It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• preparing for accutane... anyone who's on it, plez take a look

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
    california1
    (male)

california1 HB User
    preparing for accutane... anyone who's on it, plez take a look

**a little intro (you can skip this if you want, get to the meat at the bottom)**

hopefully, very soon i will be on accutane. my doctor is serious about prescribing it. for the first time in a looong time i am genuinly excited about something. for the first time in a long time i'm hopeful that i will be able to enjoy life without meticulously maintaining my skin (a 24/7 job, as many of you may know).

i do not have violent, severe acne, but instead the mild yet verrrry persistive kind that no matter what i do, no matter how i maintain my skin - there's always something. once in a blue moon i will enjoy a week long stretch where my skin is ALMOST completely clear. my blemishes form deep within the skin, and hardly ever make it to the surface (by itself..i can force it out by squeezing - no good). so they stick around FOREVER.. or i have to deal with the results of my self-mutilation...taking a week off from life to let my mangled skin repair itself.

at any rate, after quite a few different types of medications and creams, i'm ready for a more permanent solution. something kick *** and powerful that will totally beat up on these pimples. accutane. there is hope.

i've read a lot about accutane on this board and i want to say thanks to everyone who's ever posted about it.. chances are i've read your comments. everything is helpful.

**the meat**

what are good ways to prepare for accutane? is it possible to get a head start on battling side effects such as dry skin, lips, rash, etc?

what moisturizers, lip balms, chap sticks, etc works for you?

is there a specific diet can help accutane run it's course?

thanks to all who respond, and please feel free to add anything else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
    california1
    (male)

california1 HB User
    Re: preparing for accutane... anyone who's on it, plez take a look

thanks for looking!

Old 08-22-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Hi California,

I was on accutane and have experienced amazing results. It was seriously the only thing that ever worked for me and I only wish I had taken it a lot sooner (I went on it at age 25). The only issues I had were very dry skin, slightly dry eyes, and a dry nose. I ditched all harsh cleansers and used only cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer. I used vaseline in my nose (sounds nasty but works wonderfully if you have this problem on accutane). I used different kinds of lip balm and they all seemed to work well (but aquaphor was the best). If you have any questions, I feel like an accutane pro and I can let you know what I went through. Good luck california!

Old 08-27-2005, 10:56 AM   #4
    pooche

pooche HB User

[I was wondering if you could give me an update on your accutane journey. I was on it about 1 1/2 ago to clear up my acne and mine sounds like it was like yours. I had pretty mild acne but little bumps on my face that just seemed to always stick around. Everybody would tell me that I was crazy and that you could hardly even see them but it drove me crazy. So I took 40mg of Accutane for 3 1/2 months. I stopped early, I should of went on for 5 months but my hair was getting thin and it was scaring me. Realy it was no big deal I think I just got scared.

Now I've been perscribed another course because I did not take the first one long enough. My acne is still mild even more compared to last time but it's like I just want to get ride of it. Plus I'm so tierd of using topical. But just to let you know that Accutane was still the best thing I have ever done so don't be scared and you can do it. It's all worth it.

Good Luck, give me an update I would like that.

Old 08-27-2005, 02:55 PM   #5
    BluEyez1031
    Veteran
    (female)

BluEyez1031 HB User

I absolutely HATED being on Accutane. It made my skin severly dry, and made my face break out horribly the first 4 1/2 months. After that, my skin did get clearer once I my prescribed time period was over, and that lasted for a couple months. Then I started to break out again.

Now, I rarely get breakouts, and this is simply because I use a very gentle skin care routine: mild face cleanser twice a day and spot treatment when I need it.

Good luck with Accutane, hopefully you have more luck than I did!

Old 08-30-2005, 08:10 AM   #6
    california1
    (male)

california1 HB User

haha, i posted this thread just 10 days ago =) i have not yet been prescribed. tomorrow i visit the doctor again and i'm really hoping to get it. from what ive heard the doc tends not to prescribe accutane...but i've been a long time patient and nothing has ever worked to completely clear up my skin. i am excited.

( removed - please read and follow the posting rules - no personal websites )

Last edited by moderator2; 08-30-2005 at 09:47 AM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules - no personal websites

Old 08-30-2005, 09:27 AM   #7
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Good luck, California. Hope you get what you want.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:59 PM   #8
    california1
    (male)

california1 HB User

well thank you everyone who's been sharing kind words... this morning i got my prescription for accutane - 40mg. my course begins as soon as the lab results on my blood test are in... soooo that means i could be taking my first pill on friday. =)

Closed Thread