It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• when do babies develop the pincer grasp?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-06-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
    Momof2kids2005
    (female)

Momof2kids2005 HB User
    when do babies develop the pincer grasp?

just wondering when i go to sit my baby in highchair to eat his cereal he sometimes just looks to the side to see what is going on around the room and he still eats but i have to literally walk around the side to have him open his mouth and sometimes he sits and cries cause he gags so i just give him his bottle he's 8 1/2 months old. anyway if he doesn't look at me when i am feeding him his cereal will he pick stuff up off the highchair like when do they develop the pincer grasp when they pick stuff up? I am waiting til his appointment end of this month when the doc okays tablefood but still he gags if the cereal get's a little thick and he cries how can he handle table food? anyone else going through this. My baby is very sensitive if anything bothers him even choking he will scream. I am mentioning a lot to his pedi the end of this month.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2005, 04:47 AM   #2
    Kiera1595
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiera1595 HB User
    Re: when do babies develop the pincer grasp?

Is he eating jar food yet? Does that make him choke? I know that DD will make the choking noise if she just doesn't like the taste or if I give her too big of a mouthful. Maybe the bites are just too big or he's getting tired of the taste. DD started doing the pincer grasp at 6 months (she's 8 months now). I think DS took a little bit longer. Of course all kids are different. Why don't you try giving him some cheerios or better yet, those Gerber poofs. Those things dissolve in about 2 seconds in their mouth. See how he does with it. I think DD's favorite activity is feeding herself, maybe your son will get a kick out of it too! Have you tried Zweibeck toast. That might be good for him too. Fun to gnaw on and hold, but they really get very little into their mouths at one time. It might get his gag reflexes to settle down a bit.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:18 AM   #3
    I_love_lucy
    (female)

I_love_lucy HB User

Babies usually develop the pincer grasp between 9 & 10 months of age. My daughter is 8 1/2 months old too...she gags on occasion when feeding her...it's only if she does not like what I'm giving her.

She does not eat table food yet...she is just now getting 2 teeth!! She eats number 2 baby foods. She already has developed her pincer grasp. Yet she does not sit up on her own yet independently...you put her on the floor and she can sit up...leans forward and can pick something up...but when she gets tired she just lets herself fall backwards straight to the floor!!

When you read up on the timeline for things that babies do...it's all different..babies learn at their own rate...some sooner than others. My other kids got teeth at 4 months.

Yet she has been saying mama...dada...baba since 6 months..which is early. I'm sure your baby is right on schedule for him.

Last edited by I_love_lucy; 11-07-2005 at 05:19 AM.

Old 11-07-2005, 09:05 AM   #4
    Momof2kids2005
    (female)

Momof2kids2005 HB User

i havent given him any cheerios or anything he hates all juice he hates all babyfood LOL he somewhat likes pears on occasion thats why i stuck to the cereal. He gags at times and screams cause he is gagging. he always just wants to see what is going on and not me trying to feed him but when the bottle is there he wants that of course. he also cries after i feed him cereal and his bottle i don't understand then he's ok. so i wish i could try other stuff but he hates everything. he sits for a little too on the floor but leans forward and sometimes let's himself fall.

Old 11-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #5
    Dani Girl 78
    Veteran
    (female)

Dani Girl 78 HB User

My son developed his pincer grasp at about 7 1/2 mths. He never gags when I feed him jarred food or cereal. He loves cheerios and the fruit and veggies puffs ,also loves any things else that is on the floor that he can stick in his mouth...I'm constantly pulling something out of his mouth....grrrr! I have started to give him whole wheat bread and crackers, and other odds and ends, not really table food yet.

So it is at 9mths that you can give them table food?? My son had his 9mth check up at 8 1/5mths and my hubby took him so I didn't get to ask any questions.

He is 9 mths old today....HOLY COW, the time has gone by so quickly!!

Old 11-07-2005, 02:40 PM   #6
    I_love_lucy
    (female)

I_love_lucy HB User

He hates all baby food and juice?? My daughter loves most of the food and loves all the jucies...boy you must be so frustrated...I know that when I feed her something she does not like she will spit it straight out...or bat the spoon down with her hand.

She also likes her cereal...mixed with food though..she will eat ice cream and,pudding..but since she only is just now getting 2 teeth I haven't tried any real table foods...but she does gag when giving her something she does not like...you must be at your wits end..feeding time should be a good experience...not such a struggle.

Find a fruit that he likes and try mixing it with other fruits to see if you can get more than one fruit into him. ahve you tried watering down a juice ?...cut it a little with water so it won't taste so strong.

Last edited by I_love_lucy; 11-07-2005 at 02:40 PM.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:32 PM   #7
    Momof2kids2005
    (female)

Momof2kids2005 HB User

i love lucy yeah i try mixing everything etc and he just makes that face and gags so bad like he is gonna throw up and cries it's no fun

Closed Thread