It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Comparing weak vs. stronger benzos question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-13-2005, 11:01 AM   #1
    NathanF41
    Inactive
    (male)

NathanF41 HB User
    Comparing weak vs. stronger benzos question

So as some of you know (I posted earlier) I was prescribed Lorazepam (generic Ativan). Smallest dose .5mg. Breaking them in half does pretty much nothing for me....especially if performing (work related). I took .35 yesterday and still felt nothing. I'm not going to jump the gun, but my question is this....is it seen as better and/or safer if .5 of Ativan would work well rather than having to take like 2mg of Lorazepam for me to feel something? Is there higher addiction potential to the Lorazepam in this case since I would be taking a higher dose for effect? I have a feeling it's going to take me at least 1-2mg before I really start feeling relief or lorazepam....and if Ativan works at .5, would it be a better idea to switch since that would be effective at a lower dosage?

I'm really just using those two as examples, I hope the concept of what I'm asking is clear. It always seems to me that more effective results on lower doses is the better option. But if Ativan is more potent, then does it really make a difference if that works at .5, or a less potent works at 2mg? (mostly asking for safety, addiction, more long term effectiveness without having to up the dosage. Seems like a less potent drug has a lot more potential to have the dosage raised more frequently to keep getting results.).

Last edited by NathanF41; 08-13-2005 at 11:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2005, 11:10 AM   #2
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User
    Re: Comparing weak vs. stronger benzos question

I would think it would be better to take the one that you use less of ,but helps you the most.I used to take clonozepam .5 at a time and it worked wonderfully for me.This is a good question,maybe others will chime in.

Beth

Old 08-13-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

no benzos are stronger or weaker than others it all depends on the dose taken

a complication is that any new benzo may sedate you strongly until you get used to it, making you think its stronger than the old benzo

type
    benzo equivalency chart
    into a search engine

Old 08-13-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
    NathanF41
    Inactive
    (male)

NathanF41 HB User

so basically that table treats generics as if they are the exact same thing as the new meds. On that table, Ativan and Lorazepam were the same thing....Klonopin and Clonazepam were the same...etc. So if Lorazepam isn't giving me good results, then it's safe to say that Ativan would give me the exact same results? That seems a bit fishy...

Old 08-14-2005, 02:29 AM   #5
    smc612
    (male)

smc612 HB User

nathan one is the generic for the other. i found no difference in the name brand or generic of anything. my husband was given .5 and i was given 1. he weighs 100 pounds more than i do. neither of us liked the reaction we had to it. the full 1 was way to much for me but we both agreed that it made us lethargic and i became real down in the dumps everytime i took it. i stopped after a couple of days becasue i couldn't work like that.

Closed Thread