It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Cystic Acne, who else has it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2005, 05:43 AM   #91
    BlueSprite555
    (female)

BlueSprite555 HB User
    Re: Cystic Acne, who else has it?

I think Roaccutane is the same as Accutane here in the U.S. right? If that's the case then people usually start to see results I think after 2 months or so...generally they go through a "worsening" period for a few weeks and then it clears up. Congrats on doing something about it! I know Accutane gets tons of fear-mongering like you said, but taken under a doc's supervision, and for cystic acne, I think it can be a really good choice...especially since it can prevent scarring, and painful cystic acne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2005, 06:35 AM   #92
    Wmoon24

Wmoon24 HB User

I am 25, and have suffered with cystic acne since 12. It has had a huge negative impact on my life and ruined my self esteem. I had it somewhat under control for a couple of years, but after going through a high stress period in my life, it came back with a vengence. Right now I am dealing with at least 4 big cysts on my face (2 really painful ones on the jawline), several smaller red ones all over, cysts in the process of healing, and whiteheads, which are a rarity for me. My face exploded into this breakout after trying Camellia Oil a few weeks ago, combined with the stress, and hasn't gotten better yet. I get a couple of new cysts everyday, it's extremely depressing. It's affecting my husband and three kids because I refuse to leave the house unless absolutely necessary. My husband has been doing everything outside the house for me - all the shopping, taking kids to appointments and activities..my oldest daughter has even missed three birthday parties in the past 2 months because I was too embarrassed to take her and hubby was working. I hate living like this. I have been on oral and topical antibiotics, Retin-A, and Differin with little to no improvement. I am currently using Sage Ex strength BZP 10% with sulfer on the big cysts, but it is doing nothing but making my sensitive skin red and burning.

I did discover what may be a light at the end of the tunnel though. A couple of weeks ago I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, which can be a HUGE factor in severe acne in females due to the over production of testosterone. Since then I have been eating low carb (south beach diet) and was prescribed Ortho Tri Cyclen for relief of PCOS symptoms. I haven't noticed improvement yet, but that is to be expected because I've only been on the diet and OTC 7 days now.

I am still doing my research and considering taking the Accutane plunge. I have been dealing with this crap way too long and I honestly don't know what it feels like to have a decent complexion. It's been bad for so long, with the pitted scars on my cheeks to prove it. I have been reading the accutane journals here to get a better feel for it might be like for me. I am so scared of the potential bad side effects and that I might be one of these people whose acne gets WORSE (G** forbid, it couldn't get much worse than it is right now). Besides the OTC birth control pill, I am also in the process of weaning myself off the antispressant Paxil, so I'm worried about the potential effect on my liver. Paxil is also hard on the liver, and I've been taking it for 4 years now. I am also very worried about the potential of psychological effects, since I have had depression and anxiety issues in the past.

Still, with that said, I do think the benefits of Accutane will outweigh the risks for me. What kind of life do I have right now anyway, sitting around the house all day, afraid to go out and face the real world because of embarrassing acne. I'm suffering, my husband is, and so are my kids, because of this. It's not fair to them. I am lucky to have the most wonderful, understanding husband, who tells me all the time how beautiful I am despite the acne, and keeps me going when I feel like throwing in the towel. I am thankful for that, but they still shouldn't have to suffer too because of my bad skin.

I am going to do a little more research on Accutane, continue reading the accutane journals here, and make my decision from there. I do think it is the only thing that is going to help me in the long run.

Old 10-16-2005, 07:37 PM   #93
    lindanm
    Inactive

lindanm HB User

I may have posted this here before, but Anyone with cystic acne should try avoiding oranges and orange juice. And possibly other citrusy or acidic fruits and vegetables. I have spotted a few other messages here about oranges, so a few others have made the connection. And I didn't make the connection myself, a coworker did after her chin broke out after a weekend of big family breakfasts featuring orange juice.

I haven't had anything to do with oranges for several years and I haven't had the cysts all over my hairline, jawline, cheeks and temples in years either. I frequently still have one or two on my back and sometimes one on my neck, which may be due to lemons in my tea. I have never tried to see if I could have the odd tangerine or and don't like grapefruit so I don't know about them. But there is zero doubt in my mind that oranges give me severe cystic acne.

And the culprit isn't vitamin C, because I have been taking high doses of vitamin C without a noticable problem. So feel free to eat all the other non-citrus fruits and vegetables that have just as much Vitamin C as citrus does.

Just try it.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:27 PM   #94
    acnesuks
    (female)

acnesuks HB User

I started getting acne when I turned 27. I went to a number of derms and tried a bunch of things. It got better for almost 2 years. I am about to turn 34 and all of a sudden, I started getting cysts. It completely stinks. I'm a fairly good looking girl and now that i'm starting to age, I have to deal with this. It's just all down hill from here.
    Anyway, I just wanted to let you know there are some things that can be done for cysts immediately. They can be needle-drained and/or they can be injected with cortisone. They may be an out of pocket expense, but it's worth it.
    Good luck, I'm sorry for the trauma and I understand.

Old 11-09-2005, 05:22 AM   #95
    chrishors7
    (female)

chrishors7 HB User

Hi everyone,
    I am 19 and have had acne since I was 12. This started with just a few minor little pimples and it escalated from there. Right now I have cysts along my jaw line and more minor breakout everywhere else including my upper arms, chest and back. I am SO TIRED of this stuff too.
    I am glad that I am not the only one that antibiotics have not worked for. I refuse to take anymore since I have for years to no avail. My dermatologist said the other day that I am not helping anything by not taking them. It's like she can't hear what I am telling her. I hate dermatologists!

Old 11-09-2005, 08:15 AM   #96
    desperate:(
    (female)

desperate:( HB User

i never really thought there were so many people out there feeling the same... im nearly 20 and have had acne since i was about 13 its just escalated since... i went on oxytetracycline for about 2 years when i was 16 and it worked well for a while but then i came off it as i was having what i believed to be side affects, then i went back on it as my skin seemed to worsen again but came off it again as i wanted to go on the pill.... i then came off the pill after 3 months as my skin was getting really bad again (microgynon 30) and went back on the tetracycline but it did not seem to work this time and my skin has been getting progressively worse since i am now at the point wherei will find any excuse not to leave the house and am considered to be lazy by my family as i dont want to go to work or see nayone i wish theyd understand!!!! i get cysts and blackheads and whitheads you name it and it started just on my jaw line and neck but is now spreading up my face and i dont know what to do or how to stop it im so scared!! i constantly have to keep my hair infront of my face to hide it and only see my bf because his rooms dark and it doesnt notice as much in there... i was considering going on dianette but after the horror stories i have read i dont want to try that.. i just really need help and am so depressed.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:38 PM   #97
    lsposato
    (female)

lsposato HB User

I had my first encounter with cystic acne when I was pregnant with my first child almost 12 years ago. I didn't know what the heck it was at first and continued to get them on and off over the years (and they usually came at least 2 at a time) I couldn't fight the compulsion to leave them alone as much as they hurt...now have depressed scars mostly on chin, some on my right cheek and two on my nose. When the light hits my face a certain way or I look in my rearview mirror..wow it is awful. I have tried creams and scripts from the derm...micro dermabrasion at home (with the little machine and without) endless products I have ordered over the internet (the latest was Elincina, it did nothing). I came across a product yesterday called Phytocure gel...it sounds convincing and is pretty cheap..has anyone out there heard of or tried this product. The only thing that I am using these days to keep the breakouts under control and give me the best coverage without looking hideous has been mineral makeup...you can still see the scars but they do look way better with the makeup than without , and it is healthy for the skin..won't cause more breakouts and it does not feel heavy. Any advice on improving scarring, great products, ect.???

Closed Thread