It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• High Cholesterol-You Must Read this!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2005, 03:03 PM   #16
    Rosemary44
    (female)

Rosemary44 HB User
    Re: High Cholesterol-You Must Read this!

I wish I knew what kind of hold those drug companies have on Dr.s???

I was listening to some testimony in the Vioxx case and they went on and on about drug companies pushing their product on Dr.s then checking with drug stores to see if the prescriptions are being written??? That's what they said in sworn testimony.

What do Drug companies do? Threaten to take their first borns? My Cardio is always pushing a drug on me, take a higher statin, take this and that. When I look around his office, I see ads for those drugs he's pushing on me, all over the exam rooms. Do they think we are that stupid???

I didn't take his new drug, nor did I up my statin to a higher dosage...I dieted instead. I added foods I never ate before and took some out. I lowered every number and added to the good numbers.

I'd love to know the hold...new car?...vacation...what?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2005, 03:25 PM   #17
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rosemary44
    When I look around his office, I see ads for those drugs he's pushing on me, all over the exam rooms. Do they think we are that stupid???
    Yes, I think they do, and unfortunately too many people are.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:45 PM   #18
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rosemary44
    I wish I knew what kind of hold those drug companies have on Dr.s???

I was listening to some testimony in the Vioxx case and they went on and on about drug companies pushing their product on Dr.s then checking with drug stores to see if the prescriptions are being written??? That's what they said in sworn testimony.

What do Drug companies do? Threaten to take their first borns? My Cardio is always pushing a drug on me, take a higher statin, take this and that. When I look around his office, I see ads for those drugs he's pushing on me, all over the exam rooms. Do they think we are that stupid???

I didn't take his new drug, nor did I up my statin to a higher dosage...I dieted instead. I added foods I never ate before and took some out. I lowered every number and added to the good numbers.

I'd love to know the hold...new car?...vacation...what?

This past winter I saw a special either on 20/20 or Primetime, where they filmed, undercover, a convention of Pfizer's. Some drs. wouldn't talk or even be seen on camera, but others spoke openly about the benefits from these companies. One dr. got a brand new car for his son cause it was his 16th B-day, then they spoke of vacations, and many other "goodies" they get.

My husband's cardio man told us he went to one convention, and it was his first and last. Like he tells us, if the QUALITY of your life is being strained due to side effects of a drug, then U shouldn't be taking it. He prescribes statins for his patients, but like he told us, if they do poorly on them, forget it, he tries other means.

Yup, I agree there are benefits for alot of these drs., and yes, I think they not only feel we are dumb, but have a God like attitude, they are 100% right, and U are 100% wrong.

Glad U were able to do the diet changes to lower your numbers, that is what I have been trying to do. This last time it went well, but who knows next time, but I still am not taking them, been there, done that, and suffered. For those that can handle them fine, but for many of us, it isn't worth it.

Last edited by JJ; 08-26-2005 at 03:47 PM.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:27 PM   #19
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

JJ, i saw that special as well. It was very interesting.I won't ever take a statin. My grandmother took zorcor and now is suffering memory loss. She use to be so good about remembering things. She use to be able to do the tv guide puzzle w/o any trouble.

It's sad to see so many messed up behind drs and drug companies. Even my mom had trouble with memory and other things with lipitor. Her memory came back but she now walks with a cane.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:45 PM   #20
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lane413
    JJ, i saw that special as well. It was very interesting.I won't ever take a statin. My grandmother took zorcor and now is suffering memory loss. She use to be so good about remembering things. She use to be able to do the tv guide puzzle w/o any trouble.

It's sad to see so many messed up behind drs and drug companies. Even my mom had trouble with memory and other things with lipitor. Her memory came back but she now walks with a cane.
    That was a great special they did and I think it woke quite a few people up to what is going on. Sorry to hear about your grandma and mom, I really feel for them. Hubby now has PN (peripheral neuropathy), and it isn't all from the diabetes, as it came on before he got diabetes. I see what he goes thru and it breaks my heart, as many nites if he doesn't take his meds. to kill the pain early, he is up half the nite. His feet are getting so numb, he can step on things and not even realize it, or U can step on his feet and he will never feel it, such a shame.

When he was on Lipitor, he had a lil case of impaired memory, but mostly he had an attitude. Things that he normally would not even let bother him all of a sudden starting bugging him, plus he developed a very short temper. I wish I knew back then what I know now, as neither of us would have taken statins. A friend of mine asked me what problems we had on statins, as her hubby was on Lipitor for 2 years, and all of a sudden she said he got short tempered, snotty and also seemed to forget too easily, and they are younger then us. She made the dr. take him off, and now he is back to his own self. I know there are folks who take them with lil or no problems, but they I believe are the minority, most folks seem to develop problems. Oh well, what is done is done, so now like U, we just have to do the best we can and hope things will not get any worse.

Take care, and my very best to all your family.....

Old 08-27-2005, 05:43 AM   #21
    BarbJ
    (female)

BarbJ HB User

I know everyone notices all the commercials when they quickly list ALL the side effects, it's not to warn us, it's to protect THEIR you know whats from law suits, like we are forewarned. So if you take it, and something happens it protects them from law suits...how sneaky of them... they know their drugs will cause more harm than good... I always wonder, who invented the cholesterol tests, and where did they get the numbers from???? I bet it has something to do with the drug companies!!!

Old 09-01-2005, 12:20 PM   #22
    parketi
    (male)

parketi HB User

More doctors should look into using the advanced cholesterol tests that are available on the market. These tests are a beter indicator of risk of heart disease but doctors seem to be unwilling to use these tests as a standard because they lack knowledge on how to read the results. I would suggest asking your doctor about having one of these tests done. Two examples of these tests are the VAP test and NMR LipoProfile.

Old 09-01-2005, 07:50 PM   #23
    heart44
    Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BarbJ
    Re: I always wonder, who invented the cholesterol tests,
    and where did they get the numbers from????
    Not sure who invented the first cholesterol test, but here's a little history about cholesterol.........

Back in the 1950's Ansel Keyes proposed the Lipid Hypothesis which is now the basis for nearly all (presumably) heart-healthy diets. Keyes discovered that margarine (of all things) lowered LDL cholesterol and was actually good for us..... YUK ! So, Keyes was the guy that zeroed in on cholesterol.

Then in the1960's Dr Kilmer McCully concluded that homocysteine was the main cause of arteriosclerosis , but his views contradicted the now ingrained theory that dietary cholesterol and fat were to blame. Homocysteine has pretty much been ignored until recently.

Early 1970's, Dr Akira Endo and Dr Masao Kuroda of Tokyo, Japan started their research on statin drugs. Mid 1970's Merck started it all my marketing lovastatin. And the rest is history.

And where did the numbers come from?
    In 2001 the Adult Treatment Panel III (ATP III) Guidelines were issued. Then, several statin therapy clinical trials took place and the guideline were revised in 2004, especially for "high risk" patients. Their recommendations? "the lower - the better". Basically, many scientists spend endless hours trying to make our lives miserable and the drug companies are right their offering their support.

Old 09-01-2005, 07:52 PM   #24
    heart44
    Inactive

heart44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by parketi
    More doctors should look into using the advanced cholesterol tests that are available on the market. Two examples of these tests are the VAP test and NMR LipoProfile.
    Re: VAP
    VAP does not include: hs-CRP (high sensitivity C-Reactive Protein) or Homocysteine. You need to request these tests separately.

Closed Thread