It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Lipitor and Leg Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-04-2005, 02:36 PM   #1
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User
    Angry Lipitor and Leg Pain

has anyone else had severe leg pain diagnosed as SCIATICA or a pinched nerve when on Lipitor? My best friend, 60, had such terrible sciatica she had to CRAWL up the stairs; she couldn't even walk. She had had her Lipitor
    dosage increased to 40mg (they keep increasing it since it doesn't work, evidently). After painkillers and physical therapy she's ok now but not back to normal after that.
    I think these physicians KNOW more about Lipitor and leg / buttock pain then they're willing to admit except privately to each other I am trying to get her to take garlic supplements and omega-3's.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sustasha For This Useful Post:
    djc4294 (04-04-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2005, 06:19 PM   #2
    hankypank
    (female)

hankypank HB User
    Re: Lipitor and Leg Pain

sorry to hear about your problems with lipitor. I had the same problems after being on it for about 5 years. I slowly deveoped ankle pain, first in one ankle and the other. I went to many doctors. Orthopedics/podiatrists/ as well as my internist. I was told to exercise the ankle to relieve the pain. I was given specific exercises. The pain got worse. I tore my achelies tendon on the right and had burcites on the left. Then I tore my miniscus on the left knee/ after surgery I tore the gastroc muscle on the right calf. then I herniated the the s1/s2 disc in my back. I finally asked my doctor could Lipitor be causing these problems? And suddenly he looked at me and said yes. I went off Lipitor Haven't had a problem with my legs since. But, Everytime I take a cholesterol medication. I get some sort of muscle pain. Chest Pain/ tiredness or some side effect. But I'm still trying to get my chol down. even tried over the counter meds. No luck same problems. But I'll keep trying Good luck to you

Old 11-04-2005, 08:09 PM   #3
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Just be aware that she might really have sciatica, caused by a pinched nerve or a disc problem. Just because she is on Lipitor doesn't necessarily mean that it is related to the leg pain. It could be purely coincidental that the back/nerve/leg happened while she is on Lipitor.

I have sciatica occasionally, and I've never been on a statin. It all started from a back injury from lifting something back in the early 1970s. Not only did I have such spasms from what was apparently a disc problem and have the pain shoot into my leg, but the spasms occurred every several seconds and would send me into a fetal position. Back then my husband had to carry me to the bathroom; I couldn't even crawl. Thankfully, after a four-day hospitalization, I didn't have to have surgery and, though I did get sciatica severely enough to send me to bed for a day or two several times over the years, I never have had to have the surgery my doctor anticipated would be in my future.

Of course, it is possible that your friend's pain could, in fact, have been a side-effect of Lipitor. But so many people get true sciatica that I certainly wouldn't make any assumptions about that. If your friend goes off the Lipitor and the pain disappears, then it MIGHT have been from the Lipitor, though like mine, many people have sciatica which just disappears, only to re-appear years later. If your friend goes off Lipitor and the pain disappears, then goes back on Lipitor and it re-appears, this would be a much better indication that the two are related.

Old 11-05-2005, 06:03 AM   #4
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SusanGene
    has anyone else had severe leg pain diagnosed as SCIATICA or a pinched nerve when on Lipitor? My best friend, 60, had such terrible sciatica she had to CRAWL up the stairs; she couldn't even walk. She had had her Lipitor
    dosage increased to 40mg (they keep increasing it since it doesn't work, evidently). After painkillers and physical therapy she's ok now but not back to normal after that.
    I think these physicians KNOW more about Lipitor and leg / buttock pain then they're willing to admit except privately to each other I am trying to get her to take garlic supplements and omega-3's.
    SusanGene,

Sorry to hear about your friend's sciatica - I can sympathize - I had it for years due to a ruptured disc, and eventually had a fusion operation.

I am no advocate for statins - I think they should be legitimately prescribed for only a small group (middle aged men with several heart disease risk factors). They are the most over-prescribed class of drugs today (IMHO).

However, I doubt that Lipitor has anything to do with your friend's sciatica problem. That is a mechanical problem caused by something (usually a bulging or ruptured disc) pressing against the sciatic nerve. Statins can cause muscular problems (chronic pain and weakness), or peripheral neuropathy (tingling or burning sensation in the extremeties), but I doubt they could cause disc problems.

Your friend is on a very high dose of Lipitor - and I'd urge her to be aware of any sudden, unexplained muscle pain or weakness, or cognitive problems like sudden forgetfulness...

However, I think she should see an orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon about her back problem.

HubbleRules

Old 11-05-2005, 12:22 PM   #5
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User

thanks to both of you. You are right; it possibly could be unrelated to the lipitor. I think it'll take time and the testimonies of thousands of Lipitor
    patients before we'll know anything for certain.
    She is doing well now. But she's not as good as she used to be as far as some discomfort in her leg is concerned. I sent her some messages I cut and paste of other Lipitor patients and she is going to start on Garlique for cholesterol and hopefully Niacin (B2). she is going to continue to take the LIP. but Might cut back on the dosage and then see how she's doing when she goes in for her tests again.

Old 11-05-2005, 01:46 PM   #6
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SusanGene
    thanks to both of you. You are right; it possibly could be unrelated to the lipitor. I think it'll take time and the testimonies of thousands of Lipitor
    patients before we'll know anything for certain.
    She is doing well now. But she's not as good as she used to be as far as some discomfort in her leg is concerned. I sent her some messages I cut and paste of other Lipitor patients and she is going to start on Garlique for cholesterol and hopefully Niacin (B2). she is going to continue to take the LIP. but Might cut back on the dosage and then see how she's doing when she goes in for her tests again.
    SusanGene,

I would strongly recommend that while your friend is on Lipitor, that she take CoQ10 - at least 100mg/day. Statins deplete the body of CoQ10 - which is needed by the muscles to produce energy. This depletion is thought to be part of the reason why statins cause musclular problems.

I was on Lipitor for about 7 years when my doctor combined it with Tricor, and within months I was almost an invalid. I had so much pain in both my arms, I could hardly lift anything. I was also profoundly weak, and could barely exercise. I've been off statins and fibrates for 20 months now and have fully recovered. I wish I had known about the need to take CoQ10 while on statins before I ran into my problem... Could have saved myself a lot of agony...

I'm using Policosanol now, and I still take 75mg CoQ10 daily (plus Vitamin E and C, Folic Acid, and try to limit my saturated fats and trans fats and sugars and refined carbs...).

HubbleRules

Closed Thread