It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• plaqueril

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
    anotherNYlymer
    (female)

anotherNYlymer HB User
    plaqueril

Hello all!

I am new to the forum, all though not new to Lyme's. In reading some of these threads, I find so much pain and yet such support and effort to find answers. I hope I can contribute and learn much. I started my road when I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia-severe pain in my left jaw. This was almost 3 years ago. 4 months later and a negative test result, my doctor was sure I had cronic lyme's based on all my symptoms. He is well respected in our area among his peers, including Dr. Horowitz who is just across the river from us, for his knowledge and treatment in Lyme although he is a general practioner with a small practice. I feel so fortunate that he diagnosed me because I never would have guessed and didn't believe it for a long time. I just begged him to help me and had to trust him. I am also allergic to most antibiotics which made treatment difficult. He pulse treated me, needed to increase dose and then needed to switch antibiotics because of my allergies.

Anyway to make a long story short, I thought I was well enough to stop taking the antibiotics and within a day, symptoms came back I went back and he now recommends a new cocktail of antibiotics, Zithromax, Flagyl, and the plaqueril. I just started the plaqueril and started the flagyl again. I will start the Zithro next week, once I feel there are no side effects from the plaqueril. I also am on Valporic acid for some side effects and depression. I was on Doxy for a long time then developed an allergic reaction and stopped it and just stayed on the flagyl and valporic acid. It held it at bay and I could function with fog and feeling ignorant at times, couldn't exercise without going backwards, etc. silly to think this was good but it was! I could play with my kids and get out of bed!!

I really got depressed when my bubble was burst and I realized I was just holding on by a thin line and realized what I was accepting as normal was no longer acceptable. Compared to what some of you are going through these symptoms are trivial, I know. Although, I now believe I lost hearing in my left ear due to the Lyme's and I was told it was just a "virus" attacking my ear nerve. My hearing will never return, this is sad. I also have to be concerned about my daughter who was born days before I lost my hearing.

So this is my story in short and would like to know any experiences with plaqueril that you care to share. I also have been reading about these detox baths and would like to hear how they work with the antibiotics cocktail?

Thanks for listening, it's nice to finally tell your story to those who understand

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2005, 04:51 AM   #2
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User
    Re: plaqueril

Hi there! I am also taking zithromax, plaquenil and flagyl. That combination is working very well for me. The plaquenil can affect your eyes so you should have regular eye exams. I have been taking it for over a year with no adverse effects to my eyes, but I get checked a lot and it's important to do that.

Also, the flagyl can be tough when you first start on it. By that I mean that it can really make you feel worn down, tired and weepy, I had depression when I started taking it. Since you are dealing with depression anyway, please be aware of this possibility. Taking B12 or even getting B12 injections can help a lot with this problem. Please be careful, it can send you into a downward spiral pretty fast.

I'm a little tired right now, I'll write more later.

Last edited by sleeperwoken; 09-24-2005 at 04:52 AM.

Old 09-24-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User
    Re: plaqueril

Dear anotherNYlymer,

Don't give up on your hearing. I can hear but the lyme has definitely made it worse. I also lost the vision in my left eye which has gotten better but doesn't seem to have as much light in it as my right eye. I have read about people with lyme who have gone deaf and blind and when the lyme was gone everything went back to normal. I can't say this will happen for sure but I want to believe it will.

Maureen

Closed Thread