It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• ketek side effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2005, 12:43 PM   #1
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User
    ketek side effects

Doc put me on ketek, this is my second day. I feel very dizzy. Is anyone else on ketek? Does it work for you? I don't know if I should wait it out, or just take the stuff at night and then go to bed or what. Having trouble focusing my eyes. Any input on your experience with ketek, my friends?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2005, 01:40 PM   #2
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
    Re: ketek side effects

Hi sleeperwoken.

I was on Ketek for 2 months. Unfortunately, the dose was low because I was on mega doses of Biaxin at the same time. My LLLMD dropped the Ketek and kept the Biaxin because I complained about the # of pills I had to keep track of each day(38 of them!).

I have dizziness / imbalance all the time so I wouldn't know if Ketek had that as a side effect for me.

My LLMD prescribed Ketek because of its supposed ability to cross blood-brain-barrier.

Sorry that I don't have more experience with it to be of use to you. You may want to give it a week or 2 and see if your body adjusts.

Peace and health and good luck!
    Mickie

Old 10-23-2005, 05:00 PM   #3
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi sleeperwoken. Is this side effect listed on the pharmacy print-out? If so, it may be that your body needs to adjust like Mickie suggested.

Old 10-23-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
    fotomom
    Veteran
    (female)

fotomom HB User

My Dh is doing well on Ketek.... but his liver levels are high.. they are monitoring him closely.... I have not taken that one (yet)

Old 10-24-2005, 08:01 AM   #5
    lymegirl
    Inactive
    (female)

lymegirl HB User

hi sleeperwoken

i've been on ketek for a month and changed taking it at lunchtime to dinnertime as i was getting very tired. i'm always tired but it seemed worse not sure if ketek was cause but taking closer to bedtime is working better. i'm always unbalanced so can't help you there. what is your dosage? mine is 800mg ketek & 1200 omnicef. just finished a month of this and not better but lots of herxs. i think that indicates abx working?

kim

Old 10-24-2005, 08:08 AM   #6
    cjFTWORTH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

morning sleeperwoken,

sorry you're having trouble... no exp. with drug. what other abx are you still taking? hope it settles down... carol

Old 10-24-2005, 08:21 AM   #7
    jvs
    (female)

jvs HB User

Dear sleeperwoken,
    I was on ketek for 2 months. I had the same side effects as you difficulty with my vision, dizzyness, fatigue, imbalance etc. I found that I could not drive at night. The side effects were the worst the first 2 hours after taking the drug.
    I took it at night to avoid the effects.The side effects are less after a while on the drug.
    I had very good results and after the 2 months alot of my symptoms went away, except for my numbness and tingling in my extremeties and memory problems. When I took my 1 week break off antibiotics after the ketek I was sympton free. The doctor felt it had probably killed alot of the bacteria.
    I am trying IV antibiotics now, but I would like to try the ketek again, I thouhgt it was that good.
    jvs

Old 10-24-2005, 08:17 PM   #8
    ncgirl88
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ncgirl88 HB User

I took it for three weeks - had a nasty herx migraine the third week when I added flagyl. I forget what dose I was taking - I want to say 750 mg a day...I did not have dizziness though...i always ate with it...

Old 10-24-2005, 08:40 PM   #9
    dealer1111
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

dealer1111 HB User

I am on ketek, and have been for a long time.
    I take 800mg per day.

1-Its the one antibiotic that I think works the best in the long run, through my experience and even mentioned it to Dr. Jemsek (whom I saw a couple days ago).

2-I get dizzy, and very blurred vission, starting two hours after taking it.

3-But when I go off of it, this is when I can see how well it works. I'm being pulsed on antibiotics. This has been the best treatment for me, reaction very good.

4-About feeling good after stopping antibiotics, or worse. I was told by Dr. Jemsek that antibiotics are also - or cause toxins in the body. When you stop them your body reacts. I forget what he said exactly so I won't try to quote him. But he did mention that after a few days or so, after stopping antibiotics many people feel better.

Good luck all.

Old 10-25-2005, 05:57 AM   #10
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Hi everyone,

As I read through Dr. Crist's protocol I am nearing the end and kind of jumped ahead a little and what he does is after you are symptom free for a certain amount of time he has you go off abx for a specified time and then gives you a huge dose to see if you herx. If I read correctly he actually does this a couple of times to be sure. It sounds reasonable. I hope all of his plans work. They seem to be well thought out. Either that or he came to some of them by following his patients.

I have to tell you about something he said concerning doctor - patient relationship. He is now doing some things because the patients requested it and it has worked and he said you must always listen to your patients. He said that is called medical studies 101 at college. I loved that he said that but realize a lot of doctors we have seen slept in during that class.

Maureen

Old 10-25-2005, 08:31 AM   #11
    raleigh86
    (female)

raleigh86 HB User
    To:ekim1111 Re: ketek side effects

I saw where you recently visited Dr. Jemsek. Do you see him for all your appts? I ususally see someone else, but will see Dr. J in Dec. I am wondering how this appt. will be compared to my previous. I will be interested to see if he will make any changes in my protocol.

I am not on any meds at this time. After 1 year on all these meds, not feeling 1 bit better, taking probiotics from day 1, my esophagus can no longer handle pills and capsules. I contacted my lyme practitioner and she said to stop everything for 2 weeks, which is up this week. I can swallow food and drink, but any pill seems to scrape along my esophagus, causing great pain and burning. It burns so badly, I feel like I am breathing fire.

I recently visited with an ND. She had lyme 2 years ago and almost died. I know she was on IV. I was so taken by surprise when she revealed this, that I never asked her who treated her and for how long.

I put myself in her hands for the time being. She must know what she is talking about, and at least knows how lyme really feels. Since I made no progress on 1 year of drugs, I am willing to give her a few months to treat me. She urged me to keep my appt. with Dr. J in Dec. She also realizes I might feel worse and need antibiotics.

I took ketek for several weeks. I noticed it causing dizziness, even taking it only at bedtime. Everything now take causes dizziness, so trying something new is always very distressing.

Take care...

Raleigh86

Old 10-25-2005, 06:20 PM   #12
    dealer1111
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

dealer1111 HB User

First off don't cancel your appointment with Jemsek. I've been all over the USA and Europe, seen many doctors, your in good hands there, this I really believe.

It sounds like to me your experiencing heartburn, or have maybe an ulcer? Not a doctor just wondering?

Do foods upset your stomach and cause any burning feelings?

Your lucky to have such a great clinic that understands Lyme, trust them for whatever time is needed…

PS. Sorry your sick, I know many people in trouble with Lyme and related illnesses.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:25 PM   #13
    Pearlscale
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pearlscale HB User

I too go to Jemsek. He has me on carafate which coats and numbs so you will not have heartburn or stomach problems. You might want to check on this. I do have my favorites at jemseks office. Susan B. is one. Michelle in Infusion. (she is infusion manager) I have seen Jemsek twice. He is very knowledgable. I feel forunate to be going to his clinic. Even though he has said I have a very long road ahead, he has given me hope where no other doctor will even discuss it. Hang in there. Keep us posted. I do go back myself Friday to Infusion. Prayers Marsha

Old 10-26-2005, 08:07 AM   #14
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User

thank you all for your replies and your help. I ended up taking the ketek at night and that seems to be the solution to my problems. FYI the drug is very effective, it seems to be working extremely well, I feel good. I am able to concentrate, the lights in my office don't bother me anymore, and I have no joint pain at all anywhere, even in my hips which has been my trouble spot all along. Doing very well over here, feeling pretty thankful today.

I should note that I recently started taking noni extract and artemisinin also, maybe some credit is due there, I don't know.

Closed Thread