It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• A simple at home test for sensory neuropathy,that you can do,

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-29-2005, 09:57 PM   #16
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    Re: A simple at home test for sensory neuropathy,that you can do,

I remember doing that test about 8yrs ago, I fell in the Dr office when I did it. But my polyneuropathy was diagnosed with emg and ncv tests, I also have pernicious anemia which caused the polyneuropathy. I still can't do the heel to toe test without falling and I notice if I walk fast I have no balance problem, but if I just stroll it seems I act like I've had a few too many drinks and wonder all over the place, my hubby chuckles at times cuz he rather walk behind me than along side of me just because I walk into him alot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2005, 04:22 PM   #17
    Terri43
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri43 HB User

I went to a neurosurgeon last week for and IME for w/c and he didn't do that test. he had me walk across the room. and then he had me touch my nose then touch his finger as he moved his finger around. he did that several times and I couldn't keep up with him. He also did the pinstick test and was drawing blood and it didn't feel sharp it just felt like he was just poking me. and my right arm didn't move when he tapped it with his little hammer. Does this sound normal?
    Terri

Old 09-18-2005, 01:32 AM   #18
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Nancy
    I am sorry to hear that you also have Polyneuropathy. Mine was also diagnosed by the EMG's. It is funny that you should say that your balance is much better when you walk fast, as I believe the same for me. The only problem is that I have much difficulty trying to walk fast. Besides having the polyneuropathy, I have much inflammation throughout my body. You are the first person that I have seen post, with the same neuropathy as I. I do pray that your meds work for you.

I also had a cervical fusion on Monday, so I am praying that my legs don't give out on me...
    Jeanne

Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
    FBSS-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
    ~CERVICAL~
    Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
    Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
    Degenerative Disc Disease
    Disc Osteophyte Complex
    Compression Deformity & Spinal Lithiasis
    C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated & Bulging Disc's
    C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.
    Fusion & Discectomy Scheduled - September 12, 2005

Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
    Bilateral Frozen Shoulder - MUA 2/7/05
    Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
    Tendonosis, Type ll Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma,
    Acid Reflux, IBS, Migraine's, Sleep Apnea,
    PolyNeuropathy

Last edited by MarianJ; 09-18-2005 at 01:33 AM.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:37 PM   #19
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Hey Tomorrow...there really is someone else out there with this poly to?I started to think I was the only one who had it and ther isn't that much info on it anyway, lots on perepheral tho. So now I wonder do all of us Poly folks walk better fast like it is part of the condition? I have sciatica and a few bulging discs in the lumbar but most of my problems are in the neck and thorasic area with stenosis etc. I love to walk fast but my hubby has to walk slow (bad heart) and as I said if I walk slow I stumble, bob and weave and I'm sure people think I have had a few and I don't even drink. We also have some other similarities to. I hope that fusion works for you!!!!

DDD
    cervical stenosis
    facet joint disease
    straightening of the normal cervical lordosis
    C2-3 herniation
    C3-4 bulging disc
    C4-5 annular tear, herniation
    C5-6 bulging, impingement
    C6-7 nerve impingement, moderate cord impingment
    arthritis throughout cervical area
    T3-4, T4-5 stress fractures
    Thorasic hemangioma laced throughtout thorasic spine, benign inoperable
    L4-5 bilateral chronic radiculopathy
    osteoporosis, chronic myofacial pain
    failed ulnar nerve entrapment surgery, resulting in nerve injury to hands, chronic tendonitis, DeQuervan syndrom, Wartenburg syndrome, GERD, asthma, chronic headaches asssociated with facet joint disease in neck.
    muscle atrophy, leukopenia, pernicious anemia, polyneuropathy

Old 09-21-2005, 04:27 PM   #20
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

If any of you are taking cholesterol lowering medication, I can assure you that this is the cause or at least contributing to your neuropathy. If your doctor doesn't want you to stop the cholesterol medication, fire him and find another doctor. Cholesterol medication has never been shown to be of benifit to women of any age, and only of minimal help to younger men. Both male and females over 70 should not be taking cholesterol medications.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:00 PM   #21
    Amnell
    (female)

Amnell HB User

Okay, I just tried that test and I failed it miserably. I'm just wondering how people with neuropathy feel. Do you get certain limbs that are tingly or that feel like pressure is being put on them? If you walk from a room that has a light on into a dark room do you lose your balance and get vertigo? Thanks.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:03 PM   #22
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

I'm not on any medication, never have been except neurontin for awhile. My polyneuropathy is from irreversible nerve damage caused by undiagnosed pernicious anemia. My hubby (59)is on lipitor, after 3 heart attacks they put him on it, so far no more heart attacks and it has been 7 years since his last one. The longest he has gone without a heart attack is 5 yrs. It would be hard to convince him it has done no good. His numbers at one time were LDL 220, HDL 10, Tryclecerides 400. Now he is running at LDL 72 HDL 38 and Tryclecerides 110, can't beat that without help.

Old 09-22-2005, 07:19 PM   #23
    OTabby
    (female)

OTabby HB User

Hello Amnell, Sorry you failed the test.Welcome to the neuropathy board...
    If what you wrote are all your problems,then you're lucky,most of us have many,many more.
    I won't go into detail,just read some of the posts here.
    Get a good Doctor,some meds & some soft soled shoes & plenty of foot lotion for your dry,sore,hot or cold feet!
    Take Care JL

Old 09-22-2005, 10:30 PM   #24
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Nancy
    You are so right about not finding much information on the web about the polyneuropathy. I spent so many nights searching the web and hardly came up with anything. Do you get numb hands as well?

Yes, it does seem as if we have many similarities when it comes to our health. I never had my thorasic area tested although the last several months I have felt much pain in that area as well. I just figured I will take it one step at a time. So far my recovery is coming along well. I am sorry that you have so many spinal issue's and I can only imagine your pain. It is so hard to not let it control your life. Have you ever considered surgery for your cervical area? I have read how many surgeons do not want to operate on the thorasic area unless absolutely necessary. I am sorry that they cannot help you in that area.
    Jeanne

Closed Thread