It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• August Moms/August Babies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2005, 11:35 AM   #46
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User
    Re: August Moms/August Babies

S&J, Kierra did that before (not have BM for a day or two then went quite a bit once she started again) I had asked her pediatrician and he said it's normal as long as she wasn't showing any signs of being constipated, in pain, straining etc. Kaden used to go at least several times a day (pretty much everytime he peed he'd poop too) and now he is down to once a day.
    I went to the library yesturday and got the Happiest Baby On The Block book, I also got the No Cry Sleep Solution which I started reading lastnight, it sounds promising from the stories of success she discusses in her book, but I haven't gotten to the tricks yet, so I guess we'll see in a month or two. There is a story about a 3 month old in there who had success by day 45 of the No Cry Sleep Solution, so it sounds possible. Kaden is having more problems sleeping during the day and early mornings than he does first thing at night but I'm hoping he'll learn to sleep better after I read these books. Anyone else having problems getting thier babies to sleep well during the day? Kaden is sleeping in his swing right now but it seems like he doesn't sleep very deeply because I have to go to him several times to put his sucky back in, if he sleeps in his bassinette or crib he doesn't sleep very long at all. In the evenings he sleeps good because I've gotten into a routine of giving him a late evening bath, then I rub the nighttime lotion on him and get him dressed, top up his belly a bit and once he falls asleep I put him in his crib and he has been very good lately at staying asleep...the odd time he'll wake up, but most nights he falls asleep well, and even after feedings he normally tends to stay asleep, but once it gets closer to morning he seems to be a lighter sleeper and will wake up shortly after I lay him back in his crib, then I end up having to bring him to bed with me to prevent him from crying enough to wake up Kierra. This morning I tried to put him back in his crib at 6am after a feeding and he woke up within 5 minutes and wouldn't go back to sleep so I had to take him to bed with me, and once I layed him on my chest he fell right back to sleep. He sleeps on his tummy on my chest quite well, he turns his head from side to side easily too....in fact too easily, I sometimes have to gently hold his head down so he falls asleep and not plays around turning his head side to side. Makes me wonder if he would sleep well on his tummy if he does it so well when he sleeps on me that way, but I am so scared to even try it. I know I probably shouldn't be so scared because when we think of how many years all mothers used to put their babies to sleep on thier bellies before SIDS research said thier back is best...but I still am scared.
    Well, I seem to be rambling, so I'll go for now. Any advice or feedback would be appreciated. Hope you all are doing well. Talk to you soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2005, 11:41 AM   #47
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

S&J How old is Troy now and how long have you been pumping, and when you first started were you able to get that much from one pump on one side? I seem to have the same fullness in both breasts but I recall being a bit fuller on my right side when I was breasfeeding Kierra. I wasn't sure if it was because I was right handed and slept more on my right side causing more pressure to make me leak more thus produce more on that side, but I just tried pumping more often on the less full side and starting feedings with the less full breast for feedings finishing with the more full side and eventually it evened out.
    Well, I gotta go, Kaden is awake yet again.

Old 10-20-2005, 12:18 PM   #48
    Boo Boo
    Veteran
    (female)

Boo Boo HB User

Hope you are all well,

Kierrasmommie,

Annaum is exactly the same when it comes to sleeping. I dont think she ever falls to sleep in her crib by her self in the nite. I breast feed her and then l have to rock her in my arms and then walk like a zombie to put her in the crib last nite l was literally an inch from placing her down and she started to cry

recently when she wakes up around 6 am or 8am after feeding l put her next to me in the bed which l dislike ! as l am so afraid (bed sharing) she will play abput then fall asleep as soon as she has l then move her.

Anyway Annaum has started to move around in her crib. Meaning dear ladies l place her in the middle on her back couple of hours later when l checked up on her she was lying on her back but diaganlly/ STRANGE? l then put her back in the middle and again later she had moved to the right hand side and was lying / HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS?

Old 10-20-2005, 12:26 PM   #49
    Boo Boo
    Veteran
    (female)

Boo Boo HB User

Oh by the way is anyone using a pacifier /dummy l am not but was just wondering as we never ever have mentioned it ? to my records any way just wondering!

Old 10-20-2005, 12:38 PM   #50
    Laur77
    Veteran
    (female)

Laur77 HB User

Boo Boo
    My DS does the exact same thing! I wake up during the night, and he is sometimes almost completely sideways in his crib! I do not use a pacifier, but only because Logan is not interested.

Old 10-20-2005, 09:43 PM   #51
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

BooBoo,
    Kaden is pretty good at night, he falls asleep while nursing then I just move him to his crib, I guess I am lucky that he does fall asleep and I am able to move him without having to walk or rock him, but early mornings he doesn't do as well with that, I don't like him in bed with me either, but I don't fall asleep, I rest...I'm too scared to fall asleep, or maybe it's just maternal instinct. Kaden is with DH and I can hear him screaming...definite Mommies Boy, so I'll make it quick, yes I do use a pacifier...I call it his sucky...he likes it now but it took a bit and even still sometimes I have to hold it for a few seconds before he takes it. Talk to you all tomorrow.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:48 AM   #52
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Hi, just a quick note for those of you who are having a hard time with tummy time...I thought Kaden was as well, but today right after he woke up (when he is usually in the best mood) I pulled out our Tiny Love playmat/jungle gym and he actually stayed on his belly for several minutes, then I was able to just roll him on his back and let him bat at the hanging toys and look in the play mirror, he's been on the floor for about 15 minutes now and is actually liking it, he even smiled at himself in the mirror...now I wish I would have pulled it out sooner. Talk to you all later.

Old 10-21-2005, 12:48 PM   #53
    Spanish
    Veteran
    (female)

Spanish HB User

Hi All

S&J - If you are breastfeeding then really don't worry about bowel movements. My health visitor said that breast fed babies can go up to 10 day (!!!!) without a bowel movement. It's because they use up all the nutrients in the breast milk and there are no waste products. My DD usually goes about once a day and boy and those scary nappies!

DD is not great at sleeping during the day but we've been trying various ideas. One that seems to be working well is using white noise. I noticed it one day when I was expressing. She was in her chair and fussing quite a bit but when I turned on the (noisy electric) pump she went really quiet and drifted off to sleep. Today I put her chair next to the dishwasher and that seemed to work well and we've tried a de-tuned radio a couple of times.

DD also doesn't like tummy time, she holds her head up really well but she'll only tolerate a couple of minutes before she starts yelling.

Anyway hope you are all well.

Spanish

Last edited by Spanish; 10-21-2005 at 12:49 PM.

Old 10-21-2005, 12:51 PM   #54
    S&J
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

S&J HB User

i tried putting troy on the breast feeding pillow on his belly and he did pretty good for a few minutes..i know he wasn't flat on his tummy but he did raise his head and look around a bit...i'm assuming this could work as tummy time?

Also...yesterday when he was eating he really wasn't staying on long...kind of sucking and then pulling off....it was like he wasn't getting enough milk...today i thought i'd try and give him some formula after he ate...well he must of had enough...because i didn't need to give him formula....he also spit up a lot yesterday..could this have been because he ate too much or something didn't agree with him? i also usually hear him swallowing and can hear the milk going into his tummy. I hope he eats better this afternoon than he did yesterday!

well it's a beautiful day and dh is home..so we're going for a walk!

kierrasm--how's it going with your dh??
    hope you're all doing well!

Old 10-21-2005, 01:42 PM   #55
    Kiedy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiedy HB User
    Talking Re: August Moms/August Babies

Kierrasmommy,

My DS hates tummy time, so I did what you suggested, put him on his mat first thing in the morning, and infact he lasted there longer. After he gets frustrated I prop him on my pillow, buys extra couple of minutes, but boy is he ever angry to be there.

I prop his head to show him what he is missing out on ( his head control is pretty good, he can sit on my lap and all I have to do is just hold his back), or show him how to roll over, but he is not interested, lol. He likes lying infront of the TV or the fireplace, he is attracted to the light, though it actually looks like he is watching TV (already starting a bad habit). I just want him to roll over, what does a mom have to do, lol. He does everything else, that's expected.

My DH is somewhat better at night w/ carrying for DS, but is still pretty lazy w/ him in the morning, and as deaf as ever to his crying. I've gotten better at having him care for him too. There are times when I want to pick him up, and in last second I stop myself and think... NO, let DH watch him for a while.

Wether here is pretty lousy, hard to go outside when it's raining all the time. Hope you are all doing well.

Last edited by Kiedy; 10-21-2005 at 01:51 PM.

Old 10-21-2005, 02:34 PM   #56
    Spanish
    Veteran
    (female)

Spanish HB User

LOL Keidy. My DD seems to watch the TV as well...I have to turn it off to get her to turn her head away! I guess they are fascinated by the lights and colours on the screen.

Are there August Mums whose babies are rolling yet? When do most babies start to roll? My DD (now 11 weeks) is showing no signs of rolling, she's not even trying to turn over. Do babies kind of work up to it or do they just suddenly do it one day?

Spanish

Old 10-21-2005, 04:27 PM   #57
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

S&J,
    Kaden seems to do the same thing sometimes with breastfeeding, but I'm beginning to wonder if the milk just lets down faster and he gets his feeding quicker, or what? I will sometimes switch sides to see if that helps, sometimes it does. Or I'll wipe his face and my breast off (he gets both pretty wet) and that helps him out as well. I wouldn't worry about it if he seems fine otherwise. Thanks for asking about the DH situation, it is a bit better, Thanksgiving weekend he was awesome we did alot together and with the kids...but he did screw up once or twice after that and thats when I packed up and drove to my parents place with the kids for the weekend to give him time to think, we talked the night following our return back home and he seems to be better. He actually called just now to say he was stopping for a beer with a friend and would be right home..so he has progressed to at least calling and letting me know. DH fed Kaden a bottle lastnight too, his first time feeding Kaden, my sister gave Kaden his first bottle on Wednesday and lastnight was Kaden's second bottle. He takes it really well so now I'm not so worried about DH's Christmas party next month...My sister will be babysitting Kaden and Kierra so we can go to the party and I was worried about him not wanting bottles, so we will continue to give him a bottle from time to time, but so far he has no problems...as long as you don't try burping him before he is done, LOL. DH tried burping him a couple times lastnight and got an earful from Kaden.
    Kiedy,
    That's good that it seemed to help, all we have to do is continue doing it regulary so they get used to it, Kierra and I helped play with the toys for Kaden so he was pretty attentive to what was going on.
    Spanish,
    I looked in Kierras baby book and she was a day or 2 shy of 10 weeks old when she first rolled from tummy to back, so it should be any time for your DD. And Kierra was almost 7 months old when she rolled from back to tummy. I can't remember how it came about but I think she just did it all of a sudden, I don't think there was any signs of it coming soon...do you try showing DD how to roll? I remember when DD was on the floor I'd take her leg and slowly/gently swing it over like she would need to learn for rolling. But all babies progress at different rates some do it sooner, some later, I think alot of it has to do with how much tummy time/practise they get, and also their physique and strength. Let us know when she does do it so we can all celebrate.
    Well, take care everyone talk to you soon.

Old 10-22-2005, 11:26 AM   #58
    S&J
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

S&J HB User

Kierrasmommy--i'm glad to hear that your dh is getting better! Good for Kaden for taking a bottle! We're leaving Troy with my parents tonight as dh and i and some friends are going to a "haunted house" or project x as it's called in Calgary. This will be our first outting and Troy's first time taking a bottle without me being around to watch Dg (dear grandma) give it to him! He takes the bottle well too and i'm sure he'll be fine tonite! (I hope) I'm not sure how i'm going to be without him! But i think it'll be nice to be with dh as we haven't been out alone yet!

Spanish - Troy hasn't even rolled yet and he's almost 13 weeks. He also hates his tummy time. I think he was on his tummy once for about 1 minute and didn't cry..the rest of the time he did cry. He's not even close to trying to roll from tummy to back!! I'm trying not to stress about it but it's hard not to when other babies are rolling no problem...maybe it's because Troy is so big! I hope he'll be able to in the next month or so.

Keidy---Troy loves to watch TV as well....i don't think it's a bad habit because there are DVDs out there that are educational for them to watch (baby einstein) I think Troy will get some for Christmas!

Well dh and I are going to start putting out some halloween decorations...(we're kids at heart!) I hope Troy gets as excited as we do as he grows up about these things!!

Hope you're all doing well and talk to you all soon!
    S

Old 10-22-2005, 11:50 AM   #59
    Sarahj
    (female)

Sarahj HB User

Hi all-looks like things are going well for everyone. We have been very very busy these days. Tala is sleeping 7 hours a night now and actually spent her first night with Grandma and Grandpa last night. They live an hour away, but my mom comes in town twice a week and picks Tala up from daycare. She keeps her for a few hours and brings her home when I am off work. Tala did wake up once around 1 am but my mom seems to think she would have gone back to sleep if she hadn't gotten up. She wasn't really hungry or crying so it is likely.

We are getting ready for halloween. All the decorations are up and the kids are excited about going trick or treating.

Spanish-you asked about rolling over. I am not sure what is "normal" for a child, but Tala rolls from her back to her side fairly well now. She is 10 weeks now. I think it is because we laid her on her side for so long when we brought her home from the hospital. When we started putting her on her back, she would automatically roll to her side. She doesn't seem very interested in rolling onto her tummy just yet. As for tummy time, she isn't a big fan of it. I don't press the issue much either, since she has really good head control.

Tala also seems to be noticing the TV more these days. We bought an aquarium activity center for her so she isn't tempted to watch tv. I have heard that too much tv watching at this young of an age can case hyperactivity later. She really like the activity center and I have noticed her trying to reach for the toys that hang down. Yesterday when I was giving her a bath, I noticed her staring intently at a comb next to the sink. She actually managed to grab the thing and it took some effert to get her to let go. That is something we will have to work on I guess. She sometimes wakes herself up when she grabs her hair and can't let go. She tries to pull her hand away but she is still holding a handful of hair.

Well, I am going to get a nap in before I have to take the trip to pick up Tala...seems like I just can't catch up with my sleep no matter how hard I try.

Talk to you all later

Sarah

Old 10-22-2005, 02:47 PM   #60
    S&J
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

S&J HB User

Hi again....

Troy doesn't even roll on his side yet....only once..i've been trying to encourage him to but he doesn't. He doesn't even try to grasp at things either. I'm going to talk to the dr about all this when we go in for his 3 mos appt...i'm starting to get concerned now since younger babies are doing much more than him!!

Sarahj--i wouldn't let troy watch tv for a long time...he only looks when we're holding him or is in his bouncy chair and i'm on the phone..doing quick housework..etc....even if he did watch tv i don't think he would watch for long since i heard babies don't pay attention long to many things...know what i mean? But i heard the dvds are great and are very short..it has music and lot's of colors. Congrats on tala sleeping 7 hours! Troy is too..sometimes even 8!
    Well...we;re going for a walk and need to start getting ready to go to G&G's..
    talkto u all soon!
    S

Closed Thread