It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Need adderall help before tomorrow

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2005, 08:05 AM   #1
    5alive
    (female)

5alive HB User5alive HB User5alive HB User
    Question Need adderall help before tomorrow

Tomorrow I have a Md appt.I've been on adderal reg. for almost 5 yrs 60mg a day the whole time.20mg 3times a day.It has helped me in the past so very well.This past yr or so I feel a real need to up the med.I'm not talking of keep upping it or a wanting to get some sort of high because the drug levels me.I even sleep on it.But since starting adderall i focus,finnish projects etc.
    But now it is not enough .The dr. i go to is not the same one who first prescribed it and i don't want to make him think i'm a drug seeker.I started with this dr. because i'm also bipolar.He's a wonderfull dr. but he's not thrilled about the adderal.My husband do's my meds.Latly i've been fighting with him for 20mgs more. when i take 80mgs a day,i feel like i did all those years.I don't want more,just enough.What do i say to him.I don't think he'll raise the dose.I know it's a high dose but the same amount all this time i feel is a diffent problem. Can someone help me?
    I know that long term affects of adderall have not been done,so i don't know where to look.I just want to keep my life.I truly am add.But in need of answers.
    Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    5alive

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #2
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
    Re: Need adderall help before tomorrow

ADD*A*Girl,

The recommended max is 40mg/day so your doctor will probably squawk. Unfortuneate because who the heck came up with 40mg max. No one asked me. Did they ask you? But what is, is. You can try not taking your Adderall for a month or two. It is very possible, but not absolute the break will reset your chemistry so that the 60mg or maybe lower will work again.

Whatever the case, I find it beneficial to take weekends off, if for no other reason than to prove to myself I do not need the stuff to function emotionally. I do not have the need for focus when not working so why bother. You may and probably are different. Decide accordingly.

Bob

Old 10-02-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
    5alive
    (female)

thanks Bob for taking the time for me. i need to get this taken care of

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    5alive

Old 10-03-2005, 12:09 AM   #4
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

In adults with narcolepsy, the recommended dose is as high as 60mg. I have seen, once or twice, docs go as high as 80mg per day. Personally, I think it's risky to go beyond what the manufacturer states as the highest dose.

The problem is, ADDaGirl, that even if you do go up to 80mg/day, eventually you are going to develop tolerance to that dose as well and then what?

Your doc could try switching your Adderall to Dexedrine. That might do it for you but, again, you will eventually develop tolerance to it, too. Some people "use" caffiene in addition to their meds and that helps.

The best thing to do is also the hardest. And that is exactly what Bob said - take breaks from stimulants. The longer you can go without it, the more likely it is to continue working well for you.

Old 10-03-2005, 05:48 AM   #5
    5alive
    (female)

Thank you index.I was thinking about dexadrine for a short time , then hopefully come back to adderal but at a lower dose.

5alive

Last edited by 5alive; 10-03-2005 at 05:50 AM.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #6
    5alive
    (female)

thank you for the help.Dr. changed me to dexadrine sr.60mgs a day.split up in 15 mg.increments. Hopefully the ups and downs will smooth out.i also know that he listened about research i've done.I start tomorrow.

5alive

Closed Thread