It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• 1 month old eating habits

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2005, 05:41 PM   #1
    lex jude
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lex jude HB User
    1 month old eating habits

My DS is one month old, and he is eating up a STORM!!! I just wanted to know everyone else's experiences with a baby this age. I went to WIC today, and they were shocked at how much he is eating. They said he should eat 3-4 ounces every four hours, but Alex eats from 4-7 ounces every two hours!!!!! Is this another growth spurt? Or is this normal eating habits for a one month old little boy? I talked to the doc and he said as long as he is not spitting up he is fine, but I feel like I am constantly feeding him! He is just never satisfied!

He was born 7 lbs 5 oz, and now he is 8lbs and 4 oz. He is growing normally said doc as well)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2005, 06:42 PM   #2
    Karen62705
    (female)

Karen62705 HB User
    Re: 1 month old eating habits

Wow 7 ounces is a lot for a 1 month old....but every baby is different. At 1 month my little guy was 4 ounces every 2 hours. The doctor said that was alot, but he was at normal weight, and still is so doctor said not to worry about it then.

Now at 3.5 months he eats 6 ounces every 3 hours give or take. I have always fed him on demand and still do....i'm not one for the "scheduled feedings".

I often felt like I was constantly feeding him too! But it has gotten much better now.

Are you formula feeding....if so what kind?

Old 10-11-2005, 07:16 PM   #3
    lex jude
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lex jude HB User

I am feeding him Isomil Advance with Iron. It's the soy version of similac...the normal stuff made him sick. He seems to do well with it. Hardly any spit up, he burps well and he hasn't thrown up since he was first born. At first, he hardly ate at all, but now he is a machine!!! He poops about twice a day, and pees normal as well.

But for real...he eats like crazy. I almost want to start him on cereal because of how much formula he goes through! Everyone says that is a big no no tho....but my sis did it for her two boys.

Ugh! (btw, even though he is growing normally, he said he is a tad underweight compared to other babies. He said not to worry, and it's common for this age for them to be a bit under...as long as they are gaining at a norm)

Old 10-11-2005, 08:17 PM   #4
    Kiedy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiedy HB User

I would let your son eat on demand. My son also ate lots around that time, about 4oz every hour in the evening. It was crazy, his weight went from under 7lbs to over 10lbs at 1mo. So I wouldn't worry about it. I have also read in many places that you should not give baby cereal too early b/c their system is not ready for it, especially at 1mo. I think it increases allergies, so why risk it.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:23 AM   #5
    Laur77
    Veteran
    (female)

Laur77 HB User

Hi
    My son ate constantly too. I was so tempted to try cereal, but decided not to. I just plugged on through, and fed him when he wanted (my doctor said to try to get him to eat every 3 hours...I laughed; there was no way). But suddenly (at about 2 months old), almost over night, he started going 3-4 hours between feedings. If you can, stick with it. It will get better. Boys tend to eat more. I know how frustrating it can feel though!

Old 12-05-2005, 08:31 AM   #6
    the brady bunch
    (female)

the brady bunch HB User

I am a mom of a 5 week old boy. I am going thru the same thing. He was born 9lb. 5oz, and at his 2 week checkup he was 11 pounds. He eats like crazy, but also sleeps alot. I understand what u are going thru, and my doc too said it was normal. I think I might have the next big NFL player on my hands!! GOOD LUCK

Old 12-05-2005, 10:38 AM   #7
    roxyfoxy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Sounds normal to me, or maybe my baby is eating up a storm as well! He's 3wks and I am breastfeeding so I don't know the exact amount everytime. However, when I pump and feed him that way he eats 5oz at a time. He is feeding every 1-3 hours. Usually every hour in midafternoon to evening. Doctor said it was normal.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:00 PM   #8
    DontAsk
    Inactive

DontAsk HB User

My son is 5 weeks and has 6oz every 2 hrs, he also takes the same formula your son does. The Dr told me to add cereal to his bottles, 1tsp per 2oz. I only do it at night tho, but it works!

Old 12-05-2005, 07:14 PM   #9
    roxyfoxy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Add cereal huh? Everyone is telling me only breastmilk until 6mos! My nipples hurt and I need a break. I have snuck in a bottle or two of formula since we got home from the hospital. He's 3 weeks now and I feel like all I do is feed him! I feel horrible giving him formula, but is it all that bad? The nurses I have dealt with say it is and there is no reason for it.

A question off topic: I know there are rules for storing breastmilk. They say refrigerated breastmilk shouldn't be added with fresh milk. If I go by the date I stored the refrigerated milk, can I still add fresh milk? That way the older milk won't go bad.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:29 PM   #10
    Gayle0000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gayle0000 HB User

Hi Roxyfoxy...You can mix your milks...thawed with fresh, refrigerated with fresh, etc. The rule primarily for mixing is you shouldn't dump warm milk (fresh or heated) into a cold batch. All milk batches you mix should be around the same temperature. Fresh milk that's still warm should be chilled in the refrigerator a while (30-60 mins) before you dump it into cold or before you freeze.

Even if you mix temperatures, or store straight from breast to freezer, it really doesn't make it go "bad"...it's still fit for consumption...you just end up killing off the good antibodies the more you heat, the longer you store, and the more you "shock" the milk.

That's how my lactation consultant explained it to me.
    Gayle

Old 12-09-2005, 10:15 AM   #11
    theartteacher
    (female)

theartteacher HB User

I am going through something similar. I have a 1 month old eating 4 oz every 2 hours. I had to start back to work because of money issues, and i am not getting any sleep! At night, I put some cereal in his bottle, but he still isn't satisfied. He won't eat anymore then 4 oz. I hope it gets better soon.

Closed Thread