It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Central Arterial Retinal Occlusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2005, 09:32 PM   #1
    Taco Belle
    (female)

Taco Belle HB User
    Central Arterial Retinal Occlusion

Last Thursday night I started having some blurred vision in my left eye, and within minutes lost all vision in that eye. I've been diagnosed with Central ARterial Retinal Occlusion, and have been hoping to find other people who have it or know something about it to discuss it with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2005, 07:21 AM   #2
    lindagreenlee
    (female)

lindagreenlee HB User
    Re: Central Arterial Retinal Occlusion

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taco Belle
    Last Thursday night I started having some blurred vision in my left eye, and within minutes lost all vision in that eye. I've been diagnosed with Central ARterial Retinal Occlusion, and have been hoping to find other people who have it or know something about it to discuss it with.
    Exact same thing happened to my husband last Sat.. Got to emergency and proceedure was performed with the hope of opening up circulation to the eye. Didn't seem to work as cells die off within a very short time. Cause was a small piece of plaque that obstructed the blood flow to the retina. He also lost vision in his left eye and at this point it appears that there will not be a return of the vision. Dr's said he must continue to be seen as new veins may grow in the eye and can pose a threat of infection. It's just been a terrible experience. Sounds like the exact same thing happened to both of you. Please keep in touch!

Old 09-27-2005, 10:59 AM   #3
    twoeyez
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

Taco Belle & lindagreenlee :

You probably know high blood pressure and other vascular diseases pose risks to your overall health, but you may not know that they can affect your eyesight by damaging the arteries in your eye and cause Central Retinal Arterial Occlusion (CRAO). This usually occurs in people between the ages of 50 and 70. The most common medical problem associated with CRAO is arteriosclerosis, hardening of the arteries. Carotid artery disease is found in almost half the people with CRAO.The most common cause of CRAO is a thrombosis, an abnormal blood clot formation. Sometimes CRAO is caused by an embolus, a clot that breaks off from another area of the body and is carried to the retina by the bloodstream. Central retinal artery occlusion (CRAO) blocks the central artery in your retina, the light-sensitive nerve layer at the back of the eye. The first sign of CRAO is a sudden and painless loss of vision that leaves you barely able to count fingers or determine light from dark.Loss of vision can be permanent without immediate treatment. Irreversible retinal damage occurs after 90 minutes, but even 24 hours after symptoms begin, vision may still be saved. The goal of emergency treatment is to restore retinal blood flow. After emergency treatment, you should have a thorough medical evaluation.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:52 PM   #4
    lindagreenlee
    (female)

lindagreenlee HB User

Thank you for your very clear and informative information. Patient underwent all the scans and tests to determine origin of clot. No caroitid disease was found. All tests were within normal ranges. Vitals were also normal. Future evaluations are scheduled. It appears to be a small piece that broke from who knows where. Although treatment was several hours after occurance, we are hoping some vision may have been saved although at this time we are unable to affirm that any was. I appreciate your excellent information and will keep a post of future condition. Thanks, once again.

Old 09-28-2005, 05:22 AM   #5
    twoeyez
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

lindagreenlee :

Hopefully that retinal blood flow was restored soon enough so that retinal damage was held to a minium. If this was true, than the retinal tissue will have some chance of regeneration and some vision can return. Only time will tell. I wish all the good luck for you husband. And God's speed.

Eyes

Old 10-20-2005, 07:16 AM   #6
    lindagreenlee
    (female)

lindagreenlee HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taco Belle
    I have been checking and wishing to see an update on your condition.

Closed Thread