It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Ulnar Nerve Problem...not in wrist, elbow, neck

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-26-2005, 06:55 PM   #1
    CDauthier
    Inactive

CDauthier HB User
    Ulnar Nerve Problem...not in wrist, elbow, neck

Just had an EMG and a NCS and was told I have motor and sensory loss involving the ulnar nerve in both hands. I was aware of the left hand, the reasoning for the tests...doc thought it was an ulnar nerve entrapment at the elbow (cubital tunnel syndrome). The neurologist also tested the right hand. It is affected also, but not as bad as the left hand.

Was told I have carpal tunnel syndrome...who doesn't...but am concerned with the numbness and motor function in the hands with pinky and half of ring finger. EMG and NCS indicates there is an ulnar nerve problem but it's not in the wrist, elbow or neck. Have another appointment on August 10 with neurosurgeon who I am told will probably order an MRI. Anyone have a similar issue and what was the outcome?

Thanks,
    Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2005, 07:14 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Ulnar Nerve Problem...not in wrist, elbow, neck

An MRI of the c spine really would be your best bet.I now have a severely damaged C8 nerve caused by surgery and my last two fingers on both hands are numb.The ulnar nerve hooks up in correlation to the C 8 nerve.An mRI will most likely show some sort of a problem affecting that particular nerve or something wrong with the T1.hope it is not serious.Please keep me posted on just what you find.**

Old 07-27-2005, 07:17 PM   #3
    CDauthier
    Inactive

CDauthier HB User

Thanks for your response. The neurologist who supervised the NCS and actually performed the EMG said that the problem is somewhere in the brachial plexus. After surfing the net, I came across a pancoast tumor, but kind of doubt that it would be that because the ulnar nerve problem is in both hands as the tumor would be on one side or the other....so I'm leaning to what you suggested also with the C8 or the T1....but I don't have what I consider neck pain....neck does "crackle" and hurt somewhat when I turn it from side to side but I thought that was normal....but, on the other hand, I thought it was normal to have throat pain every time you swallow until I recently had my tonsils out at age 53. Would I have severe neck pain with this type of problem and would the EMG and NCS have picked up on it?....neurologist said no problem in the neck.

Having tonsils out brings up another interesting point. Young woman who put IV on top of left hand sent excruciating pain several times through hand. I'm a strong person when it comes to pain tolerance and have had IV's before and donate blood frequently, but NOTHING like what happened that day......after 3 to 4 attempts and horrible, horrible pain, the vein blew. An anesthesiologist came and put the IV right under the left elbow on the inside of the hand after first numbing the area...which I didn't care for because if he hit a nerve, I wouldn't be able to feel it....that vein also blew after surgery. That night when I went home after surgery, numbness and motor problems suddenly started....numbness progressed each day until the point that I have now. I'm not sue happy and have no intensions of suing over a side effect of venipuncture, if that is my problem...sometimes I think docs are leary of diagnosing problems of other medical professionals as they don't want to be involved in lawsuits, and I can't blame them. I just want to find out what it is and what to do to make it better. About a week ago, when I typed, I found I was leaving out letters that the pinky and ring fingers on the left hand would hit...but not doing it now.....so really feel left hand is getting better.

Another note: I have a herniated and a ruptured disk in the lower back. Had a piece of a disc removed that had broken away and wedged itself against the spinal cord. It was instant relief...surgery was in Dec. of 2000. Some lower back pain, but nothing severe so far.

Noticed you had removal of cavernous hemagiona....did you have an EMG and NCS that discovered it? Also, was it visible on the skin?

Thanks again for your response!

Cathy

Old 07-29-2005, 06:11 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i have had many EMGs over the past few years but they never would have picked up on the ca as EMGs only show nerve damage and nothing else.it was actually found on the MRI I had done to find which disc was giving me the pain and numbness in my first two fingers.There was also nothing on the skin that would have shown just what creepy nasty things were lurking underneath in my spinal cord.I really do think that your problem is definitely coming from somewhere very near the C 8 nerve.those last two fingers would be the ones that would correlate with it.i sure hope you can find the problem and have it corrected.Please keep me posted.**

Old 07-29-2005, 05:06 PM   #5
    CDauthier
    Inactive

CDauthier HB User

Thanks for sharing your info...will definitely let you know what we find out...things move so slowly in a situation like this...have to wait til August 10 for apt. to get an MRI scheduled then schedule another apt. for results.

Thanks again,
    Cathy

Old 08-10-2005, 05:28 PM   #6
    CDauthier
    Inactive

CDauthier HB User

Just an update. Had consultation with my neurosurgeon today to go over test results. He said the entrapment is definitely in the elbows....not the brachial plexus. Asked if it was better and so happened, I started out the day with less numbing in the fingers and hand...first time this has happened....so I will very closely watch how I prop elbows and hope for continued improvement. My doc said to see him again in a year if condition doesn't get worse before then. Thanks for your support, and don't worry, I will monitor this situation closely.

Cathy

Old 08-11-2005, 06:32 AM   #7
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I am glad that it is something that was not a big big issue and can just be monitored for any changes.i do think that just by really paying close attention to your elbow placement will help alot in healing this.Let me know if anything changes,K?**

Old 08-16-2005, 07:15 AM   #8
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I am so sorry about what your daughter,and you are having to deal with.unfortunetly as you already know, the chances of nerve recovery in a tramatic incident such as your daughter has experienced are unfortunetly pretty slim.the test you are referring to is called a nerve conduction study.it will reveal just how damaged the nerves really are.from what you described,with the atrphy of the muscles it does sound pretty bad.I have the same thing happening in my left arm and hand due to a spinal cord surgery that damaged alot of spinal nerves that innervated alot of muscles in the lower forearm and hand.i can no longer pinch really well or rotate my thumb under the fingers anymore and have lost alot of muscle as well.espescially at the base of my thumb and forefinger.unfortunetly, once the damage gets to this point, there really is not alot of hope for the nerves to regenerate and what she has right now will most likely be the extent of her recovery.BUT getting her to a good physiatrist and hand therepist will help her the best possble way in being able to try and work around the damage and to get the best possible outcome.I really am sorry that I do not have better news for you,truely.With lots of love and support and considering that she is still pretty young,she will be able to accomplish some pretty amazing things with her good hand and only limited use of her other hand,trust me.children have some sort of ability to adapt much better and make appropriate changes than someone who is my age(44) and trying to deal with the disabilities that I have now as there is much more extensive damage that I have to deal with that I have not mentioned.you sound like a very loving and caring mom and that you are doing everything possible to help your child and quite honestly this is really what your daughter needs the most right now.Just get her to a good hand therepist for the best chance at getting at least some use from the hand.i was really amazed at how great my therepists were at helping gain at least something back after my surgery caused so much nerve damage.please keep me posted on how things go for your daughter.I really do feel for you and what you are going through.Good luck,marcia

Closed Thread