It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Lumbar Sympathetic Nerve Block

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2005, 01:32 AM   #1
    Jenna Mac

Jenna Mac HB User
    Question Lumbar Sympathetic Nerve Block

Hi All,

I'm due to have my first Lumbar Sympathetic Nerve Block next Wednesday (26th Oct) & have a couple of questions that I hope someone out there can answer for me:

1. My Dr has advised the block will be done with no sedation & I 've been told not to take any pain medication that day... So my question is; how uncomfortable/painful is the block?

2. After the block will my leg feel completely numb or just strange & how long does the feeling last for?

3. If there is any benefit, how soon will I know & what form will this 'benefit' take?

4. What happens if I don't get any benefit & what does it mean?

I would be grateful for any advice/personal experiences anyone out there can give me, so I have an idea of what to expect.

Thanks in advance,

Elaine

(Jenna Mac)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2005, 05:22 PM   #2
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User
    Smile Re: Lumbar Sympathetic Nerve Block

Hi Elaine,

1. I never had sedation with my blocks. For me, the pain was bearable.

2. Sometimes, my leg felt numb after the block and sometimes it didn't so I can't help you there.

3. Before the block, they might put a temperature monitor on your foot. If your affected leg is colder than the unaffected leg, you should see an increase in temp pretty much immediately after the block. That's one way they know they got the right spot. Your leg might also turn from purple to red. That's a result of the blood vessels opening up (unclamping). Hopefully, the positive results of the block will last forever , but nobody really knows.

4. If you don't get any result, it could mean the doc didn't get the right spot, you don't have RSD or that you do have RSD, but your pain isn't sympathetically maintained anymore.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the block.

Sharon

Old 10-18-2005, 07:25 PM   #3
    Gaollan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gaollan HB UserGaollan HB UserGaollan HB User
    Re: Lumbar Sympathetic Nerve Block

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jenna Mac
    Hi All,

I'm due to have my first Lumbar Sympathetic Nerve Block next Wednesday (26th Oct) & have a couple of questions that I hope someone out there can answer for me:

1. My Dr has advised the block will be done with no sedation & I 've been told not to take any pain medication that day... So my question is; how uncomfortable/painful is the block?

I was knocked out and glad of it.

2. After the block will my leg feel completely numb or just strange & how long does the feeling last for?

For me the numb-strange feeling lasted for about 12 hours.

3. If there is any benefit, how soon will I know & what form will this 'benefit' take?

I had no benefit except excruciating pain with mine. If there is any benefit, I.E. less or no pain I would figure you'd feel it within a couple of hours or so after it's done.

4. What happens if I don't get any benefit & what does it mean?

Could be too late for a block to work and what Sharon said.

I would be grateful for any advice/personal experiences anyone out there can give me, so I have an idea of what to expect.

Thanks in advance,

Elaine

(Jenna Mac)

I really hope it does work for you and it lessens your pain. I wish you lots of luck!!

Old 10-25-2005, 07:05 AM   #4
    missspeedway2
    (female)

missspeedway2 HB User

hi I have just had my first sympathetic nerve block yesterday, they did not tell me to not eat anything or drink anything so I ate and when I got there they asked me if I ate i said yes, they said well we can't sudate you then, so they numbed me up and went ahead with the proceeder it was not painful actually it was easy less then 5 mintues to do! but today the day after i have a bad headache on the back of my head and was wondering if anyone has experienced headaches afterwards?? they told there would be no side affects after just a sore back for a couple of days!!

misspeedway2

Old 10-25-2005, 08:51 AM   #5
    redeeminggrace
    (male)

redeeminggrace HB User

Kwise,
    I had a spinal block in 1978 for knee surgery. I was cautioned that I could receive headaches for a couple of days after due to the removal of spinal fluid and replacement with pain meds. This is normal according to my docs at the time..I pray that your pain heals quickly....God bless....

Old 11-02-2005, 01:09 AM   #6
    Jenna Mac

Jenna Mac HB User

Thanks everyone for your advice.

My block went ahead as scheduled, but didn't work.

I have a question - After the block, my leg felt a little warm & tingly for a few minutes, but there was no improvement in colour, temperature or pain. What does this mean? Why the warm, tingly feeling but nothing else?

Any advice greatly appreciated once again.

Thanks,

Elaine (Jenna Mac)

Closed Thread