It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• MD prescribed Seroquel but I am not schizophrenic?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2005, 10:05 PM   #31
    katkat01
    (female)

katkat01 HB User
    Re: MD prescribed Seroquel but I am not schizophrenic?

i posted this somewhere else but seroquel is a weirdo drug. and funny someone mentionned the weird dreams!!! i dont remember if i had them while on seroquel but when i forgot to take it i had the craziest dreams that made it hard to distinguish them from reality when i woke up. weird. and seroquel made me a zombie.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2005, 10:53 AM   #32
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

emogrip- Thanks for responding. I did some research on Seroquel and other atypical anti-psychotics for their use in treating anxiety disorders, and the research kind of convinced me that these meds aren't something I want to get involved with. I'm glad they're helping you, and I think they probably work best for people with panic disorder, which I don't have. My panic attacks are of the situational/OCD/phobic kind, and I've lived with them ever since I was three. They're miserable, but if I have to take another medication to get rid of them other than my Zoloft, I think I'll just keep on living with them. I get them sooo frequently that I honestly think that I'd worry about not having a panic attack in a certain situation, which has happened once or twice before! My main problem is my OCD, which the Zoloft does seem to help a lot with. Obviously, it doesn't cure it, and neither will my CBT, but they'll help me learn how to deal with managing my obsessions. Still, I read about the side effects of the atypical anti-psychotics, and I wasn't pleased. One side effect of practically all anti-manic drugs is weight gain- one of my obsessions concerns my weight. I'm not anorexic, and I'm at a healthy weight, but I don't want to gain weight because I fear that I'll get heart disease and/or diabetes (comes from the future cardiologist/doctor in me, I guess). I also read that these meds have a high instance of a person developing diabetes, which I certainly don't want to have. Naturally, these things are better to deal with than mania or schizophrenia, but I just don't think I want to take a drug that isn't meant to be used for anxiety. I think it's great that there's another option out there to treat people for anxiety disorders, but I think I'm going to stay clear of it. Thanks again for writing back, though, and I sincerely hope that your Seroquel helps you overcome your panic. God bless!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 08-19-2005 at 10:56 AM.

Old 08-21-2005, 12:51 PM   #33
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

I just started on seroquel and was taken off of risperdal. My doctor said that seroquel is not supposed to cause weight gain, whereas risperdal does (no chocolate was safe at home with me and my risperdal). But since the amphetamines for my ADD were making me look anorexic, it all balanced out.

My doctor also explained (and I did research in academic journals to back it up) that the anti-psychotics used to treat schizophrenia have recently been found to be effective for anxiety when taken in small doses.

I haven't noticed the dreams yet, but I just started, and it also replaced the Trazadone I was taking, which was giving me nightmares.

With all of these effects, my doctor always asks, "Did you have this problem/symptom before?" Frequently when I give it serious thought, I did have at least a mild version of the side effect. But I still worry that the mild symptom could become permanently worsened by the medication that brings on the effect in a stronger way.

Right now I really want to go to the beach (less than 2 miles away), and I can't make myself do it.

Last edited by seriousperson; 08-21-2005 at 12:52 PM.

Old 08-28-2005, 11:09 PM   #34
    bipolarone
    (female)

bipolarone HB User

HI everyone
    I had the dreams before I started taking seroquel but only during my "open" periods..usually as i was coming down from my mania and before i got too depressed I felt like i was one with the universe. Now I take seroquel at 300 mg per night and yes the dreams have returned. I started out on the smaller dosage and it didnt make me as sleepy the next day but after being hospitalized I have been on a higher dosage. Please dont be afraid to take your medicine. I am a small framed person and I am taking over 100% your prescribed dosage and i havent had any side effects to date. Other than the dreams that I have had before. The only thing I am missing now is the poetry. Before I fell into deep depression i would write poetry for days mostly about the dreams.

Old 10-28-2005, 05:03 PM   #35
    MissPrizzie
    (female)

MissPrizzie HB User

I just wanted to add that I have had "the dreams" on and off all of my life. Very vivid, very long dreams that seem more like full length movies. Most of the time I am traveling with a group of people and finding new places. The thing is these dreams are very uncomfortable--not exactly nightmares--just really bothersome as when I wake up I feel exhausted from them. I have had this happen with many different psychiatric meds I have tried over time ( I've been "depressed" most of my life and also have suffered anxiety--mostly in the form of social phobia. I also have post traumatic stress from a bad situation when I was little. Now, two months ago, I've been diagnosed as BiPolar II. After some med adjustments, I am now on Depakote, Effexor and Seroquel. The vivid dreams have returned and I am not happy about it--they are just so dark and strange--they ALWAYS make me feel "icky" and more depressed.

I really think there is a link between depression or BPD and dreams. Or with the REM stage of sleep in which we have dreams. Maybe too much dreaming causes psych. problems or the other way around--but I know there is a certain connection--I have heard too many people talk about it and have the exact same experiences.

I wish I could get rid of these dreams. I have even asked the Dr. if there was anything to make me stop dreaming.

Too much REM sleep is also linked to Narcolepsy because you are not going through all the stages of sleep--especially the deep sleep in which there are not supposed to be dreams at all. Getting stuck in REM can exhaust a person and lead to chronic fatique--and I'm sure many other problems. There really should be studies that investigate the relationship of REM Sleep (dreaming sleep) and psychiatric disorders.

Gotta wait and see how this seroquel is going to work. I was confused too about getting an anti-psychotic med. but, I do have some paranoid thinking.

Best, Anne

Old 11-14-2005, 07:54 AM   #36
    poetprose
    (female)

poetprose HB User

I took seroquel while in a bipolor manic physcotic peranoid state, it helped me through a very rough manic episode...it is a good med

you do not have to be Schizphrenic to take seroquel

Old 01-19-2006, 05:02 PM   #37
    POKERQUEEN
    (female)

POKERQUEEN HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElizabethLost
    Hey everyone.

I'm a female in my mid twenties who has been suffering w/ depression for almost one year. It was mainly brought on due to a relationship that has completely taken over my life. Long, long story.

Anyway, I was at rock bottom a few weeks ago and debating suicide when I decided to go get help. I made an appointment w/ a psychologist who diagnosed me as severely depressed, body dysmorphic and pathologically jealous. In turn, the MD prescribed me 50 mg of Zoloft along w/ 25 mg Seroquel even though she said I was not schizophrenic. She said the Seroquel will diminish my extreme paranoia and body dysmorphia. I do not hallucinate or hear voices but I have very distorted thoughts obviously and it's ruining my life.

Anyway, I have been taking my meds like a good girl. I am no longer suicidal and the Zoloft has taken the edge off of my depression. I am continuing therapy as well so I won't have to be medicated forever. I was very afraid to take the Seroquel so I ended up halfing it. I took it along w/ a 1/2 of a .5 xanax (doctor's orders) and was sleepy within 20 minutes. The Doctor got onto me and told me I needed to take one whole seroquel at night for now and she would probably be upping my dosage to 3 or 4 per night. So, I tried taking a whole one and whoa... those dreams! I had the most craziest, vivid dreams ever! I honestly couldn't distinguish what had really happened and what was a dream until about an hour after I woke up. I also could barely drag myself outta bed and had a splitting migraine. Needless to say, I am now just taking a 1/2 of Seroquel.

Is anyone else on Seroquel that isn't exactly Schizophrenic but just extremely paranoid or body dysmorphic?

Please respond.

Elli

Old 01-19-2006, 05:43 PM   #38
    POKERQUEEN
    (female)

POKERQUEEN HB User

Hi, AND WOW!!!!!!
    All of you are on only 25 mgs of Seroquel? I am not Schisophrenic either, I am in my early 30's and have severe anxiety and depression. My Psychiatrist started me on 50mgs of seroquel at bedtime along with .5 mgs of klonopin twice a day. Then he upped my Seroquel to 100mgs at bedtime along with my .5 mgs of klonopin twice a day. Now I am on 50 mgs of Seroquel in the AFTERNOON, 100 mgs of seroqiuel at bedtime, and he upped my klonopin to 1mg twice a day.
    I have never had such an expreince as what I have on the seroquel. I actuallly sometimes have 2 or 3 comepletely different dreams at the same exact time. One could be a nightmare and the other an awesome dream, boith simutaneously! I told my doc about this and he said, he never heard of that, and thought it was kind of interesting. My dreams are also very vivid. At first when I was taking it, it would also make me to where I would be wide awake, but when I shut my eyes, couldnt open them...Would take everything I had to do so, then they would have to roll into the back of my head before I could focus again. My doc has told me he is going to keep upping the dosage of my seroquel little by little until I reach the maximum dose of 800 MGS!!!
    Needless to say, I also have a shoulder injury which I am supposed to be taking naproxin 500 mgs,flexerall 10 mgs, and vicodin 5/500 mgs, which I cannot take sometimes because of the seroquel. Half the time I am a total zombie because i have to take all of them, and if not a zombie then dead asleep in the middle of the day lol..
    I do feel though that the seroquel is helping me because I don't have all the emotional pain when I am on it usually, expeccailly not mixed with everything else i am taking.
    But when I reach the maximum dose of 800 mgs a day he is planning on putting me on something else also, along with that and the klonopin..OMG I am gonna be worse than a zombie, but i guess its better to be drugged up and alive, then comepletely off the meds and suicidal and dead.
    I have also learned some coping skills which help with the depression:
    When you are full of pain and depressed, and feel like crying your eyes out, step out of the situation, close your eyes and concentrate on nothing but your breathing, relaxing yourself from head to toe, working your way through each body part, let thoughts go through your mind and pass, but go back to concentrating on your breathing and relaxing, pretending your in a place like the ocean or somewhere you would love to be. It is very hard to do sometimes, but you have to dicipline yourself to do this. Put the problem aside until you are strong enough to face it head on. Keep doing this until you dont feel as much like crying anymore, Then keep yourself busy doing something you like to do, putting all of your focus on the project at hand. If you keep doing this and practicing this, the pain will become less and less as time goes on. Praying can't hurt either, whether you believe or not. I hope I helped someone out there with this. But I know all to well what a battle depression can be, and the fortunate ones that dont have it, most of the time do not really understand what it's like.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElizabethLost
    Hey everyone.

I'm a female in my mid twenties who has been suffering w/ depression for almost one year. It was mainly brought on due to a relationship that has completely taken over my life. Long, long story.

Anyway, I was at rock bottom a few weeks ago and debating suicide when I decided to go get help. I made an appointment w/ a psychologist who diagnosed me as severely depressed, body dysmorphic and pathologically jealous. In turn, the MD prescribed me 50 mg of Zoloft along w/ 25 mg Seroquel even though she said I was not schizophrenic. She said the Seroquel will diminish my extreme paranoia and body dysmorphia. I do not hallucinate or hear voices but I have very distorted thoughts obviously and it's ruining my life.

Anyway, I have been taking my meds like a good girl. I am no longer suicidal and the Zoloft has taken the edge off of my depression. I am continuing therapy as well so I won't have to be medicated forever. I was very afraid to take the Seroquel so I ended up halfing it. I took it along w/ a 1/2 of a .5 xanax (doctor's orders) and was sleepy within 20 minutes. The Doctor got onto me and told me I needed to take one whole seroquel at night for now and she would probably be upping my dosage to 3 or 4 per night. So, I tried taking a whole one and whoa... those dreams! I had the most craziest, vivid dreams ever! I honestly couldn't distinguish what had really happened and what was a dream until about an hour after I woke up. I also could barely drag myself outta bed and had a splitting migraine. Needless to say, I am now just taking a 1/2 of Seroquel.

Is anyone else on Seroquel that isn't exactly Schizophrenic but just extremely paranoid or body dysmorphic?

Please respond.

Elli

Old 05-03-2006, 08:51 AM   #39
    yakima
    (male)

yakima HB User

Hi

I have Bipolar Mood Disorder after I suffered from depression and anxiety. I've been on several different medications, Zoloft, Prozac, Remeron, Topomax etc but we could not find a suitable combination.

I became extremely aggressive and agitated. Everyone was too afraid to speak to me.

I went to a new psychiatrist who changed one of my drugs to Seroquel. I consider Seroquel a "miracle drug". I changed my life completely literally within days. I'm on 100mg per day as well as on Efexor 150mg and Lamictin 200mg per day.

I hardly ever dreamt and for the first few months on Seroquel I didn't dream either. But when it started it was with a vengeance. I have nothing short of night terrors. All my dreams are very dark and sinister. For the first time people die in my dreams. I also find it very real and there have been times where I think back to an event and wonder if I dreamt it or not. It is very real and therefore very upsetting, even when I wake up.

But if I must choose between the dreams and the other positive effects of Seroquel, I'll live with my dreams.

As for having psychic dreams? If my dreams have to come true there'll be havoc!

We did try 200mg at some point but then I couldn't get out of bed or do my daily tasks. I wanted to fall asleep all day.

As for being a drug for psychosis, one finds that many drugs helping for one disorder also help for another. So I would not worry about being on Seroquel but not schizophrenic. For example, many people with anxiety take anti-epileptic drugs.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:14 AM   #40
    Flipmedium
    (male)

Flipmedium HB User

Hey sparkling dreams I dont have schizophenia but I do have very intense dreams that do seem to true which is actually what brought me to this sight. I just had the wierdest dream it was scary....I had schizophrenia---It was long and progressive one part of it I was in a maze of mirrors attempting to get out each one showing a different reflection of me and every time i thought i was getting out I ran into them toward the end of the dream I was speaking with a completly different voice and I asked the people around me "am I speaking a different voice" in a paniced manner and they just looked at me like and were scared then repeated help me twice and then woke up.

If thats not weird I dont know what is What do you guys think? Because I have vivid dreams and this one about schizophrenia does that mean I may have it?

Closed Thread