It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Looking for (Adolescent) Males with Cystic (Body) Acne who took Accutane!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2005, 06:41 PM   #1
    PK125
    (male)

PK125 HB User
    Looking for (Adolescent) Males with Cystic (Body) Acne who took Accutane!!

What's up... First time posting so I'll give you a little background info on me.

I'm 19 years old now, I've had cystic acne since I was about 13. At first it was bad on my face and nonexistent on my body, but that slowly changed. Soon my body acne was worse than my face. I had it all over my shoulders and chest. I went to my derm when I was 14 and he perscribed doxycycline. I took it, and it helped my skin quite a bit... But the acne came back a few months after I stopped taking it. After that, I tried taking large amounts of vitamin B5... I couldn't really tell if it worked, because I would go for a few weeks without a new cyst, but then sometimes I would breakout heavily, and annul any progress I made.

Now that I'm older, my acne has changed. I still get acne on my face, but I would call it mild compared to what it used to be. The problem lies in my neck, shoulders, arms, back, and chest. I wouldn't describe it as severe, but it's definately moderate-severe... My back is pretty scarred up, and the cysts keep showing up. They're about the size of a dime on average, sometimes they get larger than a nickel. It's very depressing to not be able to go swimming or walk around without a shirt... or even wear a beater or something that would expose my acne. I'm sick of it. I'm pretty convinced after 5 years of watching nothing work for me, that my only hope is accutane.

The point of this post is to see who has tried accutane, and if it has helped you. I would really only like to hear from MALES, ages 14-25, who have had bad cystic acne on their BODY, and if accutane has helped. I really want to try it, as it's my last hope. Also, I don't have health insurance - how much is it going to cost for me? (My parents don't exactly support me, so money is an issue)

Thanks for the help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2005, 08:41 AM   #2
    EP734

EP734 HB User
    Re: Looking for (Adolescent) Males with Cystic (Body) Acne who took Accutane!!

I'm 27, so I'm a little older, but I did have cystic acne on my back so I'll give you my 2 cents. I had the acne on my back since I was 12 or so. Sometimes it was worse than others, but I figured it was just part of being a teenager. Well, it never went away, and in fact began getting worse recently. So, I went to the derm and asked about Accutane. She put me on it about 3 months ago, and I couldn't be happier. I haven't had a cyst in I don't know how long, my back is clear, my face has been clear, I can go to bed without topical crap all over me. It has its drawbacks, my lips have been chapped like you wouldn't believe for months, and my skin is EXTREMELY dry, but that usually happened in the winter anyway. I've got lotion and a humidifier so I'll be fine. Accutane is a big decision, but I can't argue with the results. I'll take some dry skin and lips for a clear back.

Old 02-20-2005, 09:39 PM   #3
    PK125
    (male)

PK125 HB User

I would too man. Cheers.

Did you have insurance?

Old 02-21-2005, 05:17 AM   #4
    stan
    (male)

stan HB User

hi im 21 and ive had acne since i was about 14 it was not that bad and i only had it on the face i went to the doc and he gave me tetracycline that did not work for me so i tried erythromcin and none of these antibiotics worked so recently i went back to the doc because i was getting depressed with the cystic acne i have on my back neck shoulders the back is the worst now i have it everywhere and i never take my tshirt off the doc sent me to see a derm and he put me on accutane ive been on it about a month now the cysts have gone down abit but no dramatic changes yet got another 3 months left and yes i hate the side effects to ive got very dry lips and dry skin the worst for me is my back it gives me pains in the back when i lie down and for the price of accutane i would not know because i got it free in uk on the nhs lol

Old 03-10-2005, 12:06 AM   #5
    PK125
    (male)

PK125 HB User

Anyone else? I'm going to see a derm soon.

Old 10-01-2005, 10:06 AM   #6
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Hi PK125 I used to suffer horrible, painful cystic acne on my back, so bad that it used to prevent me from getting a comfortable night's sleep on some occasions. I took a course of accutane (20mg, three times a day for the standard five months) and it cleared my back and shoulders up once and for all - the acne has never returned in those areas! I wish the same could have been said for my face, though After a brief period of clarity, only achieved at the end of the course, the acne soon came back to my face, no less severe than before treatment. But some people experience overall clarity that lasts. Good luck

Closed Thread