It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anger Management Message Board

• Anger Prevailing in PMS

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2005, 11:04 AM   #16
    sunshine70
    (female)

sunshine70 HB User
    Re: Anger Prevailing in PMS

Hey girls....I have had terirble PMS my whole life and I mean BAD, esp. the emotional part. I noticed that every month like clockwork I would fly into rages and then i'd get mad and ashamed for being mad, a vicious cycyle. Well, I was put on Cymbalta (an anti-depressant)w/ little to no side effects and voila! my anger has subsided 75%. Give it a try)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2005, 04:42 AM   #17
    Hollyday
    (female)

Hollyday HB User

I agree that there is a big difference between having PMS (being overly emotional, crying a lot, snapping for no reason) and having PMDD. PMDD is like having a multiple personality disorder and there's no such thing as "it's just mind over matter" because you are not in control at all. And that second personality is unpredictable, wild and dangerous to others.

I'm glad you are investigating this now because as bad as it can be for relationships, it's 100 times worse when it comes to parenting. Can you imagine letting a raving lunatic in your house to freely abuse your children? Of course not. But that's what happens every month if you have PMDD and don't have it controlled.

For my kids' sake, I went to therapy AND started an anti-depressant. It was like a miracle. I resisted it for a long time because I didn't want to be "one of those people on Prozac" but yknow what? Who cares what anyone thinks? You have to take care of yourself and take care of these little children that depend on you.

I only wish I had been as responsible as you are and looked for a solution before I had children. If you take charge now, you'll be a great mom later.

Old 11-27-2005, 05:48 AM   #18
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

Hollyday, may I ask what medication you're taking for pmdd?

Old 12-04-2005, 10:37 PM   #19
    Hollyday
    (female)

Hollyday HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by americandancer
    Hollyday, may I ask what medication you're taking for pmdd?
    I was prescribed Prozac. But instead of just taking it 2 weeks a month, I took it daily because I thought it would work better if it had a steady level in my body. It worked really well to muffle my anger spells. They still happened, but at a more controllable level and not nearly so wild.

However, 3 months ago I got off the Prozac (after 7 years of daily use) because I really really wanted to be able to live a normal life without a pill. At first things were ok but now I'm raving again. I have anger issues anyway, they were just exacerbated at certain times of the month. Now even my so-called "good days" are getting filled back up with rage.

I hate my mouth sometimes!!! I just have no control of some of the horrible things I say! I'm thinking about getting on St. John's Wort because it works like an anti-depressant. Isn't it funny that anti-depressants help with uncontrollable anger??? I'm not depressed, I just want to blast everyone I meet!

I guess this really should have been a different thread because it's a whole other issue. Sorry for the hijack...

Old 12-05-2005, 03:10 PM   #20
    MuskokaMommy
    (female)

MuskokaMommy HB User

One of my best friends goes through this to an extreme degree. She is the mother of 4 so you can imagine how at that time of the month, she must sound like a raging maniac. She suffers from an underactive thyroid as well, and I can't remember if that has anything to do with it. Her dr. prescribes antidepressants, and that seems to work well for her, but I know she still has very rough days. Sometimes she says she has only one week a month, where she feels normal.

Closed Thread