It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• 1st post, 1st Time ever detoxing with opiods;personal profile information.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2005, 05:50 PM   #1
    TJOB3
    Inactive
    (male)

TJOB3 HB User
    1st post, 1st Time ever detoxing with opiods;personal profile information.

My fiance found this website for me. She is very involved in NA. We have both been snorting oxycontin for approximately 6 months, anywhere from 80mgs to 800mgs a day. For the last 2 months I would say I average 160mgs-200mgs a day. I've been using opiods for 1 year now. Before the oxycontin I was using morphine, percoset and vikodin, or whatever I can get. Since she works in the medical field, availability is easily assessible, and I went overboard. Now i'm addicted. I've cut down a lot, and I'm ready to detox. I'm so sick of O.C. controlling my life in every way, i'm sick and tired of counting pills, i'm sick of it all. I'm starting my detox Sept. 16. I will only take O.C. by mouth, I plan on doing this until Sunday, then I'm completely going to go cold turkey. My fiance will monitor me, however I asking the help of the board as well. I'm going to need help. I'm serious about this. This is it for me.

thank you,

tj

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 06:09 PM   #2
    TJOB3
    Inactive
    (male)

TJOB3 HB User
    Re: 1st post, 1st Time ever detoxing with opiods;personal profile information.

This is TJOB3 Fiance and I just read his post and I'll make the correction, before anyone else does,I USED TO BE VERY INVOLVED IN NA, and kick myself everyday for letting it go. I was clean for a year from opiods and could regret everyday I started up again, but I did and now I am done again, I have detoxed before and know a bit what to expect and I just need help and these boards because my job is not going to let me get to many meetings and I want to be able to help him. Thanks for all you guys can do,can anyone let me know what helped with there detox we have already titrated down a great deal, thanks to all

Old 09-15-2005, 10:00 PM   #3
    Arememom
    Inactive
    (female)

Arememom HB User

As your girlfriend knows, you are going to feel like shi... for about 4-5 days. Even with titrating when you totally stop it will happen. Sleep as much as you can, hot baths, massages for cramps, eat (even soup, crackers) as much as you can. You will not want to eat, but try. If you can't eat, drink fluids to keep from getting dehydrated. You will be irritatable, so be prepared. Try anything to be calm. Soothing light, music... Don't be alone at home. Someone needs to watch over you in case something were to happen and you need emergency help. I didn't understand - Are both of you detoxing together? Both titrating down until Sunday. Then both cold turkey after that? One should do it cold turkey and then the other. So one of you will be able to care for the other. I'll keep you both in my prayers. After detoxing, it's really important for you to go to NA (that's something you can do together) or alone. Having a strong support system is key to staying clean. I'm so happy that both of you are trying to get clean together. Unfortunately for me, my boyfriend chose to keep using. So I had to leave. It broke my heart. You guys sound like you really love each other and are willing to do this together.Take one day (minute) at time!!!!

Old 09-16-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
    TJOB3
    Inactive
    (male)

TJOB3 HB User

Thank you soooo much for responding.............it has started, he is going cold turkey as of this AM, and the yawns and chills have already kicked in, he has agreed to go to an NA meeting tonight, thats what helped me, but I know everybody is different, you dont know the difference you made with just your reply, I wish more people would reply, he has never done this before and this will be round 2 for me, I will still titrate until Monday and then go cold turkey, there is noooo way we can both go cold turkey together, who knows what would happen. Congrats on your clean t ime, I too am in the medical field and did this once and I am so mad I picked up again, I am sorry to hear about your boyfriend, just know wherever he is you are setting an example for him and the selfish side says, he freed up some of your time to make a differece in 2 peoples life today, you have no idea how much you helped with your post to us......I see you post on here often so dont be suprised if you hear from me a lot. You truly are a fresh breath of air and give me hope..

Old 09-16-2005, 03:42 PM   #5
    Chaswick
    Inactive
    (male)

Chaswick HB User

Hi TJOB3.

Congratulations for making this important decision. I would think that going c/t from 200mgs. of OC a day will be dificult to say the least.

Is it possible for you to go to your Dr., tell him/her what is going on and ask for help? There are medications that he can Rx that willat least help, your withdrawal. I know that Clonodine (a bp med.) is used by many. Some will Rx methadone and/or a benzo, but I don't think (and that is just my opinion) that those are not meds. that you want to take to try to stop another one.

There has been much written over the years about what you will need. I just happened by this board the other day and got wrapped up in 'Anxiety's' post then saw yours, so I am no expert in quitting meds..

But, some things have been suggested. Gatorade (and lots of water to stay hydrated - very important), Immodium, bananas, Benedryl (helps some with body aches) and others. You can check history for some of the posts.

Good luck with it!! If you do decide to see your Dr., know that what you are doing, while isn't something done by everyone, is something that he probably sees all the time. Most Dr.'s will help their patients as much as they can. They won't Rx more OC, but other meds..

Chaz

Old 09-16-2005, 04:02 PM   #6
    TJOB3
    Inactive
    (male)

TJOB3 HB User

CHAZ......Thanks soooo much for responding, I am in the medical field and am also going to detox, starting Monday, we have titrated wayyyyyyyy down from our 200mg a day, I called my Dr todau and have asked for a med for nausea and it also makes you tired, I really cant tell the DR, as I am in the medical field and really dont want this DR to know much about it, but from these boards I am learning what I need to ask for, I just want my life back and so does he, his b day is Sunday and I got him tickets for the Bucs game on Sunday and he is bound and determined to go, you guys have been sooooo much help, your posts are hoping a great deal.....I do have a benzo or 2 on hand just in case. ...PLEASE KEEP POSTING YOU GUYS..you are so much help

Old 09-16-2005, 04:29 PM   #7
    joanharvest
    (female)

joanharvest HB User

My son is 8 months clean from snorting OXY's and heroin. He switched to heroin because it was cheaper. He did cold turkey. I am so prouid of him. His father stayed with him during the day and I was with him at night. He felt better after about 7 days. The first 4 days he didn't leave his bed. He only drank gatorade. This was his second time detoxing from OXY's. He did it once two years ago. That time he got so dehydrated he had to go to the hospital. Make sure no matter how bad you feel you stay hydrated.

If my son can do it so can you. He has stayed clean by staying away from all of his old "friends".

He feels so great now. His life is not ruled by a pill or powder. He has his life back. He laughs and has fun WITHOUT drugs.

If you really, really want this--you can do it. It's hard - but when I look at my son now--It's definitely worth it. Your life will be so much better.

My son was snorting heroin 10 -15 times a day. I'm just glad he quit before he OD'd.

I'll send you good thoughts and a prayer.

Old 09-16-2005, 04:48 PM   #8
    TJOB3
    Inactive
    (male)

TJOB3 HB User

Thanks joanharverst, he is in the bed right now, just sweating so bad, he has ate today and is still able to drink things, your post is sooo helpful, I cant wait until he gets up to read what you guys write, last pm he did not think anyone would writeback, we are so ready to get our life back, this will be my 2nd t ime quitting, last time i came off of Percocet, but I have outdone myself this time and decided to go all out with the Oxy, I am in the medical field and can get the dr to call on pretty much what i want,(thats the problem) however, i have a call out for a med for nausea and it will help with sleep too, and any other advice on meds would be great as i am going cold turkey Monday, I did not think the house could handle both of us, we both have titrated down a lot, but this sucks, this is awsome about your son, I , know my mom was so proud to have her daughter back....thank you for your post, it helps so much

Old 09-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #9
    TJOB3
    Inactive
    (male)

TJOB3 HB User

This experience has been undescribeable, now going on 24+ hours

Old 09-16-2005, 06:47 PM   #10
    Arememom
    Inactive
    (female)

Arememom HB User

Hey You Two, Hope things are progressing well. I know you feel like hell right now. But just in case you feel like getting to the computer, I just wanted to say "Hi" and both of you are in my thoughts and prayers. I'll be up late again tonight. I usually post during the late hours at night and early morning (1-2am). I'll check back on you later.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:20 PM   #11
    TJOB3
    Inactive
    (male)

TJOB3 HB User

We are among the living, he is in the tub as we speak, we went to an NA meeting, I saw a lot of old people, smart ones that didnt go back out I gave him a benzo to help with the shakes, he was and is a mess, but he is bound and determined, he just told me to check the boards and yet again you made someone you dont even know,feel good, even if it is just a min at a time, i am not looking forward to my detox, I have already titrated so much, and like you we have so much other stuff going on in the middle of it but it makes the outcome look a bit more positive when you know you will be clean...How are you feeling??? Its funny how you can tell peoples mood just by a post, it does not matter how you find another recovering addict they always just know the right things to say............thanks again, you are on our thoughts....you keep up the good work...you deserve it and so do your kids...

Old 09-16-2005, 11:10 PM   #12
    TJOB3
    Inactive
    (male)

TJOB3 HB User

Hello Board.....

I just want to thank everybody that has posted and gave their 2 cents, b/c i am taking everybody's advice. I just went to my first N.A. meeting and for those of you who are skeptical, don't be. It really does give you the courage and strength to go forward. I got my white N.A. keychain, that i plan on keeping the rest of my life b/c its a big ****ing deal to me. I hope the worst of it is over. My mind is made up that I want to quit, quit at all cost. Believe me.. it can be done. The first step is always the hardest step. Just live minute to minute it can be done. I don't know what tomorrow brings, but as of now i'm clean. And thats a high for me. I know tomorrow is going to be a better day. Each day is going to continue to get better and better. If you arent as fortunate as me to have somebody by your side and directing you GO TO N.A. . ppl there will guide you. You can't do this by yourself. you dont have to do it by youself. IF I CAN DO IT ANYBODY CAN!!!! Keep up the posting, I'm well on my way to recovery and well on my way to getting my life back. The hardest part I'm going through is the complete boredum. I guess life is boring and its something I have to deal with. Today is a good day, cause i'm not blowing oxycontin up my nose. Take care

tj

Old 09-16-2005, 11:49 PM   #13
    Arememom
    Inactive
    (female)

Arememom HB User

Hey There,
    Good to hear from you both. I'm so glad you went to a meeting. Try to do 90 meetings in 90 days. It may be hard at times. But it will definitely give you the base of support you need. Go to different places for meetings. Find the one that clicks for you. Also find a sponsor. As you sit and listen to stories and people talking, you'll decide who you want to be your sponsor. Then after the meetings over, go ask. Don't hesitate. It is an honor to be asked to be someone's sponsor. It not only helps you, it helps them also. I was in Alanon more than 10 years ago due to my ex-husbands alcohol problem. We went to probably 4-5 different locations before I found my home site. Once there within 2-3 meetings I decided on my sponsor.

Hope you feel a little better by daylight. Among all the other things everyone has told you to help detox, I just thought of something else. If you are an outdoorsy person and weather permitting, sit outside or lay on blanket, have a picnic, read or just veg. out and sleep. See ya"ll later.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:13 AM   #14
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

Hi TJOB3 and partner

Well done for getting along to NA, I'm also a 12 step recovery miracle and have found the strength of the meetings to be very important for me. It's good to be able to talk to people who have had the same situation and similar problems that I'm facing/faced and the energy in the rooms can often lift you when you're in an unpleasant space.

I'm don't know much about the opiate withdrawal side of things other than what I've read here, as my addiction was mainly Alcohol (although I'm prone to be addicted to other less damaging thing, Alcohol was the drug that bought me to my knees.) Anyhow my point is that recovery is the same regardless of what drugs you've taken. Right now you are facing the awful awful pain of physical withdrawal and you are very much in mine and I sure others prayers. Once you've moved forward from this and believe me you will (I've read the strength in your post,) you are going to have to start facing life on life’s terms and you will have to learn about your relationship together without the drug to bond you. This will take much patience and quick forgiveness on both sides to enable a lasting recovery together and attendances at preferably NA and/0r counselling is going to be absolutely essential if you want to live a HAPPY SOBER LIFE! Anyone can get dry, but the essence of recovery is about finding out that life is not boring as you might worry it is, but life is really full of joy and peace in such a wonderful and most different way than we've so far sought out. There's so much for you to discover that if you truly decide to move forward into a lasting recovery (one day at a time,) that it can be quite exciting and most rewarding at times. For now though you will need to be patience and have FAITH AND HOPE that what people like myself share is true and real and has been experienced on a deep and meaningful level, please trust us and for now just keeping doing the NEXT RIGHT THING, one step at a time.

Love and best wishes in the meantime.

Blasterboy

Last edited by Blasterboy; 09-17-2005 at 02:17 AM.

Old 09-17-2005, 07:14 AM   #15
    TJOB3
    Inactive
    (male)

TJOB3 HB User

Thank you guys so much...someone had done for us what we can not do fo ourselves.....this is so hard for me,he is going cold turkey and i am just titrating and it is kicking my butt, we feel asleep about 3am, and i have been tossing and turning for hours, the last time i detoxed i could not sleep or eat and he is doing so good, I am so proud of him, but i dont know how i'm gonna do this. I found NA afew years ago an it totally changed my life and then i picked up...I have to keep titrating as i have a huge depo for a lawsuit on monday, these boards have saved my life,i cant believe i have been blessed to have woke up this am and found that both of you took time out of you life to express your thoughts to us,what doesnt kill you only makes you stronger, i hope this is over soon, one day at a time, i know this is worth it, we want our life back so bad, we have to start over with evrything, i need to find a new job and he is in school, the phone just keeps ringing, i told everyone he doesnt feel good, we will let people know when this hard part is over, i did this before, but i need the strength to do it again....keep posting, you guys rock.....bless you guys..and dont use no matter what

Closed Thread