It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• MY eyes getting worse

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-31-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
    IwishIwereaman
    (female)

IwishIwereaman HB User
    MY eyes getting worse

I got lasik in December of 2001 4 yrs ago...My sight was perfect, and I luved it..greatest money I'd ever spent...I can still see pretty good..but it is getting worse. I am not sure why. I do smoke, maybe thats why. But I am only 25 yrs old. I had my surgery in NV, and am now in IL, so I couldn't even go back to same doctor if I wanted to (plus he's gone) .. soo any ideas why its getting worse years later. My boyfriend has perfect vision, and I cannot see anywher near what he sees. I also have terrible night vision..When driving I can hardly see if there is any lights distracting me. It sucks..I can tell I gonna need glasses again. GRRRR

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2005, 03:34 PM   #2
    riddick
    (male)

riddick HB User
    Re: MY eyes getting worse

Regression does happen. I highly doubt that it has anything to do with the smoking. Your perscription may change over your lifetime...and there isn't a thing that your original Lasik operation would have been able to do about that. Some people are fortunate enough to have corneas capable of "enhancements". For those with thin corneas that are incapable of having another Lasik procedure for the correction, glasses/contacts may be inevitable...unless something new comes along. Hopefully you are a candidate for a touch-up.

Old 08-31-2005, 05:55 PM   #3
    myope33

myope33 HB User

Smoking is bad in so many other ways but this is another topic entirely and has nothing to do with lasik. What happened was you regressed. This probably would have happened anyway with or without lasik. What was your preoperative glasses pescription? What is your pescription now? Whats your visual accuracy now? If your still driving without glasses, it might be 20/40. You could get enhanced but this is another risks and more expenses for what is now a very low pescription. Id probably wait a few years to make sure your eyes stabalize. If you had bad vision before lasik, what you have now is still far better

Old 09-01-2005, 08:21 AM   #4
    IwishIwereaman
    (female)

IwishIwereaman HB User

Yes, my vision definetly not as bad as it was prior to my surgery. I don't even have eye insurance to find out what my vision is now. So, I will just have to wait to see if it gets much worse. Thanks for the words both of you.

Old 09-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #5
    myope33

myope33 HB User

cant you get an eye exam at your eye center? A such exam is inexpensive, only about $50 bucks. If your worse than 20/40 you might need driving glasses. My brother is 20/70 in the better eye but he only uses glasses to drive. He and you are functional without 24/7 glasses dependancy. You are welcome

Old 09-11-2005, 04:21 PM   #6
    BooYeah
    (female)

BooYeah HB User
    Angry Re: MY eyes getting worse

I relate! I had Lasik surgery performed in March of 2002 (I was 23). My RX before the surgery was -2.50 (left) -1.50 (right). I came out of surgery seeing 20/15 and was so excited! That lasted for maybe one week. I was seeing between 20/30 - 20/40 6 months after.

Now, three years post-op I am back in glasses. -1.00 in both eyes. My night vision still sux. I always wondered if this is normal after Lasik to have such a regression?! My eye doc says yes. I am a healthy person, do not smoke, exercise regularly. The only thing I could possibly think of is herbs and vitamins causing my eyes to return to the way they were. I am bummed because I know contacts are just around the corner again. Lasik was such a tease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-13-2005, 07:06 AM   #7
    IwishIwereaman
    (female)

IwishIwereaman HB User

HA, sorry booyah. Tease is a good word!! From high, to low. good luck. I take vitamins, don't think that cutting it, but they can't hurt nothing. Maybe some kerotene or something, I think thats good for eyes. There is supposed to be work outs u can do for ur eye muscles to make them better. Like you have to work ur regular muscles to get full potential..well..its worth a shot i guess..good luck

Old 09-14-2005, 11:47 AM   #8
    myope33

myope33 HB User

hey booyeah, if your only -1 you should be 20/40 if not better and able to do everything including drive without glasses. You can always get an enhancement. If you do so, maybe wavefront prk? Many people experience regression, some after years. Your eyes would have gotten worse anyway with or without lasik. -1 really is a very mild pescription, my brother is that with mild astigmastim and almost never wears glasses. Lasik has worked for millions. Not everyone ends up with perfect vision at any time period. The lasik ADs I read say "an option to reduce your dependancy on glasses* they never at any time claim perfect vision. Many do get perfect vision however but everyone becomes alot less dependant on glasses, exactly the objective lasik was designed to do!

You could also leave your -1 pescription alone so you dont end up needing reading glasses in middle age. I am -5 and half blind without glasses. Everything more than 9" becomes blurry so I only read and eat without glasses(and shower and sleep but thats obvious lol) I would LOOOOOOVE to be a -1 again! That was my first glasses pescription back at 12 and there was hardly any blur! When/if I get lasik, my goal is to have 20/100 vision or better, correctable to 20/25 or better. I also dont want to be overcorrected or experience other adverse effects. I dont mind some undercorrection because of the presbyopia issue plus I do alot of computer work

Closed Thread