It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Some concerns over a few things I'm experiencing.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-04-2005, 02:34 PM   #1
    Worldwide
    (male)

Worldwide HB User
    Some concerns over a few things I'm experiencing.

Hi everyone,

First off, I'd like to note that I usually worry about things over nothing, so if that appears to be the case here, please let me know.

Over the past 2 months, I've been experiencing slight discomfort (feels like minor gas pain) in my abdomen, mostly along the sides and radiating to the back/kidney area. I've also noticed that my stool has been been rather flat as well, the closest thing I can compare it to is a snickers bar cut in half lengthwise. I asked my doctor about this and he said the stool was most likely caused by my rectal sphincter not relaxing during my bowel movements, and he told me to relax. My stool is still thin but I haven't lost any sleep over it.

The past two weeks, I've been experiencing quite a bit of stomach discomfort, with the pain reaching very far down my abdomen. I even had to go to emergency with what was later called a spastic colon. I've been paying attention for blood in my stool, but fortunately there is none that I can see. The stool is still thin, and tests for a bacterial or viral infection in my stomach/intestional tract have turned up negative.

In full, I'm currently experiencing the thin stool, mild stomach/bowel discomfort, and lately I've been quite tired. My appetite seems to be normal, though I get full quite quickly these days. Also of note, I have gained about 70 pounds in the past 3 years due to inactivity after some anxiety disorder problems (I currently weigh 220 lbs.) and I used to drink more than I probably should have (to excess at least once every two weeks).

Is it worth seeking another opinion about these things? Or would I just be pestering another doctor? Thanks to anyone who can lend a hand.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2005, 10:39 PM   #2
    maria_z
    (female)

maria_z HB User
    Re: Some concerns over a few things I'm experiencing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Worldwide
    Hi everyone,

Is it worth seeking another opinion about these things? Or would I just be pestering another doctor? Thanks to anyone who can lend a hand.
    I think it would be worth seeking another opinion. If anything it will put your mind at rest. Good luck.

maria_z

Old 11-08-2005, 05:44 AM   #3
    wingedunicorn
    (female)

wingedunicorn HB User

I had exactly the same symptoms, 10 years ago I had been diagnosed with IBS then just a few months ago my symptoms got worse, constant pain in my side, flat stools, bleeding etc. I went back to the doctor 2 months ago and last Tuesday I went for a sigmoidoscopy they found 2 polyps. Im not saying thats what they will find for you but you MUST get it seen to, If nothing else it will give you peace of mind.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:44 AM   #4
    olgie
    (female)

olgie HB User

I know its not easy being told this but the best bet is to really get a sigmoidscopy from your GP. this will put your mind at rest. at best it is probably ibs

Old 11-09-2005, 06:55 AM   #5
    Worldwide
    (male)

Worldwide HB User

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I will certainly suggest a sigmoidoscopy to my doctor, or if I do in fact see a different doctor.

A bit of a relief though: I decided to try fibre pills to see if it alleviated the problem with narrow stool, and boy did it ever. I guess my doc was right, and I probably was straining too hard. I'm still keeping an eye out for blood, and I noticed quite a bit of red in my stool this morning, but I'm almost certain it's from the red pepper I ate before bed last night. I'll avoid red foods for now to take that bit of uncertainty away, but I certainly feel a little better right now. Thanks again everyone, and I'll keep you posted should anything else develop.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:32 AM   #6
    wingedunicorn
    (female)

wingedunicorn HB User

Good luck with everything!

Closed Thread