It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• August Moms/August Babies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-22-2005, 12:05 PM   #166
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User
    Re: August Moms/August Babies

Hi,
    Well we had Christmas pictures taken on Sunday, we all wore black, red and cream, it looked really nice, but man it was hard to get both kids to look the same direction and smile at the same time.
    We haven't had much tummy time lately so Kaden hasn't rolled from his belly to his back since that one day, but lastnight I layed him on the middle of my bed with his head elevated on a pillow and he tried to roll onto his belly, he was turning his head so far it was so close.
    I think they start slowing down thier weight gains around this time because they are eating less often, and are more active, so they burn off more between feeds. Kaden has a Dr appointment next week so I'll see how much he weighs now. He has a very dry scalp right now...not cradle cap though, just dry flaky skin. I only wash his hair every 2nd or 3rd day now and I put Aveeno Baby lotion for dry skin on his head but it doesnt seem to want to go away.
    Boo, I think it may be early still for our little ones to sleep through the entire nights, their teeny stomachs are onlt the size of their fist so it won't keep them full for very long. Kierra was an abnormally great sleeper but she started sleeping for 8 hrs straight the end of Februaray when she was just over 6 months old, In May (9 months old)she was regularly going to bed at 9pm and would wake at 7am for a feeding then sleep for another 3 hours.
    Kaden isn't too fond of gripe water either, Kierra used to love hers though, a friend of mine said to experiment with brands because sometimes the different brands taste different.
    Well I should go I want to go get some Christmas shopping done today. Talk to you all soon.
    Oh! I read in my little Baby & Child Care Encyclopaedia that the OBs office had given me that some of the hints that baby is ready for solids are:
    *holds own head up
    *can sit with or without support
    *likes to put things in his/her mouth
    *makes up and down chewing motions
    *breastfeeds more than 10 times per day, or drinks more than 40oz of formula
    My Enfalac nutrition chart says 0-4 months is breastmilk and formula only, then 4-6 months you can add single grain cereals, then at 6 months solid baby foods can be added.
    K Kaden is ready for a nap so I have to go, Talk to you all soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2005, 12:18 PM   #167
    Kiedy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiedy HB User

kierrasmommy

Oh, I''m so happy you listed the ways to tell if baby is ready for cereal, I knew most of them, except I could not tell how much he was eating since he is breastfed, so I'm glad you said 10 times or more. This I didn't know, I will count now. thanks

Old 11-24-2005, 12:45 AM   #168
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

You're welcome...I went shopping and bought cereal for Kaden so after his pediatrician appointment next week, if he has the go ahead, I can start right away...they have alot more selection than they did when Kierra was at that stage and that was just 3 1/2 years ago...anyway Nestle has a "starter" cereal which is easiest to digest for first timers, then they go into stages after that and it lists how old they should be on each stage...example stage 1 was 6 months so I'm assuming starter is around 4 months.
    Kaden has been doing something else that my DH neglected to tell me...today I dropped off Kaden at my sisters so I could take Kierra to her first dentist appointment (which went really well) and when I got back, my sister was really excited to show me that when she layed Kaden in a semi reclined position and held her arms out to him and said come here, he'd tense up and try to sit up, so tonight I showed DH and he said Kaden had been doing it for awhile, he would hold him semi-sitting and Kaden would try to sit up more straight. DH even tried to show me and sure enough Kaden made himself sit up further...I even tried to sit Kaden on the couch tonight and get a video of his quivery lip thing he does and he was forcing himself to sit up so I had to keep pushing him back and or catching him. He is also doing really good at playing with his toys on his boucy chair or his exersauser now, he more or less hits them to make them make noise, I also have a stuffed frog that I slipped between the wall and his change table and he is always trying to hit that guy, he even gets mad I assume because he is trying to grab hold of it and haven't quite figured that part out yet.
    Kierra and Kaden had thier picture taken with Santa today too, Kaden couldn't have cared less...which is total opposite of what Kierra was like when she had her first Santa experience, her first Santa pic she is screaming her head off, she had started playing strange already, which makes me wonder if that stage is soon to come within the next couple weeks with Kaden...Kierra and his birthdays are only 10 days apart so that would mean any day now if it is an age related stage.
    Any of your babies started playing strange yet?
    Well, I should go. I have a busy day tomorrow then DH's Christmas party Friday then a seminar on Saturday so I should really get some sleep.

Old 11-24-2005, 10:06 AM   #169
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

oops double posted.
    I typed all my stuff lastnight but when I tried posting it it was taking forever so I just logged off and came back on this morning to post but I guess it still posted me anyway...weird because when I clicked on the thread it said Kiedy was the last to reply not me! LOL
    And there is a 3 hour time difference between what the computer says and what it actually is here...so it always looks like I get no sleep because I'm typing at 2 or 4am, but in actuality our time is 3 hours before the Healthboards computer time.
    K, I gotta go now so talk to you all soon.

Last edited by kierrasmommy; 11-24-2005 at 10:11 AM.

Old 11-24-2005, 11:29 AM   #170
    Spanish
    Veteran
    (female)

Spanish HB User

Hello All

I hope you are all well and your babies are happy. My DD is just sooo cute at the moment. She's really finding her voice and spends hours aaahhing and oooing. A couple of times I've woken up in the night and I can hear she's awake not because she's crying but because she's cooing away to herself. Last night DH and I just lay there for 20minutes chuckling at the sounds coming through the monitor. Mind you it would have been even more cute if if hadn't been 2.30am!! LOL! As of today she's found a new noise. She says her normal 'Ahhh' and then blows a rasberry, so we get a lovely 'ahh-bleugh' sort of noise. It makes me laugh so much.

DH is downstairs giving her a bottle of expressed milk at the moment. We are trying to get her used to taking a bottle so that I can go out occasionally. Mmmm I'm really looking forward to that! Also so that we can leave her with her grandparents and DH and I can go out for a meal of something together.

Is anyone else having weird sleeping problems? DD was going on average 9pm to 5am (she's 15 weeks old now) but suddenly in the last week she's started waking up around 2am for a feed and then again at around 6am. After that she goes back down until about 9am. I am completely exhausted. Sometimes I think it's because she's got herself twisted around and has her head against the cot bars. I guess that wakes her up and then she decides shes hungry (I do try settling her without feeding but it doesn't work). But other times I have no idea why she's decided to start waking up in the middle of the night again. Sigh!

It sounds lovely and quiet downstairs so hopefully the bottle is going well. I think I'll go down and check.....bye for now.

Spanish

Old 11-24-2005, 11:54 AM   #171
    Laur77
    Veteran
    (female)

Laur77 HB User

Logan has really found his voice as well. Sometimes he likes to scream at the top of his lungs. But it's not an "I'm upset scream", it's a "hey, I've got a voice, and I'm going to use it" scream! He does it mostly when we're playing, and I go in for a zurbert (sp?). I'm glad we don't have neighbours too close by, or they might think I am hurting him!! He's also started laughing, it's this real deep-troated chuckle. Sooo cute. He is getting real strong. When he's on his belly he can hold his whole chest up and look around. I put him on the bed like this and then kneel on the floor on the side of the bed facing him so he has to lift up to look at me. Then I duck down and pop back up and say "Peek a Boo!!" He goes crazy! I don't know who has more fun, him or me. They really have such a personality now don't they?
    I went to a baby-food making workshop the other day, which was great. Got lots of good info. The public health nurse that put it on said that it is now recommended by some to wait until 6 months for even cereal! I don't think I want to wait that long.
    Well we've got a snow storm going on today, which is kind of nice. I always like the first snow, but wish it would go away after Christmas!

Old 11-24-2005, 03:29 PM   #172
    Boo Boo
    Veteran
    (female)

Boo Boo HB User

Kiedy thanks for the advice,

Kierrasmommie; l agree perhapes it is too early for little ones to sleep through the nite, dd has started to wake up 3 times in the night this past week? sometimes for a feed. However,today she has drove me mad, she keeps crying it s not collic nor wind l think she may be teething she keeps putting her finger in her moth and l think she is trying to rub her gums? l have got a headache from her crying so far she has been crying none stop for like 15 minutes l dont know what to do she wants me to hold her. She normally goes off to sleep,, HELP

Kierrasmommie you are correct about the weaning things, Annaum is definitly NOT READY TO BE WEANED. She is 14 weeks and is quite happy with milk. However, she has been rather fussy lately in drinking, she cries alot and poos alot so i think she is teething. Im going ot get some poder for her gums l have heard Ashton and Parsons is really good. Its herbal? will let yo uknow how l get on. I have a terrible headache from Annaum ' s crying and feel distressed so am going.

Old 11-25-2005, 01:14 PM   #173
    Spanish
    Veteran
    (female)

Spanish HB User

Hi Laur77: My local health visitors don't recommend weaning before 6 months. Apparently that's the World Health Organisation recommendation now. She did say it was only a recommendation and you needed to take your cue from your baby by looking for the signs that they are ready to wean. She also said that you can start to give them little spoonfulls of food before six months - not for nutrition but just so they can start to get used to different tastes. I'm planning to start doing that from about 5 - 5 1/2 months and then start weaning properly from 6 months...unless DD clearly is ready for solids before then of course!

Spanish

Old 11-25-2005, 07:58 PM   #174
    S&J
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

S&J HB User

Hello All!
    I'm glad to hear that everyone is doing great....except for those of you who are having sleepless nights I had one of those a few nights ago and i'm still recovering!
    Yesterday Troy was having a weird feeding day.....wed. nite he was up a lot...i think it was because we spent all day Christmas shopping...anyways i fed him at 9pm..and usually he'll go until 5-7am..well he ate at 12am and then 6am and then 9:30am and then not until 3:30pm!! 6 hour difference! Everytime I tried to feed him he screamed...a couple of times i gave him gripe water because I thought maybe he had an upset tummy....After his 3:30pm feed i fed him again at 7pm...he went to sleep at about 8pm and didn't wake up until 6:00am this morning for a feed.! Last night i was wide awke from 3am until 6am..making sure that he was ok. I know this is a lot of numbers to read but has anyone else found that their little ones are going longer?
    Today he was better...going about 3-4 hours in between feeds.

I bought the heinz beginner rice cereal....i'm going to start introducing him to that in the next few weeks. He's 4mos today! I know i ended up a july mommy...i was suppose to have ds aug 15th...but i talked to you august mommies until the end!

When we went shopping i bought the cutest little santa outfit for Troy to wear when he goes to see Santa! It was from The Bay....and some other cute Christmas outfits.

Troy still doesn't do much tummy time...he's really kicking his legs and laughing too. I think soon he'll just get mad enough and flip himself over! He's also starting to squeal with excitement, and "talk" back to people when they talk to him. I love when dh comes home from work and Troy will be in my arms and he'll starting waving his arms up and down with a huge smile on his face!! He also is trying to sit up..it's so cute when he's in his swing or bouncy chair he'll be trying hard to sit up! He's also starting to grab things..and bounce up and down in his exersaucer thing..i'm going to get a jolly jumper soon and i'm sure he'll enjoy that!

Well i've written enough! I hope you're all doing great and talk to you soon!
    S

m/c *angel* 10 weeks July/04
    IUI's-2 for bfp Sept 27/07

Old 11-26-2005, 08:26 AM   #175
    Boo Boo
    Veteran
    (female)

Boo Boo HB User

Hi all,

Good to hear from you all.

I agree with Spanish about the weaning factor and the WHO IS correct. Annaum and l have been invited to our local health centre for a weaning session.

I did try the Ashton and Parsons powder for Annaum and it did help slightly, however, all this week has been terrible for Annaum. Sh ehas not been able to sleep till like 1 am in the morning. Im certain she must be teething and her milk patterns have totally changed. Like she can wake up 11 am or 12 pm and drink only 2 -3 ounces then she will not drink for perhapes another 1-2 hours and then she may have like 5 ounces more its soooo bizarre. My health visitos tells me Annaum is teething.

Oh well, we ar enow off to a family party Annaums first one! as we missed a previous one so it should be exciting.

Old 11-26-2005, 07:39 PM   #176
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Hi everyone,
    Boo, she sounds like she may have started teething but the whacky eat sleep schedules could also be the next growth spurt, they tend to eat more when they are going through that.
    We had DH's Christmas party Friday night, my sister came to our house to babysit, I thought it'd be better if he was in his own element. He was good for the first part of the night, drank his bottle and had a nap but then later I guess he had enough of all that business and wanted Mommy. My sister couldn't get him to eat or sleep, eventually he ate a bit and fell asleep on her chest so she stayed very still and practically whispered on the phone when I called to check in. When I got home he was half asleep but as soon as he heard me, his head popped up and he was watching my every move, when I finally got to hold him he was all smiles and was burrying his head in my neck and chest...looking for a snack, once he ate he slept for 5 1/2 hours...I guess his restless night tired him out. LOL
    Well, I should go, Talk to you all soon. Take care.
    P.S Even when I started Kierra on cereal and solids I still breastfed her and gave her breastmilk in her cereal...she didn't wean until 9 months...I'll let you all know what the pediatrician says this week about it.

Old 11-26-2005, 08:49 PM   #177
    S&J
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

S&J HB User

Kierrasmommy,
    We went out for a couple of hours last friday night..and had my parents come in to babysit..Troy was the same way. I fed him and he usually stays awake for a few mintues after and then i rock him to sleep...so i called m&d to tell them that he's almost asleep so they could come in....I too thought it would be easier for G&G to come in so he would sleep right away and not fuss like he does if he's out at G&G's..well..he didn't want to let himself fall asleep, everytime i put him in his crib he was wide awake! It was like he knew dh and I were leaving...my mom said he was wide awake until 11pm...and then finally went down. We got home at 12:30am and he woke up at 5am.
    I thought it was interesting that he would sense that something different was happening!

Tomorrow we're going to a family gathering and are staying in a hotel...this will be Troy's first experience in a hotel..and i'm a little stressed about waking the rooms next to us! I'm kind of excited because the hotel has a pool and we're going to take Troy for his first pool experience!

Well i have a million more things to do for tomorrow!
    Hope everyone is well!
    S

m/c *angel* 10 weeks July/04
    IUI's-2 for bfp Sept 27/07

Old 11-27-2005, 03:45 AM   #178
    Boo Boo
    Veteran
    (female)

Boo Boo HB User

Kierrasmommie, Yes it could be a growth spurt! well Annaum was well behaved at her first social family gathering

We have shaves Annaums hair its been a weak and she lookes like a little monk! lol oh l wish we could post pics up it would be sooooo nice to see you and your babies!

Anyway Annaum did sleep at 12. am last nite. I think the powder l am using is great (for her teething), l told my mum about it and she did some research and told me it was plain old Chamomile in a small quantity. This probably explains why Annaum was asleep till 1 pm in the afternoon!

Did l mention that Annaum is being reffered to the childrens hospital to have her pre-natal teeth checked? have no date yet will keep you posted. Her second tooth has started to come through.

Is anyone considering returning/ planning to go back to work?

Old 11-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #179
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Hi,
    Well, that was nice that you guys got to go out and enjoy yourselves, I enjoyed DH's Christmas party but thought about Kaden and Kierra far too much...typical Mommy. And that is great that Annaum was well behaved for the family get together, did she go in the pool after all? I have a pair of the cutest Hawaiin print swim shorts for Kaden but I haven't gotten around to taking him to the pool, I can't go without DH or my sister to watch Kierra as I'd have my hands full with Kaden, but I do want to go soon.
    Kaden has been quite the cranky pants lately, I don't see any signs of a tooth so I am beginning to wonder if he is just at the stage where he needs more food, like cereal...I will wait to ask the Dr but I am almost sure he just needs something more filling in his belly...when I started Kierra on cereal I'd feed her or tablespoons of cereal and then breastfeed her right after to top her up, so I don't even consider that weaning even though she was eating solids.
    Well, I should go, I will talk to you all soon.
    Take care.
    P.S Tomorrow night I am having a scrapbooking party...I wanted to get into scrapbooking after Kierra but didn't have time, but last month I started and it is so much fun, so I am looking forward to tomorrow's party...I think I am going to do Kadens first page...it'll be a fall theme from when I took pics of the kids in the fall leaves.
    P.S.S Boo...what will they do about the teeth? I really am curious to see what her teeth look like, I've never seen that before...must be cute though! I think I may do a scrapbook page for Kaden "All I Want For Christmas Is My Front Teeth" theme....with his big gummy smiley face. LOL

Last edited by kierrasmommy; 11-27-2005 at 02:24 PM.

Old 11-28-2005, 05:47 AM   #180
    Boo Boo
    Veteran
    (female)

Boo Boo HB User

Ha ha ha (Kierrasmommie) scrappy book sounds fun! Annaum looks so sweet!They just look like normal teeth but smalllllllll No Annaum not been in the pool yet! I twill need two fi us to manage that. However, she has started to enjoy bath times more now. However, she is still really cranky too from 10.30 pm onwards last nite she would not sleep till 1 am l was near enuff to tearing my hair out! im pms too!
    Good luck with Kadens scrappy book, and l will keep you posted about Annaums tooth. Oh and its started to snow here! l showed Annaum the snow falling from the window and she quite likes it! anyway off to make a cuppa tea see you xxxxxxxx hope kierra is well too...

Closed Thread