It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Respitory Virus gave me Anxiety! (long)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-22-2005, 08:30 PM   #1
    Inferit
    (male)

Inferit HB User
    Respitory Virus gave me Anxiety! (long)

I need some answers and dont know where to go for them.

How it all started::
    About one month ago I got sick. At the time I didn't know I was coming down with a virus and just started freaking out. The next day I went to the doctors and was told I had a Upper Respitory Infection and was given some Decongestion pills (No antibiotics). Since then every day I have been worried. Worried about freaking out again. I have to keep telling myself "You dont have Anxiety, your just sick." "Your ok, this is nothing and will pass." "Breath and relax." etc. I think you get the point.

So this morning I went back to the Doctors to get some Meds for my Sinuses. On my way to the Doctors office I hit a congested 4-way and was trapped at a Red light. As I sat their and waited I started to freak out again for no reason. I felt like I was trapped and I kept thinking about just flooring the gas pedal through the red light to get out of here. I just bit my tounge down and sweated it out. Finally got to the Doctors and she checked me out and said I have Sinusitus and was given a antibiotic to help fight the infection. I told teh Doctor about my nerviousness and she just kind of brushed it off making it sound like it wasn't a big deal. All she said was "Lets try the antibiotics for 2 weeks and then see how you feel." and that was it.

Now I'm so freaked out I'm affraid to take the antibiotics to get better. I'm affraid the Antibiotics will make me dizzy, anxious etc and make me freak out. I feel scared and nervious 24/7 since the day I got this dang virus. I never felt like this before. Sure, I had some anxiety from time to time like if I was flying on a plain or felt trapped, but it was nothing I couldn't deal with before and it wasn't a constant thing like it is now.

Do I feel nervious and scared becouse i'm still sick? Maybe when I kill this virus with Antibiotics (gulp..) I will be the way I used to be and not scared all the time. How did I get Anxiety, it just poped out of no where. Can a virus really cause someone to have Anxiety for the rest of their life? I have so many question.... but dont know where to get answer.

Any help you guys can give me about my situation will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Inferit; 11-22-2005 at 08:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2005, 09:55 AM   #2
    Inferit
    (male)

Inferit HB User
    Re: Respitory Virus gave me Anxiety! (long)

Anyone know whats going on with me? I'm still looking for some answers.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:07 AM   #3
    couger2347
    (male)

couger2347 HB User

I'm not sure but I felt alot of anxiety from a bad cold I'm just getting over. In my case it was the feeling of weakness and fatigue which sort of scared me. If you have anxiety disorder I think any changes that the body goes through will put us on high alert for possible long term problems. In my case it was and still is that feeling that I'm drained of energy. Claire weekes in her book says that phyical illness can bring back the old feelings of anxiety. Just let the body rest and it will heal with time.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:58 AM   #4
    Inferit
    (male)

Inferit HB User

couger2347, Thanks for the reply

So when you kicked your cold did the anxiety stop as well? I have been going through this now for over a month(1 mo/1week). I guess I still have the virus floating around in me since I was given Antibiotics by my Doctor to fight it. Is it possable that this Virus will trigger a long or lifetime Anxiety? I think i'm scaring myself too much.. I just hope this anxiety stops when I get this virus out of me.

The funny thing is, I dont feel sick.. All i feel is scared. I went to the doctors to get something for my congested nose. The Doctor examined me and put me on Antibiotcs. I remember when I first had this virus, it was really bad. I remember feeling sick then. But right this moment I feel fine, just scared for no reason. My nose is still a little stuffed up still. I'm just affraid that when i kick this virus i'll be left with a long term or possably for the rest of my life feeling scared.

Thats why I asked if it "Is even possable for a respitory virus to trigger Anxiety?" Maybe its something I manifested in my head and now I cant get the "thought" out.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:02 AM   #5
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

I think I might know what is going on here...

what antibiotic were you given to combat the sinus infection? Some are dangerous and can have CNS side-effects.

Also, chronic sinus issues cause fatigue, and fatigue can lead to depression.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:03 AM   #6
    Inferit
    (male)

Inferit HB User

Oh also, I don't know if this helps or not to determin whats wrong with me.. But at night, usually a few hours before I head to bed and I'm watching TV I'm anxiety free. Im not scared and I can relax. This is how it has been now ever since I got sick (1 mo/1week).

Old 11-23-2005, 11:12 AM   #7
    Inferit
    (male)

Inferit HB User

chiggins1066, thx for the reply

I had this Anxiety problem before I got antibiotics. I just got my Antibiotics yesterday. My doctor put me on Clarithromycin for 2 weeks and about 1000MG a day.

Funny that you bring up my Sinuses. Its been bothering me a lot. I constatntly think about it, get dizzy etc. I bought a Humidifier and SinuCleanse to help it out with the Antibiotics.

So far I have been on this Antibiotc since yesterday night (I don't take my 3rd dose till tonight, one in morning one at night). I also had to get it in a liquid form. Those pills are freaken huge, i cant swallow them.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:59 AM   #8
    Inferit
    (male)

Inferit HB User

I almost forgot to ask..

People with Anxiety usually have high blood pressure?
    I ask becouse when I went to the doctors, she said my blood presure was good. If thats the case, maybe its just my sinuses giving me Anxiety?

Old 11-23-2005, 12:38 PM   #9
    couger2347
    (male)

couger2347 HB User

Probably the cold is gone but why does the anxiety linger? I think in my case this phyical illness brought about my old panic symptoms. The very feeling i had of needing bed rest brought back some memories of anxiety. The mind does play tricks with us. I started to feel while I was walking a feeling of weakness and fatigue which remindered me of that feeling of falling or faintness. These symptoms scared me and I became oversensitized . I proably started to think i have a real major disease and the spiral of fatigue fear fatigue began. I've read a little about how cold or flu symtoms can bring back symptoms of panic. I dont know your history of anxiety but if you have had problems in the past this will make it worse. As for how long. This to shall pass. Give yourself time to heal. It DOES go away with acceptance that it is only anxiety and giving the mind some time rest.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:19 PM   #10
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

the antibiotic is safe -no problems there.

Keep in mind however, that decongestants do make people anxious -they do that with me, especially Sudafed. The active ingrediant is the stuff they make Crystal Meth out of!

Look into getting a sinus irrigation machine, and use it with Breathe Ease XL (Xyletol), and a little Alkalol (mucus solvent). You may also want to try nasal steroids, such as Nasarel to reduce the swelling.

I have awful sinuses, so I can relate. My anxiety has been very bad since developing chronic sinus issues.

Old 11-23-2005, 02:00 PM   #11
    Inferit
    (male)

Inferit HB User

Thanks eveyone.

I'm already feeling much better as far as my worry goes. I'll just keep taking my antibiotics and hopefully my 24/7 worry will leave as well. I know what u mean by Sudafed. I took Sudafed PE once and it was horrable. I immediatly stopped taking that. Although it did clear my sinuses, but the other effects just wasn't worth it.

So far I have a humidifier running and I use SinuCleanse 2 times a day (morning and night). As far as my sinus goes... I can deal with it for a couple more weeks while my antibiotics kick in. It was just the constant 24/7 worry that was getting to me.

Anyways its good to hear some replys about whats going on with me, I really appreciate it!

Old 11-23-2005, 11:48 PM   #12
    Inferit
    (male)

Inferit HB User

Just took my 3rd dose of Clarithromycin (antibiotic) and used my Sinucleanse about 3 hours ago. About 15 minutes after taking my meds I had a full blown panic attack (I think) while watching "South Park". Heart was beating extreamly hard, very dry mouth, felt like I was hot, and was sweating a little on my head. I initally thought I was having some kind of reaction with Clarithromycin, but then started to think a little about my anxiety. I started drinking a bunch of Diet Dr. Pepper (my fav drink, I have been drinking lots of water latley and thought it would make me relax easier) and started munching on a bunch of sunflower seeds, it was the only thing in reach. I kept telling myself... "Just relax it will pass." "Deep breath..1..2...3...4 exhale (this was VERY difficult too do when in a panic!)." I got that breating idea from this board. After about 15-20 minutes I started to relax and everything was back too normal. This is one of the most terrifing things I have ever been through / felt. I don't know how to discribe it, its kind of like a really bad nightmare where everything doesn't feel real if that makes sence to anyone. Now that i'm feeling better I don't know if this was anxiety (this what it really feels like?) or I really had a conflict with my meds. Now i'm feaked out about taking Clarithromycin, which is NOT good, becouse its my antibiotic for my sinuses/virus!

For about a month I was feeling nervious for no reason. I started to talk and read on this thread/forum and was feeling a lot better. I basically wasn't nervious/scared anymore and was actually feeling good. Then all the sudden this comes out of nowhere and i'm back to square one, feeling nervious and scared mostly about Clarithromycin. Scared of taking it again having another Panic attack and feeling scared that its in my system now. I don't know if I can handle another attack like that, it was horrid!

Please I need some more help. Was this panic attack associated with Anxiety? If so, how can I put my mind back to ease and continue my antibiotics? Wow, I just now thought about it... I have to do it for two weeks twice a day!

Can anyone relate to the feelings I had when I was having my panic attack? If so, how in the world do you guys handle Anxiety? I don't think I can take Anxiety medications while im on Clarithromycin(?).

Does it sound like I had a full blown panic attack? Becouse I can't imagine it getting any more worse than that.

Seeking more advice, please help. I'm still a newbie with Anxiety

Old 11-24-2005, 07:40 AM   #13
    rk33
    (male)

rk33 HB User

I went to one of the popular pharmacy web sites and it showed this med is much likw Biaxan, If thats so, I had the same problem you are having. This was in Aug. and I'm still having issues. If you get your meds from a pharmacy like walgreens or somewhere with a web site go check it out, it will give you a complete list of side affects. I felt like I was crawling out of my skin when I was taking strong anti's with lots of leg pain, kev

Closed Thread