It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Help Please, a myth about Asians and High Cholesterol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2005, 02:37 PM   #1
    happycow
    (female)

happycow HB User
    Help Please, a myth about Asians and High Cholesterol

Hi,

I just found out that I have high cholesterol and I was wondering if you could help clarify something for me.

I am a young, Asian woman and I heard a myth from a friend that Filipinos, Hawaiian, Japanese, ect. can have really high cholesterol, but that it's okay. I am not over weight and I do not eat unhealthy. Is this myth true? That if a Caucasian and an Asian both have high cholesterol, the Caucasian is in more danger of heart disease? My friend was telling me about how he has 300+ cholesterol but that he's healthy and that his family members such as grandparents have 300+ but they are healthy and 90 years old! Is it really because of ethnicity?

Thank you for clearing this up for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2005, 03:18 PM   #2
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
    Re: Help Please, a myth about Asians and High Cholesterol

Nope, I've never heard anything about this, so I can't really answer your question, although I'm quite skeptical about such a claim. As far as Caucasians are concerned, there are also plenty of them who have a family history of high cholesterol, yet manage to escape heart disease and live well into their nineties. As for gauging a person's risk, I think a person's family history is far more important than a cholesterol number. In fact, this whole cholesterol theory may turn out to be one big myth.

Last edited by ARIZONA73; 09-13-2005 at 03:22 PM.

Old 09-13-2005, 06:00 PM   #3
    Tobias
    Veteran
    (female)

Tobias HB User

Not myths:
    "Among Asian Americans/Pacific Islander women, high cholesterol rates are highest in Japanese women. But, all Asian American/Pacific Islander women have lower cholesterol screening rates. "
    http://www.4woman.gov/minority/asiancholesterol.cfm

"Asian American males have higher mortality rates due to stroke than white males."
    "Heart disease is the leading cause of death for this [AAPIs] group"
    "Hawaiians have the highest death rates due to heart disease...in America"
    "The limited number of Asian Americans who have their blood cholesterol checked indicates a gap in knowledge and access to information."
    Studies have indicated that of all Asian Americans, Japanese (both men & women) have the highest blood cholesterol (p. 19).
    These is only a smattering of information from this 64-page document. Have a look for yourself. It is from the National Heart, Lung & Blood Institute of NIH.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/prof/heart/other/aapibkgd/aapibkgd.pdf

Old 09-13-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Statistics aside, assuming that an Asian person walks into a doctor's office with a cholesterol reading of about 300, is he or she likely to be treated any different than anyone else? I doubt it. I don't think that doctors would consider them to be any different than anyone else, regardless of what their ethnic background is.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:35 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

It's not that Asians are not endangered when they have high cholesterol levels, it's that they generally have LOW cholesterol levels!
    So happycow's orginal question: "Is it a myth that
    Quote:
    Filipinos, Hawaiian, Japanese, ect. can have really high cholesterol, but that it's okay?"
    is properly answered with: "Yes, it's a myth"

Last edited by Lenin; 09-14-2005 at 05:36 AM.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:19 AM   #6
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

This is an alarming testimony to how bad american diets really are. In Okininawa the Asians live a very long life free of any of the illnesses we suffer from here...Lisa

Old 09-14-2005, 10:39 AM   #7
    heart44
    Inactive

heart44 HB User

One of the main problems is that Asians have been included in very few clinical trials, until recently.

UK and USA studies in the past 15 years have shown that people with South Asian ancestry tend to be more vulnerable to heart disease due to higher cholesterol levels than Caucasians BUT...... is their heart disease due to high cholesterol or high homocysteine? Do Asians get enough B vitamins in their diet?

Frankie

Old 09-20-2005, 10:35 PM   #8
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

thats interesting. i need to check that out. However, an interesting and true fact (from the cholesterol lowering drugs warnings/on the product information sheets, provided by the manufacturer) is that the group you mentioned is more suseptable to adverse reactions from cholesterol lowering. It could be, now that they are finding that it is the lowering of cholesterol , and not the medication itself, that cause the side effects, that the groups you mentioned require higher levels of cholesterol to keep their bodies functioning properly.

Closed Thread