It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• OCD/ADHD mix or Anxiety/ADHD mix peoples

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2005, 07:46 PM   #1
    ruhroh
    (male)

ruhroh HB User
    OCD/ADHD mix or Anxiety/ADHD mix peoples

Hey all. I thought my case was very unique but as I have been reading this board I've read some other people's stories that sound sort of similar. I have been diagnosed with Chronic Depression and OCD. The OCD is strange because it's really only obsessions, no compulsions. I'd describe it more as constant irational ruminations. What I mean by that is, my mind is constantly thinking of irrational things that aren't around me, I have the hardest time in the world living in the moment... or when I start an activity, immediately I think of some other activity. As you can imagine, when you can't enjoy stuff because your always thinking of something else, life can start to suck. Currently I take 250 mg of Luvox(an SSRI) and 300mg of Welbutrin.
    Ok well, about half a year ago I used some of my friends adderall for the SAT's and it was pretty great how much it helped my focus and ability to actually feel like doing an activity without thinking of some other activity the moment I start. The problem with the adderall however, was I got super bad Obsessions after it wore off. Well I told my doc about it and she wasn't happy that I used some meds without being prescribed for them, but she prescribed me some Strattera, being as it isn't a stimulant and might not give me the crash that Adderall did. I used 40mg of Strattera for about a few months and it undoubtably helped with my focus and ability to do activities, but I had major insomnia with it. Hockey season started and I just couldn't handle the lack of sleep, so I stopped taking strattera. Shortly after I stopped, I realized how much it was helping me but.... I just don't know which is better, not sleeping or being able to live like a normal person lol.
    After reading the boards I started taking DMEA.. 200mg. No improvement with the focus, but i've read it takes awhile. It's been about a week but i've noticed that it makes me pretty tired, not physically like the strattera did tho. I take a whey protein supplement and that has a pretty good amount of L-tyrosine, so I didn't bother getting any of that. I just hope that the DMEA starts to help with my concentration and stuff.
    I just wanted to know what those of you with the ADHD and OCD mix, or ADHD and anxiety mix have found that helps you. I don't know a bunch about ADD/ADHD meds but from what I've researched it seems like they are all stimulants except Strattera. I don't see why a diff stimulant wouldn't give me the crash like Adderall did but maybe someone has some experience with that? Thanks for your time. Sorry for the novel.
    -Josh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2005, 02:36 PM   #2
    Sylvia224
    (female)

Sylvia224 HB User
    Re: OCD/ADHD mix or Anxiety/ADHD mix peoples

I don't really have an answer I'm afraid, just thought I'd let you know that I had OCD as a child, and am apparently at great risk for a return of it (I had both obsessions and compulsions - locking doors was the biggest). So I am not medicated for the OCD, as I do not have it at least for the time being. I am on ritalin for ADHD. There is a "roller coaster" effect sometimes. Perhaps you could try Concerta? I've never tried it, but it is a longer acting form of ritalin.
    Wish I had a better answer for you, good luck!

Old 10-19-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Josh,

DMAE made me so lethargic I had to stop taking it.

The problem you experienced with Adderal may have more to do with self-medication than anything. I take 20mg of Adderal XR and the crash is more of a rough landing at the end of the day. Time to land anyway. Regular Adderal lasts about 5 hours and can produce the same roller coaster effect that Sylvia mentioned in her post in connection with Ritalin. Concerta is extended release methylphenidate. Ritalin is brand name methylphenidate. So, yeah, all stimulants produce a crash to varying degrees but extended release versions postpone the crash to late in the day. Do you know if you took XR? It comes in a capsule. If you took a pill(s) it was regular Adderal.

I want you to know that I am resisting flaming you royal for taking an unprescribed drug. Hopefully the flaming you got from your doc was enough to prevent you from doing it again.

How much did you take? Crash is directly proportional to dose. The higher the dose the greater the crash. Even if you took your friends prescribed dose it was probably too much for you. Most people will feel pretty darn good on 30mg of Adderal if they are not acclimated to it. Then they experience a horrific crash. That is one of the reasons doctors start therapy with a low dose and titrate up.

Adderal may be your answer after all. Talk to your doctor about it. If she agrees try a week's supply in case your OCD really does preclude Adderal for you.

Lastly but not leastly, I may needlessly take too much Ibuprofin for a sore back. The direction say take one, if needed take another. What? They expect to put up with the pain for another hour only to find out one isn't enough. Baloney. Let's take two and be sure. The point of that digression is many times unwanted side effects can be either reduced or eliminated without any loss of efficacy by lowering the dose. Did you try a lower dose of Strattera?

Bob

Old 10-22-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
    ruhroh
    (male)

ruhroh HB User

Thanks for the replies.
    What I took was aderall XR, 20mg. No I didn't try strattera at any lower dose than 40. Do you think that 20mg of strattera would even make a difference?

I started taking the strattera 40mg again. I'm having problems with sleep again, so to get some sleep ive been taking melatonin and over the counter sleeping pills.

Old 10-22-2005, 12:27 PM   #5
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

ruhroh,

20 mg of strattera might work. Get samples from your doc and try it.

I had to take Lexapro (an anti-depressant) for about six months. It effectively relieved my depression. Once I stopped the chemo-therapy that was causing the depression, Lexapro started keeping me awake. I cut back to 10mg and was ok for a few weeks. Then the insomnia was back. Quit altogether. Lexapro was causing excessive seratonin because I no longer needed it.

Don't expect to quit Strattera anytime soon. Look at my experience in principle. Side effects can mean too much of a med.

Bob

Closed Thread