It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• gerd and anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-08-2005, 09:41 AM   #1
    sculpture
    (female)

sculpture HB User
    gerd and anxiety

Does anxiety cause gerd or does gerd cause anxiety?? There are just too many cases of people who have both to rule out the connection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 09:07 PM   #2
    jbabbit
    (female)

jbabbit HB User
    Re: gerd and anxiety

I think the gerd causes anxiety. I know in my case after gallbladder surgery my gerd was horrible...chest pains...trouble breathing....pain down left arm...heart palpitations....I thought I was having a heart attack. I had tests ran and it was my gerd acting up. Anyway...these symptoms caused me to have panic attacks which I never had before... Now, my doctor does say that the anxiety causes the gerd to be worse....so...who knows??????

Old 06-09-2005, 02:46 PM   #3
    Katt5220
    (female)

Katt5220 HB User

Good question
    I am not sure if I had anxiety which caused my GERD or if I had GERD and got anxiety from it.
    My Dr opinion was that I had panic and anxiety attacks when I really had GERD/LPR. So for awhile I thought I was mental and then found out it was all physical. After being on Nexium for a few months the anxiety subsided. Mine was a case of people convincing me that I had anxiety when I really had a physical illness.
    The DR didn't want to treat me or do any tests, they wanted me to have a psychological evaluation which I refused, I persisted and found out the real problem.

Katt

Old 06-09-2005, 03:03 PM   #4
    DebraL

DebraL HB User

I developed anxiety because I had this feeling of something in my throat that the doctors thought was ONLY anxiety. Yes, the anxiety made it all worse, but the physical problem came first. Now that I have an LPR diagnosis for the 'something in the throat feeling', the anxiety is much less.

Old 06-09-2005, 05:24 PM   #5
    LostMind
    (female)

LostMind HB User

I think my anxiety caused my GERD. My GI agrees and even has me on Buspar for my anxiety.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:19 AM   #6
    Irish Lad
    (male)

Irish Lad HB User

In my case I developed the sensation of a lump in my throat. It was a slow healing process of six months. Towards the end I developed a lot of anxiety and couldnt even eat. Looking at food made me anxious. It was definitely a physical issue and not mental. It turned out my stomach wasnt working correctly and they said I had mild gastro paresis. However I did notice that the Protonix they gave me for my GERD made my stools very hard. Now I take a laxative occasionally to keep me regular and the anxiety isnt there anymore. Its seemed the anxiety was a result of me being slightly constipated which made it hard for my stomach to work / pass food along. If I got too full I would feel anxious. The anxiety was worse than the throat problem itself. Its an awful feeling but one that was a result of the illness. I hate when people tell you you make it worse by worrying etc. Like you choose to do it.

Old 06-11-2005, 06:53 AM   #7
    Broadwaygirl03

Broadwaygirl03 HB User

Wow, I cannot believe this topic!
    I get horrible anxiety/panic attacks when something terrible goes wrong. I've only gottan a few over the years since my GERD diagnosis, but my sister has them pretty bad. It's so weird for me, mentally I'm on top of things. But it's like my stomach is on a different page. My anxiety always deals with horrible nausea and my GERD just becomes 10 times worse. It's really weird.
    ~Into the Woods

Old 07-27-2005, 10:40 PM   #8
    Wantobehealthy
    (male)

Wantobehealthy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Broadwaygirl03
    Wow, I cannot believe this topic!
    I get horrible anxiety/panic attacks when something terrible goes wrong. I've only gottan a few over the years since my GERD diagnosis, but my sister has them pretty bad. It's so weird for me, mentally I'm on top of things. But it's like my stomach is on a different page. My anxiety always deals with horrible nausea and my GERD just becomes 10 times worse. It's really weird.
    I would say for much of two months prior to my condition coming on in a really bad way, I had what I've called "stress", or "anxiety", but the feeling was more like overwhelming "Dread", a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach and then like some kind of paralyzing chemicals coursing through the system. I've had it a bit this week, and my reflux is worse too.

I've been thinking about looking in to beta-blockers.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:10 AM   #9
    kimberandcrew
    (female)

kimberandcrew HB User

Hi,
    Iv'e been trying to figure this out too. I think it's a vicious cycle-one keeps causing the other. Just my opinion, but I kind of think anxiety can initally cause gerd and then they just feed off of each other from there. The way mine came on ,seemed to me like an anxiety attack ,and it was the next day that I woke up with heartburn for the first time in my life. I'm sure it goes both ways, but I think when it comes on abruptly it makes more sense to me that the gerd sort of gets pushed over the edge by the anxiety.I did'nt know I even had anxiety - still not completely convinced. I have realized though, that you can really experience the physical effects of anxiety , without really feeling like your anxious.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:30 AM   #10
    burpingguy
    (male)

burpingguy HB User

These seem to be intertwined. I was perfectly healthy until 25 when I got laid off. It may have been the stress of that (which didn't seem that bad to me at the time) but it evolved into asthma that was being caused by GERD. Now I'm on Protonix but I can't stop burping or being bloated all the time. The pressure from the gas in my stomach and esophagus somehow gives me anxiety, possibly from pushing on my heart and lungs such that I can't breathe so well. I feel pressure in my head, sinus, ears, throat and my blood pressure is high almost all the time now. I've been on anti-anxiety medication (Lexapro) for two weeks now without much relief.

Old 07-30-2005, 09:07 PM   #11
    butterfly84
    (female)

butterfly84 HB User

I never really thought these 2 things might lead to each other.. hmm

I believe my GERD was a physical symptom of my depression, i started taking an AD and since I dont feel depressed/sad etc.. and now i feel anxious all the time and very nervous and jittery.. so I dont know i wonder if there have been any significant studies related to this?

Old 08-02-2005, 10:30 PM   #12
    skycstle
    (female)

skycstle HB User

I too have had my doctors tell me I have GERD - three different ones. By yesterday it had gotten so bad that I was practically coughing non stop and my throat felt raw. I don't have the traditional heartburn symptoms and none of the meds were working. Anyway, I went back to my PCP and she suggested I try taking Xanax for a few days to give the Prevacid a chance to work. I took one last night - the difference is like night and day. I have barely coughed at all, and although my throat still feels a little sore, it's not like it has been for the past month. I would suggest you at least talk to your doctor about it. I know I feel MUCH better today.

Niki

Old 08-05-2005, 03:00 PM   #13
    burpingguy
    (male)

burpingguy HB User

Just thought I'd post an update. I've been on a low dose of Lexapro, an anti-anxiety drug, and it seems to be helping a lot now that I'm three+ weeks into it. The first two weeks were not very different (as I posted earlier) but the third week really turned things around. I had constant burping, bloating, neck and scalp muscle cramps, lightheadedness, head pressure, etc. All of this has been greatly reduced for this last week. I hope things stay good.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:59 PM   #14
    willbee
    (male)

willbee HB User

I was told that I have Gerd in 2003 after I had a Heart attack. I was haveing a lot of Anxiety and all the ugly symptoms of gerd for several years before the heart attack. I have a yearly health screening at the company I work for and had seen my Family doctor several times complaining of the anxiety and the awfull heart burn. They all miss diaganosed me on both counts .I had two clogged coranary arterys 99% on the right and 80% onthe left I almost died. What I am gettin at is that awful heart burn might be worse then you think ,Don't let your Doctor run you through like cattle at a stock sale .My Doctor treated me like a Hypochirondriac for years .Don't take any of that crap , And by the way the pain I felt the day I had my Heart attack was The same as that nasty heartburn from the gerd with one exception Severe fatigue. I hope this helps someone..

Old 08-12-2005, 08:02 PM   #15
    wstewy

wstewy HB User

How is the anxiety medication working? i have lpr, experience the constant feeling of excess mucous caught in throat, which does not come up or go down, and have throat tension and the incessant feeling that i need to swallow all of the time. i feel that anxiety and stress at work brought these symptoms on. does anyone feel that to have been the case? if so, do anti anxiety medications work? i don't feel that i have the symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder, but do feel tense. at times, when stress free, the mucus and throat symptoms seem to alleviate themselves, to a certain degree? any ideas?

Closed Thread