It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• What I wish I knew before my Lasik surgery...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2005, 08:50 AM   #16
    dreeeemer

dreeeemer HB User
    Re: What I wish I knew before my Lasik surgery...

Misty,

Like the previous poster, I am a bit leary that your DR was willing to preform the surgery despite the fact that your prescription changed so much just from taking your contacts out. Were these those new contacts that acutally change the shape of your eye in order to get better vision? I thought they were something you only wear at night, but I have heard of those, so perhaps that was what was going on.

If not then maybe you should think about visiting another Dr for a second oppinion. I know that the question about vision change in the past year was practically question #1 that was asked of me when I went in.

I am sorry that you are having so much trouble, and I hope that everything is resolved soon!

Dre

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2005, 09:47 AM   #17
    mistysea

mistysea HB User

Dre, From my understanding, since I wore my contacts for extended periods (day and night) this did indeed cause my cornea to change shape. That is why I was asked to be out of them for as long as possible, the longer the better. After being out of them for 2 months, the change in refraction was .-50 in each eye, I believe, so they didn't consider this abnormal. The wavefront scan also confirmed the prescription within that same -.50 and it was explained that your vision can change during the day. Plus, the refraction were my prescription went up after being out of my contacts was performed without my pupils being dialated (it was another doctor). So dialation is more accurate. This surgeon came very highly recommended. Plus, I sat in the lobby of the GA Eye Inst. and asked everyone that I thought had surgery questions about their doctor and their satisfaction with the surgery. Only two had any complaints. One was a 56 year old gentleman who had to wear reading glasses now and the other was a 55 year old woman having night vision problems. But both of them told me their wife/husband and children had the surgery by the same doctor and they were all thrilled. Not bad odds. I am hoping my numbers come down with healing. I still see a ring around my eyes from the suction cup (I think that's what it's from) and also I was a high myope, so I'm praying that with time, all will be perfect. Plus, I think these cells need to be addressed. Will know more about that on the 5th. Thank you to everyone talking to me about this. It helps.

Old 07-03-2005, 05:16 PM   #18
    elizab3th
    (female)

elizab3th HB User

Good luck, Mistysea tomorrow for your scraping. Waiting to see how it turns out for you. (no pun intended) My eyes actually seem to be doing a little better. If I cover my left eye, I can see enough with my right to read now. This is a new developement for me... very exciting!

Elizabeth

Old 07-03-2005, 06:02 PM   #19
    mistysea

mistysea HB User
    Elizabeth

I'm SO glad to hear you are noticing improvements!! That is exciting. I hope to share in your excitement with the right eye improving! I even wrote down the medicine you were taking in case it could help me. I keep praying for my vision to keep improving. Maybe I need to do some eye exercises since I haven't seen with my own eyes since before 2nd grade. Wonder if that has anything at all to do with it. I have a ton of notes written for the surgeon, so she'll be busy with me for a while. Hope she has a good holiday and is refreshed to deal with me on Tuesday. Prayers for us and others too keep noticing POSITIVE improvements!!

Old 07-05-2005, 02:22 PM   #20
    elizab3th
    (female)

elizab3th HB User

Mistysea,
    How did your scraping go today? My fingers are crossed for you!

Elizabeth

Old 07-06-2005, 01:39 PM   #21
    mistysea

mistysea HB User

I saw the surgeon yesterday, she thinks since my eyes were more hydrated than others, it caused the laser to take less tissue than planned and that is why I still have a refractive error in both eyes. The refractive error is generally the same now, which would make sense, I suppose. Also, the cells will be removed on Friday to see if that clears up the bending of light that I see, since it doesn't go away with refraction. I have to wait for an enhancement, since you shouldn't have one before 3 months and even then they want to be sure you are stable in your vision before they do anything. SO, I will have to get glasses in the mean time to keep my sanity. It's ok though. As long as everything can be fixed, it's just fine.

I'm nervous about the cells being scraped, but I know God will see me through it all and all will be ok. Just nervous. Asked for 2 valium instead of one, they lauged at me. How mean?

Has anyone here had an enhancement? Were you thrilled with your results? Have you noticed much regression or is the second time a charm?

Thank you, Elizabeth, for worrying about me! We're both out here praying for each other to be loving our new vision!!! I'm so glad you are noticing more improvements!!!!

Old 07-06-2005, 03:11 PM   #22
    elizab3th
    (female)

elizab3th HB User

Good to hear that at least the docs know what went wrong, but what a bummer that you have to get glasses again... I think I would go nuts! Looking back I don't know how I tolerated wearing them every day. At least things can be fixed and that is all that really matters, maybe even with the scraping it will help. (When I had my surgery done, I asked for 2 Ativan and they gave them to me. When I asked for the 3rd, they cut me off though!) Good luck Friday, I'll be thinking of you!!!

Elizabeth

This is your guardian angel to take with you Friday!

Old 07-10-2005, 06:44 AM   #23
    mistysea

mistysea HB User

Elizabeth, Thank you for my guardian angel! I truly believe prayer works, so every little bit helps! How is your eye doing today? The flap lift went perfect, Thank God!!! and all the cells are now cleaned out according to the surgeon and I can't see them in the mirror anymore either. Thank God for that too, because it freaked me out to see them. She said to give it two weeks before we judge anything and she'll do another topography. I'm now back to steriod and antibiotic drops and sleeping with goggles again. How long were you instructed to use the drops post-lasik? I'm praying that the cell removal will indeed clear up the backwards c and then I'll make the decision about an enhancement (with enough corneal thickness) to have both to 20/20, monovision or leaving well enough alone. I know that for my mental health, having the bending light gone will be fantastic! That was something that was not an issue prior to surgery, so having residual refractive error I can deal with, not something new that wasn't going away with refraction. SO...God and time will heal this and I will make my decision from there. Thank you for your prayers!!!!

Old 07-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #24
    elizab3th
    (female)

elizab3th HB User

mistysea... glad to hear that the flap thing went well and that it seems to help. My vision continues to slowly improve day by day. I think I am going to be one of those people that take 6 months to heal. As long as it does heal, I don't really care if it takes 6 months. I can function at the point that I am now at, so I am pleased. elizabeth

Old 07-12-2005, 08:46 PM   #25
    mistysea

mistysea HB User

I feel the same way, I don't care if it takes the full 6 months as long as I come out the other side seeing! For a few moments here and there, I feel I can see. Most of the time though it's fuzzy and I have some double vision. Tonight I can make out some stars, but there are too many moons. I can see the computer screen clearly, which is helpful, since I've been reading so much on the internet about eyes. We are going to be so versed in Lasik, we'll be able to hold seminars soon! I pray all here with any troubles notice daily improvements. Even if they are slight, daily improvements will lead to clearer vision and that's all any of us wanted in the first place. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Old 07-18-2005, 02:27 PM   #26
    mistysea

mistysea HB User

Elizabeth, Just wondering how you are feeling/healing. Take care.

Old 07-25-2005, 03:45 PM   #27
    elizab3th
    (female)

elizab3th HB User

Mistysea, still healing slowly. I go back on August 9 for my 3 month check, and they'll tell me then if I still need to have the skin peeled, or an enhancement or what. Thanks for caring, and I hope you are doing well!
    Elizabeth

Old 07-25-2005, 05:10 PM   #28
    mistysea

mistysea HB User

Elizabeth, I can't remember where for sure, but I'm pretty sure I read something similar to what you are going through at ask lasik docs. I think it was in the flap complications part, but not sure. I'm sorry, I've read SO much lately I could almost do surgery! I went today for my two week follow up after my flap lift. I complained about an increase in floaters, but she says that is all fine. She also said I actually taught HER something. She usually does the cell cleaning and any corrective surgery at the same time. Well I almost forced her into doing the cell cleaning first, with her thinking I was nuts, I'm sure. My refraction went from -2.50 +2.50 x 90 in the right eye to -1.75! I'm SO glad I made her clean the cells first because can you imagine the mess I'd be in if she'd waited to do both at the same time! She is going to a conference next week and said she will be sure to bring this up! SOO Thank God I didn't lift the flap for nothing and Thank God this will help other people be more happy with their Lasik outcomes. I did also get a script from her for glasses while I wait to have the enhancement. She offered me disposable contacts for free and I just couldn't picture myself dealing with contacts after all this! Glasses at least make some sort of sense, right? I mean, I won't even touch my eyelid now, for fear of the flap, let alone put my finger in my eye to fish out a contact! Anyway, I am still praying for all of us here to be blessed with vision we love! Keep in touch!

Old 08-17-2005, 11:27 AM   #29
    ak_eyes
    (male)

ak_eyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elizab3th
    Mistysea, still healing slowly. I go back on August 9 for my 3 month check, and they'll tell me then if I still need to have the skin peeled, or an enhancement or what. Thanks for caring, and I hope you are doing well!
    Elizabeth
    hi elizabeth...

I think I am in a situation very much similar to the one you went through after lasik...I am 24...I had lasik done on Aug 2nd for my left and Aug 4th for my right

these are my pre-op readings...R: -3.75-0.75 X85....L: -3.50-0.75 X135
    I did Wave front lasik

Like you, it did not take long .before my left eye became 20/20, perfectly clear as the doc checked on 13th Aug. Right eye has astimagtism....it has been 14 days since my Right eye is operated on. right now...if I close my left eye only...my right eye can see the letter on the key and screen but they looked smirched...

I really hope this astig/blurred vision clears...
    pls share your thoughts with me and keep in contact here...

Old 08-22-2005, 09:27 PM   #30
    myope33

myope33 HB User

Mistysea, you sound familiar! You must post on other forums? I am glad the backward C bending has been addressed. How is your presbyopia issue addressed? You might need reading glasses or soon if you remove all myopia. This is just something to consider deciding on an enhancement. Trade near vision for distance vision

Closed Thread