr. Natura's?

    I know in this book I have, Leaky Gut Syndrome, it says that we can do various types of flushes one of which involves using Vitamin C. Now we can't use buffered vitamin c powder or supplements because it's already bound to another mineral, but if we use just ascorbic acid in capsule form it will work as a detoxifier, flora balancer and boost our immune system. It says we should do this once a week for 1 - 2 months for a weakened immune system or after exposure to a lot of toxins. In order to do this flush we must take vitamin c to the level of tissue saturation, causes diarrhea, this could be 5g, 20g or 50g depending on your tolerance level. You gradually increase the amount of vitamin C every 30 minutes until you hit tissue saturation, again diarrhea. The author suggests using mineral ascorbate powder (non acidifying), but as I mentioned earlier this supposedly won't work to detoxify, but I'm sure it will still work to flush out other stuff. Also by doing this supposedly 3/4 of the amount neccesssary to induce a Vitamin C Flush, would be our optimal daily dose of Vitamin C.

    Regular use of vitamin c (as many grams as you can tolerate without getting diarrhea) is especially important for people that have inflammatory disorders (internally or externally) so that would mean us acne sufferers as well as anyone here that knows they have Insulin Resistance, Thyroiditis, Allergies, Intolerances, etc. Why because our immune system will take the vitamin c we have and use it to PROTECT itself! LOL, so we are left unprotected when it comes to toxin elimination as well as repairing damage as Vitamin C is essential for collagen production thus, our bones, muscle, and intestinal lining, arteries, skin etc are left without a proper means of healing itself which can lead to further problems.

    Perhaps you might want to try that. Of course there's other programs out there. If you find one that doesn't use cascara, please let us know in case someone else may have an allergy to this as well.

    Hope you feel better

    Last edited by SweetJade1; 08-11-2005 at 08:58 AM.

     
    Old 08-11-2005, 09:08 AM   #99
    serafine
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    serafine's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 11
    serafine HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    Hi! I am new here and have read the entire thread. I am 39 years old and have an acne problem. I've tried SO many over-the-counter products: topical ointments, washes, creams and scrubs. It has provided temporary relief but of course my acne is a daily occurence and I'm growing weary of constantly using all these products every morning and night. I have a little acne on my body too - mostly my arms - and the past few days, I have small bumps on my lower arms. An allergy to a new soap?? Or just because of my poor digestive system?? Like others here, I have constipation - I probably go twice a week, if that. Days I can't go, I have cramps and gas....

    My diet consists of white bread (LOVE my toast in the morning w/ my coffee), proteins (fish, red meat usually... not much poultry) fruits and vegetables, potatoes, rice, butter, cheese, peanut butter. And of course I eat the all-American foods: pizza and hamburgers! I love my chocolate too. I indulge in a sweet treat at times like pie or cookies. And I also used to consume alcohol, which probably didn't help my complexion either. I don't know if my erratic diet is the cause, but I'm willing to try anything! I need to do something!!

    So I will try this digestive system cleanse... I haven't done this in like 20 years. After the cleanse, I will monitor my diet behaviors and make some modifications. As much as it will pain me, I'll give up my morning ritual of buttered white toast. Would granola be better?? And I'll eliminate the sugars and concentrate on more fish and chicken and vegetables. Is red meat a no-no?? I love a good steak. I'll try this and see if my diet is the problem because nothing else is helping!!


    Last edited by serafine; 08-11-2005 at 01:24 PM.

     
    Old 08-11-2005, 10:12 AM   #100
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Posts: 1,149
    Constant HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    Sweet Jade,

    I was hoping you would see this and respond. Thank goodness you did.

    Yes, I was very, very sick and today I am finally able to sit up for more then a minute or two without being in agony.

    I'm a bit confused about the Vitamin C. We need ascorbic vitamin C, administered to the point of diarrhea?

    Can you possibly give me a brand name for reference as well as a sample scenario of use?

    Thanks

     
    Old 08-12-2005, 04:47 AM   #101
    serafine
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    serafine's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 11
    serafine HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ErimusValidus
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Okay, pattersonjk, here goes:

    1) If you want to get the ball rolling as quickly as possible you will have to put a little effort in. As I said earlier, I would recommend an initial fasting period i.e. only drink water and only ingest the capsules, until you feel completely empty. Don't worry, this should only take 36 hours maximum in my opinion, and you'll spend a lot of that time asleep. Just don't be tempted to eat until you're done. You'll know when this initial cleanse is over when your stool looks different to usual. You should be able to find pictures (horribly graphic ones ) but if you observe your stool you will know when you're done, trust me! And after that you will notice that your stool is a lot "cleaner". It won't smell as bad as before and it will be solid in consistency.



    EV
    EV ~ okay I've taken the psyllium husk powder and the pills, fasted, drank lots of water and nothing is coming out!!! I started fasting early Thursday morning and this process yesterday afternoon. How long does it take?? I'm hungry as heck but I don't want to eat yet.

    Read my earilier post about my situation. Thanks

    Last edited by serafine; 08-12-2005 at 05:41 AM.

     
    Old 08-12-2005, 05:01 AM   #102
    marshabrady333
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    marshabrady333's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2004
    Posts: 8
    marshabrady333 HB User
    Did i do it wrong?

    EV,

    Thanks for all your enthusiasm over this idea.. unfortunately I think I may have done something wrong (?)

    Stopped eating Wednesday 7pm.. and drank lots of water and took the suppliments (+ evening primrose and Aloe Vera which i normally take) and by Thursday pm I was feeling very hungry and de-energised.. managed to stick it out though, and was looking forward to waking up this morning to eat.. But I woke up at 5am and felt really sick, and my head felt terrible (throbbing everytime i stood up) .. I rushed to the toilet to be sick (of course there was barely anything there) and then at 7am had some Danone Activia (Yakult alternative) and then my usual bowl of cereal..
    Feel fine now and am just waiting for some results this week.. But do u think the fact that I was ill means it won't work?

    Thanks

     
    Old 08-12-2005, 05:33 AM   #103
    serafine
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    serafine's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 11
    serafine HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    I'm starting to feel ill now myself.

     
    Old 08-12-2005, 05:48 AM   #104
    Anonym0us
    Member
    (male)
     
    Anonym0us's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2005
    Posts: 73
    Anonym0us HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    i have constipation too. i probably "go" about twice a week as well.

    update - i now "go" about 4 times a week and my stool looks disgusting! lol! and it's now solid.

    hang in there serafine. once you started to "go" you would notice your stool being different from the past.

     
    Old 08-12-2005, 08:26 AM   #105
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran
     
    SweetJade1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Posts: 843
    SweetJade1 HB User
    Re: Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constant
    Sweet Jade,

    I was hoping you would see this and respond. Thank goodness you did.

    Yes, I was very, very sick and today I am finally able to sit up for more then a minute or two without being in agony.

    I'm a bit confused about the Vitamin C. We need ascorbic vitamin C, administered to the point of diarrhea?

    Can you possibly give me a brand name for reference as well as a sample scenario of use?

    Thanks
    Wow, well I certainly hope you are feeling even better today. As for the Vitamin C Flush, if you want to do this flush, you would consume to the point of tissue saturation, which will be noted by us as a watery diarrhea. This is actually noted as a side effect when people consume too much Vitamin C (at once). So by inducing diarrhea, you are helping to cleanse out your system, boost your immune system, etc. This is a flush that you would do once a week for 1 - 2 months as a form of detoxification.

    What I'm confused about is whether we should use (L-)Ascorbic Acid Powder (this is acidifying and can eventually mess with our teeth) or Capsules or whether we should use Buffered Vitamin C (mineral ascorbates) Powder. I'm trying to look this up right now because Buffered Vitamin C is safe for our Teeth but supposedly won't be as effective as unbuffered (unbound) vitamin C for detoxifying. When I find out, I'll let you know.

    Please take care

     
    Closed Thread




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:20 PM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!